Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover?

/ Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover? #1  

econometrics

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 5075E MFWD OOS w/PR, 540E; Gator 825i
Howdy TBNers,

I'm in the market for a new gooseneck trailer to yank my 5075E+MX6 around.

My estimated weight:

5500 - Tractor
1500 - 553 FEL
1000 - Filled rear tires
1500 - MX6
9500 total, appx

I just picked up a 1999 F250 Supercab 4x4 V10 with the 4.30 gears, so I have around 14K to play with in regards to towing capacity.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between a 20+5 deckover on dual, 7K single axles OR a 24' tilt deck with 7K axles.

The tilt is a PJ and the deckover can be a PJ or a Big Tex. Both are good trailers.

The PJ dealer tells me the tilt is 4640 curb weight and the deckover is a little over 5K. So I'm saving some weight with the tilt deck there.

I also like the lower deck height of the tilt deck and the fact that I don't have to deal with ramps. To me, it seems the tilt deck would have a little more "utility" factor to it because of the lower deck. (e.g. towing around my UTV, etc.)

But the flat deck on the 20+5 would be nice, too for hauling hay or wider-than-6.75' loads.

Any thoughts on deciding between the two would be appreciated!

/ Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover? #3  
I'm a deck-over guy. I feel they have wayyyyy more utilitarian use than the lower decked tilt. For example I haul my tractor with 10ft brush cutter a couple times a year.

A dual wheeled trailer also pulls more stable and has the ability to move with a flat tire. I blew a tire at 70mph with two Jeep Buggies and a UTV on. Other than rubber scattered on the hiway it was no big deal to get off the road and repair the flat.

As for ramps. The dovetail is about the same height as the tilt trailer when it's not tilted. I removed my ramps and never use them. Very easy to find a spot to load/unload without them. I built a small hump in my parking area that I can approach from either end and load/unload.

My tractor with FEL weighs 9710.

I have a 28+4 deckover that weighs 6840. I pull it with a Superduty Diesel that weighs 6850.

So when I'm loaded with my tractor my GCW is 23,400.

I bought my trailer used. After I added new tires, some brake work and a little wiring I had $4200 in it.

Attachments

• DSC05968.JPG
    DSC05968.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 1,064
   / Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover? #4  
Sorry, I shoulda looked at your links to the trailers before I posted earlier.

I'm a bit concerned about the trailer capacities on those. They are 14K capacity trailers. They weigh 5K. Your tractor weighs 9.5K. Though you can park forward as far as you can and transfer some of that weight to the truck, you are still going to be bumping the trailer capacity. You blow a tire on one of those trailers at hiway speed and you are gonna want to be free of the trailer.... Maybe consider a heavier trailer. Look for a used to save the difference in cost??

I purchased my trailer to carry weight. I park my tractor to capitalize on that. I only put enough weight on the truck to pull comfortably.

/ Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover?
Sorry, I shoulda looked at your links to the trailers before I posted earlier. I'm a bit concerned about the trailer capacities on those. They are 14K capacity trailers. They weigh 5K. Your tractor weighs 9.5K. Though you can park forward as far as you can and transfer some of that weight to the truck, you are still going to be bumping the trailer capacity. You blow a tire on one of those trailers at hiway speed and you are gonna want to be free of the trailer.... Maybe consider a heavier trailer. Look for a used to save the difference in cost?? I purchased my trailer to carry weight. I park my tractor to capitalize on that. I only put enough weight on the truck to pull comfortably.

Good thoughts! Especially about the possibility of blowing a tire.

You got a great deal on your trailer for $4200, wow.

/ Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover? #6  
My opinion go with the deck over and duals like others have said they pull nicer and the blowing a tire thing is a lot less hairier with duals. A deck over may be a little bit of a pain with height but way easier than trying to load stuff between the horribly mangled fenders that seem to always be on the low trailers.

/ Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover? #7  
It's a hard to give ya advice since I have low boy and deck overs and dump trailers . Each has its place . I like the lowboy pipe rail goosenecks best for haul me m7040 or any tractor that will fit easyer on and off . And 7k axle of bigger trailer will be fine . Not all the weight is on the trailer .
Here's my trailer I use the most for my tractor its a 24' 7k axles But i have also went to 14 ply tires just to be safe . there rate at 4800 pounds each . I haul melons all summer with it about 10,000-12,000 loaded just the melons .

image-768003007.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using TractorByNet

/ Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover? #8  
Wheras I had thought that a tilt bed was the cats meow, I am told that they are a pain for a variety of reasons. A friend just got a really nice goose neck one and sold it in short order. He said, it was just too hairy for loading/unloading.

/ Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover?
My opinion go with the deck over and duals like others have said they pull nicer and the blowing a tire thing is a lot less hairier with duals. A deck over may be a little bit of a pain with height but way easier than trying to load stuff between the horribly mangled fenders that seem to always be on the low trailers.

Definitely a nod to the deckovers… a completely flat surface. I agree.

It's a hard to give ya advice since I have low boy and deck overs and dump trailers . Each has its place . I like the lowboy pipe rail goosenecks best for haul me m7040 or any tractor that will fit easyer on and off . And 7k axle of bigger trailer will be fine . Not all the weight is on the trailer .
Here's my trailer I use the most for my tractor its a 24' 7k axles But i have also went to 14 ply tires just to be safe . there rate at 4800 pounds each . I haul melons all summer with it about 10,000-12,000 loaded just the melons .

Getting heavier tires was on my list, for sure. Good advice, thank you!

Wheras I had thought that a tilt bed was the cats meow, I am told that they are a pain for a variety of reasons. A friend just got a really nice goose neck one and sold it in short order. He said, it was just too hairy for loading/unloading.

I can't really understand why that would be? How could it be any more hairy than driving up a dovetailed GN?

However, I HAVE thought that a regular GN would be less maintenance in the long run. E.g. the gravity cylinder on the tilt going out, hinges getting bad, etc.

/ Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover? #10  
I have the exact PJ tiltbed trailer you linked to above. Mine came from here: PJ - 24' Gooseneck Tiltbed Carhauler - Trailers - Gooseneck Flatbeds - Trailers - Catalog - Ludens Inc. It will haul everything I need, and I pull it with a 2003 Dodge Dually (Cummins power!). I can see the points of view of all posters above, it really comes down to YOUR use. For me, the tiltbed works well as I pull cars and tractors with it. Nothing I own is wider than the deck provided between the wheel wells. The dual wheels mentioned above are a plus. Best of luck on your choice.