Trouble Convincing Signifcant Other to Buy SCUT

/ Trouble Convincing Signifcant Other to Buy SCUT #11  
I may side with your wife on this one, sorry. I think if I only had 1 acre to tend to a ZTR Toro from Home Depot would be on my list and maybe a snow blower as opposed to a tractor. The ZTR is much more adapt to mowing. However, the tractor is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun. The ZTR is a blast too.

/ Trouble Convincing Signifcant Other to Buy SCUT #12  
!

Show her how they maintain their resale value and that you have little to anything to lose.

Exactly Spending $1200 on a lawnmower that is worth near $0 after five years is just that: Spending! Poof! Money is gone. Like groceries. Remember: Language = thought! You must change your/her vocabulary and explain that you are "investing" in a tractor. You still have the money! You just converted it from something that is illusionary (ink numbers on a bank/investment statement) to something that is real and parked in your yard. Oh, and bye the way, your money now "really works for you" and gets jobs done, saves your body, etc....

/ Trouble Convincing Signifcant Other to Buy SCUT #13  
I had a $700 Lowes Yard Machine riding mower last 10 years. I would say that was a good investment. Take care of them and they will last, just like anything.

/ Trouble Convincing Signifcant Other to Buy SCUT #14  
I may side with your wife on this one, sorry. I think if I only had 1 acre to tend to a ZTR Toro from Home Depot would be on my list and maybe a snow blower as opposed to a tractor. The ZTR is much more adapt to mowing. However, the tractor is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun. The ZTR is a blast too.
I have to say that if ALL you are doing is mowing grass, a lawnmower is all you need. They are the best thing you can get for that chore as that is ALL that they are designed for. IF you need to do other things like remove snow, move dirt or other material, dig ditches or stumps or rocks out(backhoe required) grade gravel driveway etc, just to name a few chores that a tractor can do then a lawn mower is not your best tool. Granted one can rent a tractor when needed for a specific function, but there is nothing like having one setting on your property and ready to work when needed.
As for myself, I never even considered using one of my tractors for mowing, I have ZTR mowers for that and they are much better and faster than a tractor could do the job due to all the obstacles I have like trees, bushes, lawn ornaments etc. that have to mow around. I use the tractors for tractor work, like digging and hauling. Not everyone can afford several motorized implements though and a tractor that can do all of the chores although not as efficiently as a dedicated ZTR would still be much cheaper than buying a ATV like Polaris, Kubota RTV etc($10-15K) to haul materials, a snow blower to clear driveway (?$2K never priced them), ZTR to mow with ($3-10K depending on size and quality) and you still wouldn't have anything to grade and smooth a driveway with, dig up rocks, stumps etc, load and move pallets of material, lift heavy objects to save the back, till up a garden(forgot to add tiller to your powered tools ($1500)
So lets add up, tiller $1500, ZTR mid range $8,000, Utility vehicle $10,000 minimum used possibly, snow blower $2,000. That looks like over $21K to me and doesn't do all the things a tractor and implements of same price would do.

Sure you can GET BY with a 26" push mower and a couple of shovels, and a soil spade/ tined thingy for tilling but who wants to or has the kind of time it would take to mow even a half acre with a push mower, till a garden with a spade,etc.

/ Trouble Convincing Signifcant Other to Buy SCUT #15  
I had a $700 Lowes Yard Machine riding mower last 10 years. I would say that was a good investment. Take care of them and they will last, just like anything.
- shhhh! :shhh:Don't let his wife hear you say that!

/ Trouble Convincing Signifcant Other to Buy SCUT #16  
Get a different wife:)
My wife comes out of the house to the sound of me driving up. 'Oh! I see you bought a tractor honey'
Dennis

/ Trouble Convincing Signifcant Other to Buy SCUT #17  
You may need john thomas to chime in. I think he has done this more than once:)

/ Trouble Convincing Signifcant Other to Buy SCUT #18  
Wait til spring, then don't mow the yard for a few weeks. After about a month, she won't care what you buy, as long as the yard gets mowed. :) I've used this tactic.... It really worked. Now, I just buy what I want.

/ Trouble Convincing Signifcant Other to Buy SCUT #19  
here is my .02

I went through the same thing at our house, - had lawn mower for the lawn, lawn tractor for snow removal. We needed a new tractor and I started looking around. $1500 for a lawn mower and then more $$$ if you want one that can handle a plow or blower. Then there is the added cost of the plow and blower. I was looking at about $3K for a POS stamped sheet metal tractor. I read the lawn tractor forums and over and over saw that these lowes/HD equipment lasts about 5 years before major work needed which included welding decks, brackets and more. What was hard to quantify was the amount of time needed to be maintaining this kind of stuff. I ended up buying a used Yanmar with FEL and a back blade, and Brush hog. Over the years I have spread 50 or so yards of top soil, 50 tons of rock, yards and yards of mulch. We just put in a above ground pool and me helping the excavator saved me about $2K in excavation costs. Just had 9 trees taken down and told the tree guy I would cut up into rounds and move the logs so they can dry out instead of his guys doing that. Tree guy said I saved $1200 just be doing that myself with the tractor. When we got 36 inches of snow last year in one storm, we got out and helped many neighbors as well. I have removed pallets from a moving truck (saved money on not having a lift gate to deliver the freight), helped remove and engine, lifted a deck to get it plum again.

Need some additional top soil - I have used my back blade and FEL to scrape some up. Need a branch hauled away - tractor can do that. Truck stuck in a ditch? Yup. Need a rock removed or draggged away? You get the idea. Basically, you can pay now or pay later over longer installment because of continually replacing equipment. Tractors are made to work and so much beefier then anything Lowes has to offer. You will be amazed at all of the things you start doing because you have a tractor that you would never do before because you would need to hire someone to do it.

/ Trouble Convincing Signifcant Other to Buy SCUT #20  
here is my .02

I went through the same thing at our house, - had lawn mower for the lawn, lawn tractor for snow removal. We needed a new tractor and I started looking around. $1500 for a lawn mower and then more $$$ if you want one that can handle a plow or blower. Then there is the added cost of the plow and blower. I was looking at about $3K for a POS stamped sheet metal tractor. I read the lawn tractor forums and over and over saw that these lowes/HD equipment lasts about 5 years before major work needed which included welding decks, brackets and more. What was hard to quantify was the amount of time needed to be maintaining this kind of stuff. I ended up buying a used Yanmar with FEL and a back blade, and Brush hog. Over the years I have spread 50 or so yards of top soil, 50 tons of rock, yards and yards of mulch. We just put in a above ground pool and me helping the excavator saved me about $2K in excavation costs. Just had 9 trees taken down and told the tree guy I would cut up into rounds and move the logs so they can dry out instead of his guys doing that. Tree guy said I saved $1200 just be doing that myself with the tractor. When we got 36 inches of snow last year in one storm, we got out and helped many neighbors as well. I have removed pallets from a moving truck (saved money on not having a lift gate to deliver the freight), helped remove and engine, lifted a deck to get it plum again.

Need some additional top soil - I have used my back blade and FEL to scrape some up. Need a branch hauled away - tractor can do that. Truck stuck in a ditch? Yup. Need a rock removed or draggged away? You get the idea. Basically, you can pay now or pay later over longer installment because of continually replacing equipment. Tractors are made to work and so much beefier then anything Lowes has to offer. You will be amazed at all of the things you start doing because you have a tractor that yo would never do before because you would need to hire someone to do it.

You should have called Catskill Mountain Tree Service.. You could have saved even more. lol :eek:)