Buying Advice Newbie looking at FORD INDUSTRIAL backhoe

/ Newbie looking at FORD INDUSTRIAL backhoe #1  

jgmo

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota b7200- case 580b backhoe
Hello,
Brand new to Forum. I joined because I liked the look of the place.

I am headed out the door to go check out a "1960's Ford Industrial backhoe" for sale. I own 3 acres in Sunny Southern California and having a decent backhoe would really help out around the "rancho".

I know absolutely nothing about the old Ford equipment but I see that there are still a boatload of them out there running around, doing work and, even better if you need parts....rusting!

All I know about the one I'm looking at (at the moment) is that it is GAS, it has newer looking rubber, it has decent looking cosmetics and may have been stored in a shed or barn and it has not been used in 2 years.

I will update this post AFTER I check out the old girl but I was hoping that someone might chime in with any advice as to something that might be considered STAY AWAY, DO NOT TOUCH, WARNING, DANGER...sort of stuff.

So, If you have had or know of any PARTICULAR Ford backhoe horror stories that might help me to save my hard EARNED $$$ and keep me from having buyers remorse, I would really appreciate it.

I am a retired, very capable and experienced diesel mechanic so I am fully aware of how much wrenching one of these might require. I have a fully equipped barn with lathe, press and welders along with pretty much every hand tool known to mankind so doing the work doesn't scare me none. It's just that I don't like wasting my time on something that is going to break over and over again because there is some hidden engineering flaw that I can't see or figure out. So, if you've "been there, burned that down", please clue me up.

Thanks for reading.

/ Newbie looking at FORD INDUSTRIAL backhoe #2  
jgmo,

I'm in Aguanga and newer tractor shopping.

I have never heard anything bad about old Ford tractors and related equipment. Nothing, except that it is old! Therefore may need lots of TLC, which with tractors means 'tender loving cash'. :laughing:

Good luck.

/ Newbie looking at FORD INDUSTRIAL backhoe #3  
As with most any old backhoe, there is likely pins and bushings that wont be to your liking. No problem if you have a lathe. And there is also likely to have some hydraulic leaks. These issues arent brand specific. IT dont matter if its an old ford, deere, case, etc. Any backhoe that is 40+ years old will need TLC. On the positive, with most fords (and likely others also), they usually shared ALOT of main "tractor" parts with AG models. So engine rebuild kits, seals, etc are still plentiful.

Old fords are good but just depends on which ones. There was a design change in the mid 60's. The earlier ones were basically tractors with a BH attachment, and not built from the ground up to be a backhoe-strength wise. They also didnt have nearly as powerful loaders or hoes on them. But if it is a later 1960's, they were much better.

So without knowing the model or year of the machine????? Not much we can say at the moment. Do you have any pics?? Possible even from the ad that you can just copy and upload?

/ Newbie looking at FORD INDUSTRIAL backhoe
Thanks for the replies davrow and LD1
Just got back from looking her over and the pictures were MUCH better than in person. I won't knock her too bad but the owner couldn't get it started even though he said it was running last night. Which is a bit disturbing due to the fact that when we arrived and looked in the radiator, it was EMPTY! The guy was literally HOSING the carb with ether only to find that there was no spark! I HATE ETHER!!! ENGINE KILLER! You should have a license to purchase the stuff. I have seen starting fluid misused so much and today was a fairly egregious example of how NOT to use it. So, I got "put off my feed" seeing all that.

And LD1, you are so right about the Ag/Ford/backhoe thing. The fellow told me it is a Harvester 62 and his dad let slip that the backhoe was an "add on" since the tractor was originally an AG tractor. The plus is that it has a 3pt and PTO but, as you say, it may not be as "robust" as a backhoe.

So, to sum up: It is a FRANKENFORD HOE... The owner is careless and probably abusive to it.... I didn't get to hear it run.... It needs a new left rear tire...$500?... pretty "good" oil leak at the timing cover...it has all the predictable problems with frayed hydraulic hoses and electrical nightmare wiring...AND...

believe it or not...

I'm still interested!

The engine oil looks really good and almost all the cylinders look to be in great shape. I told them if they get it running to give me a shout and I would come back to run it a bit. I took some pics and will try to sit down and get them loaded but that's all I got for now.

/ Newbie looking at FORD INDUSTRIAL backhoe #5  
...believe it or not...

I'm still interested!

Yeah, once you've decided you want a tractor - you want it NOW!
I suggest thinking about it some more. You MIGHT be rationalizing why you should get THIS one. Just sayin'. :)

/ Newbie looking at FORD INDUSTRIAL backhoe #6  
Shop around. I don't know what he is asking, so it could still be a good deal. But in my area, late 60's ford how's bring 4-5k in working order. And 1970's 555's a few grand more.

A basket case like you describe, I wouldn't go more than scrap price. Guessing 5 ton and $200 a ton.

Well, my description may have been a bit harsh. I would not describe the unit as a basket case...although if the owner keeps spraying ether in the engine it won't be long. And yes, the price is fairly attractive. I probably would have bought it today if I could have run it but I do agree with you both that, at the very least, this deal should be "slow rolled".

I know I can make it work if the news doesn't get any worse after I run the hydros. Then again, as you both point out, a bit more money spent might bring me less headaches in the long run.

Thanks guys for the counsel, and if you run into any old Ford gasser backhoes, in our region, on your tractor quest davrow I'd appreciate a heads up.

If you describe what you are looking for, I would do the same for you.

They're out there...I just got to find 'em.

/ Newbie looking at FORD INDUSTRIAL backhoe #8  
Thanks guys for the counsel, and if you run into any old Ford gasser backhoes, in our region, on your tractor quest davrow I'd appreciate a heads up.
If you describe what you are looking for, I would do the same for you.
They're out there...I just got to find 'em.
jgmo,

I'm going over tomorrow to look at a Kioti CK27 HST, listed at a little over 14 grand.
Missed out on a Kubota B2910 yesterday by just a few minutes.
I think the Kubota BX25D is just a little too small and the L series too large.
And I'm trying to find something fairly new (like 2003 and newer) but under 15 grand.
Mostly looking at Kubota (nearest dealer), Kioti, LS and Mahindra. Don't really want a Deere (next closest dealer).
David

davrow,
Not at all familiar with Kioti (cayote?) but I shop for tools and equipment more than women shop for shoes. So, I will keep my eyes peeled for anything that looks promising and pass it on. How far are you willing to travel to scope one out?
Cheers,
j

davrow,
Not at all familiar with Kioti (cayote?) but I shop for tools and equipment more than women shop for shoes. So, I will keep my eyes peeled for anything that looks promising and pass it on. How far are you willing to travel to scope one out?
Cheers,
j