Looking to be a 1st time Tractor Owner need HELP

/ Looking to be a 1st time Tractor Owner need HELP #1  

bobby5

Tractor
John Deere 3032E Fel, Frontier RC2060
First a little about myself. I am 60 yrs. old the Wife and I purchased a 2 story home 1 year ago that sits on 13 Acres. I would say 1/2 of the Land is Clear but 1/2 the Land is Brushy, by that I mean Lots of trees and lots of new Brush or Trees 2 inch diameter or Less. We have many Thorn Trees that grow thorns 2 inch long or more. We also have an area that is really nice as we put some trails through. This area has lots of Brush (2 in. Diameter or less trees) But the ground is 4 inches deep in old leaves that have fallen over the years. The land to my North is Higher by about 30 ft. over 200 yds. We do have a small pond also that needs some clearing on the mound around it. I am in good Physical shape as I have spent a year clearing some of the areas, but I know a Tractor would be a lot less Effort and A lot more results. My guess from reading is -- at least 24 to 28 HP Tractor with a Bucket on front and a Brush hog on back and 4 wheel drive, Would this be what is Needed Can the Brush hog Mow over small trees like that IMG_0949[1].jpgIMG_0950[1].jpg? Thanks

/ Looking to be a 1st time Tractor Owner need HELP #2  
What dealers are within 50 miles of you? Go sit your butt down in a few of them for fit.

/ Looking to be a 1st time Tractor Owner need HELP
I am in the North Texas area Sherman texas is my nearest Larger city. I do want to go into a dealer but I want to be somewhat Savey on my needs before going. Thanks murphy

/ Looking to be a 1st time Tractor Owner need HELP #4  
I am in the North Texas area Sherman texas is my nearest Larger city. I do want to go into a dealer but I want to be somewhat Savey on my needs before going. Thanks murphy

Just want to know what brands are near you.

/ Looking to be a 1st time Tractor Owner need HELP #5  
:welcome:

After reading your post, I have a couple of things for you to consider.

Thorn bushes = flat tires. Might just want to hire someone with (or rent) a mini-excavator and dig those things up and pile them.

A 24-28 hp tractor won't handle much of a brush hog. The lighter weight cutters are designed to mow grass, and not much more. You need at least a medium duty cutter, (HD would be even better) and a heavy hog requires more tractor weight and power.
Just for comparison, here's the specs for the Rhino Medium and Heavy Duty cutters.
Note that there is 348# difference in the weight of a 5' MD and a 5' HD hog. Also note that the MD cutter has a minimum hp requirement of 25. And, just about any implement operates better with more than minimum hp.

And as Murphy has already pointed out, you need to "kick some tires." It doesn't hurt to go to a dealership and look around.
Even better, go to some of your neighbors and ask them what tractor they have and what they like, don't like, and wish they could change. Most tractor guys will gladly tell you all about their baby. :D

/ Looking to be a 1st time Tractor Owner need HELP #6  
:thumbsup: on checking wit what your neighbors are using! Also what dealers to go too.

/ Looking to be a 1st time Tractor Owner need HELP #7  
To the OP, Bigfoot is talking horsepower at the PTO, not gross tractor horsepower.

Thanks guys, Ok I could clear the thorn area out by hand, Guessing I would say 2 days by hand to clear those out at least cut them down. Of course drag them to a burn pile would be longer. So would I need a 30 horse to clear the other areas or more than 30? I am just scared the dealers would UP Sale me anything for the Money. I do have an Ag Power in Sherman and Another about 20 Miles away.

/ Looking to be a 1st time Tractor Owner need HELP #9  
Do you have a Kioti dealer near you.

I have seen some kioti dealers adv. while looking yes.