Comparison JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #11  
robstaples, The reviews I have read showed many of them had the same concerns about the 4WD on the X738, but they all said it was not an issue.

It's because those tractors have hydraulically driven front wheels, rather than a shaft drive, so they vary speeds independently when turning, rather than locking together.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #12  
It's because those tractors have hydraulically driven front wheels, rather than a shaft drive, so they vary speeds independently when turning, rather than locking together.

And make a lot of noise. I traded in my Conquest cause I needed something that I could change implements easier and the Ventrac was it. Go from lawn cutter to Snow Blower in 2 minutes.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #13  
And make a lot of noise.

My X739 isn't noisy, neither in transmission nor engine. No whine except under very heavy load. The AWD with AWS is simply awesome. Outstanding traction, maneuverability, and won't tear your grass. Nothing like it by any manufacturer. There is no garden tractor with the sophistication or features of these X700's. The Simplicities are nice, but they don't have the engineering that JD does when it comes to the range of attachments, ease of use, and performance. IMHO John Deere has no competition in this class. No one is close. If spending the kind of money that can purchase an X738, it would be a mistake to buy anything else in the same class.

This is one area where I do bleed JD green. 19+ years on my 425 (a predecessor to the X-series) and I still love that old girl; runs like the day I bought her. Selling her this spring and it will be an emotional separation when she goes.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #14  
My X739 isn't noisy, neither in transmission nor engine. No whine except under very heavy load. The AWD with AWS is simply awesome. Outstanding traction, maneuverability, and won't tear your grass. Nothing like it by any manufacturer. There is no garden tractor with the sophistication or features of these X700's. The Simplicities are nice, but they don't have the engineering that JD does when it comes to the range of attachments, ease of use, and performance. IMHO John Deere has no competition in this class. No one is close. If spending the kind of money that can purchase an X738, it would be a mistake to buy anything else in the same class.

This is one area where I do bleed JD green. 19+ years on my 425 (a predecessor to the X-series) and I still love that old girl; runs like the day I bought her. Selling her this spring and it will be an emotional separation when she goes.

You won't take to a hill like a Ventrac nor cut like it.IMHO

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #15  
A Ventrac is not the same class machine. A unique animal in it's own right. But, can hardly be classified as a garden tractor.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #16  
A Ventrac is not the same class machine. A unique animal in it's own right. But, can hardly be classified as a garden tractor.

Then what?:eek:

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #17  
There was a thread on here several months ago with a member who had a Simplicity 4wd garden tractor working a steep hill. He found out the front wheels would free wheel in 4wd going down hill, where a Deere x7xx 4wd does not. If you look at the Deere hydraulic front axle you will see that the front wheels have linkage to a valve which varies the speed of the wheels so that the outside front wheel turns faster in a turn than the inside wheel. Works very well and I have less scuffing using the 4wd than the previous L130 mower. Moving up from the L130 to an x749 was a real improvement.

I purchased the x749 with the rear pto and 3ph in 2010 and have to say I use the hitch about 50% of the time. While it won't take the place of my larger tractors it really helps with reducing labor in close quarters work. When building landscapes I can smooth out under the trees with my 4' landplane where the larger tractors can't fit. If you need 3ph attachments for your lawn maintenance it seems to fill the bill for this work. You can add the hitch and pto at a later date easily if you find a need for it.

About choosing a new mower, if you have a limited amount of work to do you might wan't to consider a less costly x500 series without the hitch and rear pto too.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #18  
Markedman, To answer your question, why not the Legacy, I was after one machine that could do it all and I love the lift capacity of my L39--(over one ton) and am just about done for the need of a backhoe. So I got the biggest machine with a Mid mount mower and catcher and with as big of lift on the front end and hard cab. B3350 -- 33 hp and 2450 lbs. Will be selling my Sunstar (240 hours) and MAYBE my L39. From the above, the JD sounds really good.
rob

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Sounds like I will go with the Deere. I'm tempted to pay another $800 for the X758 to get the diesel. I would like for the tractor to last 20 years if possible. I think either the gas or diesel will be powerful enough for my duties, but I understand their is a lot more torque with the diesel. Everything else I have now is gas powered, but if the diesel will last longer it might be worth the extra $800. With the financing plan Deere currently has it's only an extra $15 a month for the 60 months of financing.

I know there are many threads out there for gas vs diesel. Anyone have the X758 or X738 for comparison? Any other thoughts are also greatly appreciated.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #20  
You will easily get 20 years out of the gasser. Probably a few more out of a diesel, assuming nothing else major fails first. The diesel will give you more torque. You have to ask yourself will you ever use that torque? For most situations, the answer is not likely. Some users might, but most won't. I personally don't think the diesel is worth it. I'd spend the money on 3PH, and rear PTO, or implements and attachments. And for me, where I have many many obstacles to mow around and tight corners to fit, the all wheel steer is far more useful than the macho of a diesel. A diesel takes too long to warm up for my GT needs too. Diesels give you much longer run times per tank of fuel. But, you'll never recoup the cost difference in fuel savings. If diesel were a must, why not a 1-series or a BX or other SCUT?