Tractor for Deer plots

/ Tractor for Deer plots #1  

aerospacefarmer

This is my first post as I have just registered after reading a few of your wonderful posts with responses...what a great bunch of people. Now to the reason I am here....I own a plot of land in Northeast PA and want to do some deer management on it by planting some food plots in fields that were previously only for hay. I am looking to plow up these fields to get them ready for the plots ( approx 5 acres of the total of 30) and am looking for a tractor that meets the needs to do this and to help the farmer currently haying with those chores as well. I will also be cutting about 4 acres as a lawn area around the cabin. I have looked at used and new 2 and 4 wheel and am mostly concerned that I will get enough power to do the job that I just described. I prob wont put on more than 200-400 hours per year. I am really getting into this tractor stuff please helpppppp. By the way I work for an aerospace company and am looking to do this for relief and fun. I want to go to my property there for reasons other than to shoot deer . Looking for your advice.

Paul

/ Tractor for Deer plots #2  
Thats easy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif A JD 2210 or a JD 4115. The 2210 knocks the price of used on the head and you dont have the head aches of dealing with old stuff. Easy to tow, haul etc. Good mowing abilitys. Will easily handle a 50" tiller. This is all I use mine for. You can get the quick hitch (imatch) for the JD and man is that nice. My camp is 300 miles away so once I get their I dont want to waste time fussin with anything. I have photos I will try to post of my plots etc. A budget would be helpfull in your search for advice. The 2210 with FEL and a GREAT tiller was 15k out the door. Add about 3 k for the 4115 which is what I would get if I could have a mulligen. Dave

/ Tractor for Deer plots #3  
Well I didnt have the ones up I thought I did but here is a photo of the elevated blind we just put in which shows one of our food plots. All courtesy of the JD2210 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 332707-misc_0316.jpg
    332707-misc_0316.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 419
   / Tractor for Deer plots #4  
I guess it looks like to me two tractors. But your probably like me and others and can't see spending monies on two rigs even though we all would love it.

I see it with the plowing you would need a larger rig but you may only need it for plowing the one time. For mowing a smaller compact or even you could go into a sub-compact. The sub-compact would give you the best mowing job. I would seriously sit down and look at how much time you will spend on each task. If it is mostly mowing then buy for that and rent for the others. You could go with a New Holland TC24D or an equivalent of the others. This would give you an all around rig that would be able to do some serious loader work and mowing. Good to plow also. I just think a sub-compact for plowing 5 acres would be a bit light.

Go visit a few dealers, you will have lots of fun doing that and you will get a feel for which brand you like. It doesn't make much difference on the brand, it is more important to have the right size, a good dealer that you are comfortable with and will support you after the sale.

murph

/ Tractor for Deer plots #5  
yeah it definately depends on what you want to do in regards to haying as well. Heres some more photos.

Attachments

• 332715-misc_0314.jpg
    332715-misc_0314.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 468
   / Tractor for Deer plots #6  
This photo and the one prior give a little better view of the tractor. You also probably need to let us know a little more about what you mean by plowing up 5 acres. Is it already cleared and tillable etc.

Attachments

• 332717-misc_0315.jpg
    332717-misc_0315.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 449
   / Tractor for Deer plots #7  
aerospacefarmer
The Kubota MX5000 is one model that we have sold the hunters around here to manage food plots. 50hp, 2WD or 4WD with loader, mower and disc are the typical packages. Might be one to consider. Hope this helps.
Lewis

/ Tractor for Deer plots
Hey guys thanks for all the responses and I am going to have to till and plow the fields the first time which will take a while since it hasnt been plowed in prob 20 years and produces great hay. I also want to plant some corn and prob some pumpkin crops for the fall so I want to really till and prepare 5 acres and keep it fertile from year to year. The haying will be handled by the farmer next door but I will help him cut using his implements. I was looking at a 40-50 PTO HP machine possibly a Massey or a Long. I got a price on a 4 WD 550 DTC for 18,500 0 % for 36 months. I found that to be the best deal so far. I have also gotten a price on a 271 Massey for around same price but 2 WD and 59 pto HP. Back to the tractor dilemna and thanks again.

I want to know where the guy from Michigan got that very cool deerstand... I would really love to get one of those. Thanks again all and happy hunting.

Paul

/ Tractor for Deer plots #9  
Around here there are quite a few Massey dealers, so the tractors are popular. Same with the Deere's. As I understand your post you are wanting to take 10 of the 30 acres out of hay production and convert it to food plots and lawn. Personally I think 5 acres of lawn is a whole lot more than anyone wants to maintain, unless they are paid for it. A 50 hp tractor seems like it would be a bit heavy for lawn work. The food plots don't require nearly as much maintainence so that would be a big tractor for that use also. Now as for the haying, unless you are going to be doing the mowing and baling, 50 hp seems like a bit much tractor also. A utility tractor could certainly handle raking and hauling hay to storage. My Dad plowed, and sowed grain crops on the 40 acre farm he grew up on with an 8N Ford, and hauled hay his neighbor baled also. You might be better served with a smaller tractor and a big lawn mower, one of the professional models that travels fast.

/ Tractor for Deer plots #10  
I wonder if that $18,500 price has a FEL. You will want and need one. Personally I think I would stay in the compact range. Brand is just a personal choice they are all good machines. I have looked at the longs and thet are a whole lotta tractor for the money. I only know of one dealer in our entire area though so if they drop them then what ? In your choices I lean towards the Agco product. I also would drop down the HP a tad and stay with a Compact utility tractor. A JD4610 or a Kioti etc. I am not familiar with the aapropriate models of Kubota or Agco. The deer blind is from Mustang Fiberglass. You will find them with a quick net search or you can PM me and I will give you more details. Dave