Cab or No Cab

/ Cab or No Cab #1  

bravo2zero

Silver Member
Tractor
Hi everyone... I am new to the forum and in fact new to purchasing a John Deere Tractor. I am looking at the models 5055E or 5055E CAB or the 5065E with or without cab. Question is what are the pros and cons of having a Cab?

I also have about 50 acres of land and wanted to make sure that this size of tractor would get the job done for the following:
Mowing
Post Hole Digging
Baling Hay
Raking
etc etc...

I plan to purchase a front bucket and a finishing mower. Your thoughts and comments is most appreciated.

/ Cab or No Cab #2  
If you can afford a cab get it.. it comes in handy on those 100 plus days or 20 degrees day,, also when using a disc cutter or baling down wind.. trust me on this one.. either of the tractors you are looking at,, will work with the right equipment.. front end loader is extra but will pay for itself in the long run.. Lou

/ Cab or No Cab #3  
As for the cab or no cab. I have both. IF you are blowing snow, no doubt about it cab. If you are working long hours in the field on a hot summer day, a cab is nice, or have to work in the rain.

For me, everything else I do with my tractor, I only do when the weather is good and then I find a cab annoying. I like to be in nature, not in a glass telephone booth!

I also find that going in and out of buildings to be a real pain with reflections off the glass in a cab tractor.

/ Cab or No Cab #4  
Right now it's -3F outside, I'd really like a cab on my bota!!!

If you are baling hay, you will need a mower and discbine? A tedder?
A boom pole is nice.
Quick tach loader - change the bucket over to forks or ?
toothbar on the bucket.
forks of course.
a tiller if you want to have a garden.
a carryall for the 3 point.

And a large wallet. Spending other folks money can be fun!! :)

/ Cab or No Cab #5  
Go with the Cab...you will not regret it....ever

/ Cab or No Cab #6  
Well lets see now, Pro's of a Cab, they keep the dust and dirt off of you, they keep you from being killed by yellow jackets, bumble bees and wasps etc. They keep you from having heatstroke when haying. In the winter they keep you from freezing to death, they keep the rain off of your head. They make it much safer to have a child with you, notice I said safer, not safe. They keep you from sneezing your head off of if you have allergies. They protect you somewhat from being whipped by small limbs. They make your neighbors envious. They allow you to listen to music when working. The controls and instrument panel are protected from the weather.

Cons of a cab: They cost money. They catch limbs and big ones will break out the windows, and tear off the mirrors and lights. (if you work in the woods) They have systems like HVAC and air filters that will eventually need service. Did I mention they cost money? They don't allow you to hear people working on the ground as well. (this is debatable, or they could be equipped with 2 way radio's) Well that is all I can think of.

/ Cab or No Cab #7  
I went thru this same debate in my head for a painfully long time this past fall.

I went with an open station on my 5075E.

Mainly because I'm young and enjoy the open air environment, AND it saved me a lot of money that I instead used on useful attachments. (Wally BX62!)

Are there days I wish I had sprung for a cab? Sure are. But I'm happy with my choice. This tractor, for me, is a 3-5 year machine as I ease into land owning and stewardship. A cabbed tractor will come next in it's due time.

It really all depends on what YOU value. :)

/ Cab or No Cab #8  
I went thru this same debate in my head for a painfully long time this past fall.

I went with an open station on my 5075E.

Mainly because I'm young and enjoy the open air environment, AND it saved me a lot of money that I instead used on useful attachments. (Wally BX62!)

Are there days I wish I had sprung for a cab? Sure are. But I'm happy with my choice. This tractor, for me, is a 3-5 year machine as I ease into land owning and stewardship. A cabbed tractor will come next in it's due time.

It really all depends on what YOU value. :)

This ^ I had the same debate last year .

But since ya are going to do hay I would go cab ..
I doubt I will ever use mine to cut or bale . It's just cheaper for me to buy 150-200 rolls of hay a year . Plus I don't have the time to bale hay when it needs to be done .

But since you only have 50 acres you would still live bale'n hay with a open cab .

Sent from my iPhone 5 using TractorByNet

/ Cab or No Cab #9  
How good is the heat in a modern tractor with a cab? I have operated a komatsu WA180 pay loader for 12 hours when the temperatures dipped down to -14 and -30F windchill. The cab was sure nice no doubt about that at all!!

The heat was so so, and that was to be expected with it being -30 F windchill outside, the engine was running cold and had trouble even getting to a quarter when I was working it hard! The mild heat was nice at -14F ambient for sure.

We have 5 tractors all in Michigan and not one has a cab!! The neighbor has a 4040 John Deere (80 HP not newer style) with a cab and a contractor/ industrial blade in it, very large very heavy. It dipped down to -30F ambient in Michigan and the neighbors with the 4040 JD had to plow my parents quarter mile driveway as the blowing wind was taking over so badly

/ Cab or No Cab #10  
I agree, completely.

If you can afford a cab get it.. it comes in handy on those 100 plus days or 20 degrees day,, also when using a disc cutter or baling down wind.. trust me on this one.. either of the tractors you are looking at,, will work with the right equipment.. front end loader is extra but will pay for itself in the long run.. Lou