Switching tires - Turf to R4

/ Switching tires - Turf to R4 #1  

Stonehouse

Tractor
John Deere 4600
I'm more of a lurker then a poster but I came across something I wanted to share with the masses.

I have turf tires on my JD 4600 and like many, wanted to switch to R4's. Got a price from the local JD dealer - $3200 for 4 rims and 4 tires, way out of my budget. Went to another local JD (former) dealer who's been in business since the 30's and has a huge inventory. They had the rears, wheels and tires, in the warehouse covered in about an inch of dust - $1800. Getting better but I decided to search farther....

Came across "Your Next Tire Inc, Firth Nebraska" They had an advertised price of $350 per rear (Titans 17.5Lx24 -R4). I was assured that both tires and wheels were new with JD yellow rims. I asked if they had the fronts (Titan 10x16.5 R4) - they did and best of all, $99 special for both rims and tires. Now on to shipping... I'm in Eastern Pennsylvania the tires are near Lincoln Nebraska. Deal breaker? No chance... $175 shipped to a loading dock.

Rears 17.5L X 24
$350x2 = $700

Fronts 10 x 16.5
$99X2 = $198

Freight = 175

No tax - Total $1073

I highly recommend "Your Next Tire" for well, your next tires. Customer service was top notch, price was unbelievable and shipping was cheap and fast. I'll be mounting them today and I'll post a picture later on. I'm not affiliated with them in any way except being a very satisfied customer.
Your Next Tire has the Lowest Prices on Tires, Tire Machines & Hoists

/ Switching tires - Turf to R4 #2  
Wow, that is a good deal!

/ Switching tires - Turf to R4 #3  
Those prices are way under dealer cost here in Canada, and that is suppose to include rims also.

/ Switching tires - Turf to R4 #4  
I had some similiar experience but didnt work out.
If it is 4 wd check to make sure the tire dimensions are the same.

/ Switching tires - Turf to R4
Still haven't had a chance to mount them yet but I did run across one problem. No issues at all with the seller, tires or shipping. The front wheels, while being the right size, the center hole was too small (my mistake for not asking)... I needed, if memory serves me correctly a 4-9/16th" center hole. The rims I was sent had a smaller center hole (3.5"ish). Luckily I found the correct size front wheels on ebay for a decent price. Currently I'm at around $1250.00 for the complete set - wheels and tires, including the extra front wheels. Anyone need a brand new set of front wheels with a 3.5" center hole? 10x16.5 tires not included.

/ Switching tires - Turf to R4 #7  
Thanks for the link.

Are you interested in selling the old rear turf tires? If so, what is the bolt pattern on the rim and the outside diameter on the tire? I'm looking for turfs for my Yanmar 2000BD.

I do want to sell the turf tires and wheels. I'll get some measurements in the next day or two. Next problem would be shipping from PA to NC.

/ Switching tires - Turf to R4 #9  
So this is something I don't understand. Why would anyone get rid of turf tires for R4's. They are smaller (ie less flotation). They don't have as much traction in snow, dirt or ice. They are generally more expensive. The only advantage that I can see is a slight advantage in mud and a definite advantage in rough rock, gravel etc. Otherwise I don't see any positives. Overall you loose more than you gain. So please educate me.

So this is something I don't understand. Why would anyone get rid of turf tires for R4's. They are smaller (ie less flotation). They don't have as much traction in snow, dirt or ice. They are generally more expensive. The only advantage that I can see is a slight advantage in mud and a definite advantage in rough rock, gravel etc. Otherwise I don't see any positives. Overall you loose more than you gain. So please educate me.

Application. My main usage is dirt, mud and gravel.