Buying Advice How important is 4 wheel drive on MX5100?

/ How important is 4 wheel drive on MX5100? #1  

zqr

Tractor
Ford
Looking at purchase of MX5100 with a front end lift. From what I have been told really need the 4 wheel drive to fully use front lift. Adds a good bit to price of tractor so wanted to get thoughts of those that have/have not the 4 wheel drive. Thanks

/ How important is 4 wheel drive on MX5100? #2  
I cant imagine not having it in my 3032E John Deere. I would have not got anything done yesterday in the snow and ice without it.

/ How important is 4 wheel drive on MX5100? #3  
All depends on what you do and how you do it. I wouldn't be without 4wd when using a front end loader, FEL. You might be able to get by without it if you have 2k+ on your rear 3pt for traction. But depends on what your ground is like for traction and what you're driving into trying to scoop up.

/ How important is 4 wheel drive on MX5100? #4  
I had a larger framed 2wd utility tractor with loader that weighed twice as much as the MX5100, but was only a few more horsepower.
I always ran out of traction before I could fully use the loader or the horses to their potential. It was very frustrating.
I would really advise you to get the 4wd on the MX5100 if you are getting a loader on it. From my experience you would regret not getting it pretty quickly.

/ How important is 4 wheel drive on MX5100? #5  
Keep a thousand pounds on the three point and your good to go.:)

/ How important is 4 wheel drive on MX5100? #6  
Get the 4wd. If you were only using it as a pull tractor you might get away with 2wd. With a loader in a modern small tractor, you need 4wd.

/ How important is 4 wheel drive on MX5100? #7  
Agreed, 4 wd works well with an FEL.

/ How important is 4 wheel drive on MX5100? #8  
you need 4wd drive on the mx5100 no q about it.an it sure makes running the loader alot easier.weve went to all 4wd drive tractors.prolly need to buy a 2wd drive for summer use.

/ How important is 4 wheel drive on MX5100? #9  
I've driven 2WD and 4WD with a FEL, we no longer own any 2WD tractors with a FEL; several without though.

There are threads on here where people are happy with their 2WDand FEL; just not practical for us.

/ How important is 4 wheel drive on MX5100? #10  
My 70HP LS even with loaded rear tires, a 2000# bush hog on the back which has much more effect than 2000# hanging next to the tractor like a ballast box will still not back up a hill with a full bucket of rock so 4 WD is needed for FEL work. I sure helps when pulling a load also when doing ground engaging work. I believe that they will pay for the extra cost in fuel savings due to better traction over the life of the tractor.