Georgia and tractors

/ Georgia and tractors #1  

smibota

Tractor
Kubota BX 25D
Why are so many tractors made/assembled in Georgia?
It seems that any tractor manufacturer I read about is there!

/ Georgia and tractors #2  
Well, it has good ports available, fairly low taxes, fairly cheap labor, a pro business type goverment, large agricultural sector, good weather, one of the largest farm/a shows at Moultrie, ect. The only thing it lacks might be the foundry to actually make parts, but those parts aren't made here in US anyways.

/ Georgia and tractors #3  
...The only thing it lacks might be the foundry to actually make parts.

That is also one of the main reasons we lost the War Between the States. The north had all the foundries. Georgia competes hard with tax incentives for new industry. Alabama and South Carolina do as well. LS got incentives from North Carolina (but lost some of it when the predicted number of jobs did not appear). It just depends on how the bidding turns out (plus how the new company factors in the criteria that paulharvey mentions). It is not just tractors, but everything from Glock pistols to automobiles.

/ Georgia and tractors #4  
Why are so many tractors made/assembled in Georgia?
It seems that any tractor manufacturer I read about is there!

Who besides Kubota? And where?

/ Georgia and tractors #6  
That is also one of the main reasons we lost the War Between the States. The north had all the foundries. Georgia competes hard with tax incentives for new industry. Alabama and South Carolina do as well. LS got incentives from North Carolina (but lost some of it when the predicted number of jobs did not appear). It just depends on how the bidding turns out (plus how the new company factors in the criteria that paulharvey mentions). It is not just tractors, but everything from Glock pistols to automobiles.

For some reason Jacksonville, FL actually dropped out of the running for the BMW plant that ended up in Savanna. Most if not all the west coast, North east, and rust belt have high taxes, lots of unions, and other negative factors.

Now that most of the scrap steel is sent to Asia (not just China; Korea, Japan too) industry is less tied to the old industrial centers around the great lakes.

/ Georgia and tractors #7  
For some reason Jacksonville, FL actually dropped out of the running for the BMW plant that ended up in Savanna. ?

Has BMW opened a new plant or are you thinking of the current plant in Spartanburg, SC? I have read that BMW is thinking about adding an engine plant in the US or Mexico.

Steve

/ Georgia and tractors #8  
jeff9366, my JD 5420 was made in Augusta Georgia, so I know Kubota and John Deere at least are in Georgia.

/ Georgia and tractors #9  
   / Georgia and tractors #10  
Kubota, Deere and Branson; that qualifies as a cluster.