Comparison Help Pick a SCUT/CUT 22hp to 26hp

/ Help Pick a SCUT/CUT 22hp to 26hp #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
I'm really trying hard to decide on a tractor and I can't seem to make my mind up. Currently, I have a 1986 JD 750 4wd 20hp. It is a perfect size for me and I have never needed more power for any kind of work o do. I'm looking to upgrade to a HST for convenience, power steering, and also a loader more for handy jobs than anything serious. The hardest my tractor works is with a box blade pulling a box full of gravel uphill on my driveway. I rev it up to 2k rpms and don't have any problems.

I'm trying to sell my 750 outright, but it's either too small for people or it doesn't have a bucket. I may have to take a hit and trade it in on something new.

Right now, my max budget is really $13k. The contenders so far are:
New Kioti CS2410 24hp $12,400
New Cub Cadet/Yanmar SC2400 24hp $12,200
New Masey Ferguson GC1705 22.5hp $12,500
Used Kubota BX2660 26hp great shape 172hrs (has turf tires that I don't want) $11,000
All of these choices are priced with a loader and HST. My main job is maintaining 4 acres of open woods with a 4ft brush hog and grading my gravel driveway.

/ Help Pick a SCUT/CUT 22hp to 26hp #2  
Try to get some time on all of them. Those will all be fine choices, it is just a matter of which one feels best to you. None will be significantly better than the others. New probably gets you a warranty the BX2660 may lack.

/ Help Pick a SCUT/CUT 22hp to 26hp #3  
Look at the Mahindra Max 22. I bought the TLB version last fall, it an animal!!! The FEL is strong, strapped in a piece of concrete 2ft longer than the bucket picked up loaded it without hestation. For it size it's strong, stable and built like a brick ____ house much heavier than it's competion. It's built like a full size tractor scaled down, not a lawn tractor scaled up. Looked at the Kubota, Massey and less expensive the New Holland (my dealer sells New Holland too!). The engine has more displacement and operates at lower RPM, quieter and it's hard to burn 5 gallons in an 8 hr day. The warranty is top notch, check it out you'll be glad you did.

/ Help Pick a SCUT/CUT 22hp to 26hp
I pretty sure the Mahindra 22 will be outside my budget.

/ Help Pick a SCUT/CUT 22hp to 26hp #5  
The Kioti will lift a little more on the 3 point and the tractor weighs a couple hundred pounds more than the Yanmar, which is big when comparing a 1,280 pound tractor and a 1,480 pound one.

The Kioti also has 3 more PTO hp than the Yanmar (19.5 vs 16.5).

The Yanmar will lift 25 pounds more (at the pins) with the FEL. That's pretty close.

Overall, just based solely on the specs, the Kioti has a slight edge. But you might find that you love the ergonomics of one and hate the other. Between those two, I'd let the ergonomics and the quality of the dealer make my decision.

/ Help Pick a SCUT/CUT 22hp to 26hp #6  
go sit and drive them first
seat time is very important
the different ways these things are laid out can make a huge difference

The local Mahindra dealer doesn't carry anything smaller than 28hp. The next closest dealer doesn't have a Max 22, but they priced a new one at $13,500 for their cash price.

I'm going to check out Kioti this weekend if the weather cooperates.

/ Help Pick a SCUT/CUT 22hp to 26hp #8  
The Max 22 should be within your budget. It should list at $12960 and for cash the dealer can do better. Another point to consider is the FEL is built in the USA and the final assembly is done here as well. From experience a few extra bucks up front can save thousands in the end. If your dealer doesn't have it he can get it or find a new dealer, cash talks.

I'm also trying to locate a LS J Series. Those seems to be getting great reviews also.

The Max 22 should be within your budget. It should list at $12960 and for cash the dealer can do better. Another point to consider is the FEL is built in the USA and the final assembly is done here as well. From experience a few extra bucks up front can save thousands in the end. If your dealer doesn't have it he can get it or find a new dealer, cash talks.

The dealer I spoke with said $13,500 and that was with a $1000 rebate and $400 discount for paying cash.