Comparison JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL
You will easily get 20 years out of the gasser. Probably a few more out of a diesel, assuming nothing else major fails first. The diesel will give you more torque. You have to ask yourself will you ever use that torque? For most situations, the answer is not likely. Some users might, but most won't. I personally don't think the diesel is worth it. I'd spend the money on 3PH, and rear PTO, or implements and attachments. And for me, where I have many many obstacles to mow around and tight corners to fit, the all wheel steer is far more useful than the macho of a diesel. A diesel takes too long to warm up for my GT needs too. Diesels give you much longer run times per tank of fuel. But, you'll never recoup the cost difference in fuel savings. If diesel were a must, why not a 1-series or a BX or other SCUT?

I started my process looking at the X500 series. I think the X500 series would have been plenty for the mowing of my hilly 1.5 acres (even my L130 has done a decent job with the mowing). It's the 400' driveway with the steep incline that needs some muscle to clear. This winter has been particularly bad here in South Central PA, but we get a 12-24" snowstorm every couple of years along with several 6-12" storms pretty much every year. Add in the usual drifting and I can go to bed with snow starting and wake up with 4' drifts sometimes.

I've owned the property for 10 years and cleared the driveway of snow with an Ariens 8526 self propelled walk behind thrower. Over that time I have had the Auger belts replaced twice and did not want to have to worry about that with the snow blower attachment. The Ariens has done a nice job but it is time consuming and it has issues now with the self propel unit.

I switched to the X700 series for the shaft drive. That was the reason for wanting the X700 series along with the autoconnect and speed of changing attachments. I like the flexibility the X700 series has with all the attachments. The only reason I would choose the diesel is if I need the torque for the snowblower or a plow or because it will last longer.

If I had more property I might have looked at the 1 series Deere, but I think that may be overkill.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #22  
I personally like the diesel because of the power blowing snow, the fuel economy, the fact that there is no ignition system to maintain, less fuel storage issues, and the engine is more durable I feel.

Based on what I have read in both this thread and others along with some personal reasons, here are the pros I have for each:

Gas

1. Less expensive to purchase.
2. Same fuel as my other machines (trimmer, existing mower, existing snowblower, cultivator). I may not keep the mower or snowblower, but I will only sell if I get a reasonable offer.

Diesel

1. More torque.
2. More fuel efficient.
3. More durable?

Here are a couple of questions about the diesels:

1. Do they have better resale value?
2. Will they be more expensive to maintain?
3. Which is easier starting and running in cold weather? (JD claims the gas engine with EFI will start at 20 below.)

I must admit, I have never owned a diesel engine of any type. I only remember using ether to start my fathers Big Rig in the cold weather when I was a kid. I have read comments about glow plugs, but don't even know what they are and if they are applicable to the X758.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #24  
My vote is to stay with gas. Only reason I bought a Diesel in my Ventrac is to run the same fuel as my other tractors.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #25  
They do have better resale. I think they are cheaper to maintain because you don't have spark plugs, plug wires or coils. Starting in cold weather...well the gasser has an edge there. You really need to plug the little indirect diesels in for a couple hours if it's below say 20 degrees. Then they start right up. If you keep it in a garage or something like that, probably won't be a problem in PA. They will start at colder temps without plugging them in, but they shake and hammer allot.
Above 30 deg, the diesel will start an run better than the gasser.
I don't think you would have any regrets either way, but I just think a diesel is a better platform for any tractor.

They do have better resale. I think they are cheaper to maintain because you don't have spark plugs, plug wires or coils. Starting in cold weather...well the gasser has an edge there. You really need to plug the little indirect diesels in for a couple hours if it's below say 20 degrees. Then they start right up. If you keep it in a garage or something like that, probably won't be a problem in PA. They will start at colder temps without plugging them in, but they shake and hammer allot.
Above 30 deg, the diesel will start an run better than the gasser.
I don't think you would have any regrets either way, but I just think a diesel is a better platform for any tractor.

Normally we don't get below 20 degrees very often here. The snow is usually pretty wet and heavy because it's in the upper 20's and low 30's when it snows. But this year I have been out twice clearing snow when it was between 0 and 5 degrees. I felt like I was transported to Minnesota or something :)

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #27  
Normally we don't get below 20 degrees very often here. The snow is usually pretty wet and heavy because it's in the upper 20's and low 30's when it snows. But this year I have been out twice clearing snow when it was between 0 and 5 degrees. I felt like I was transported to Minnesota or something :)

I wish it was that warm here in Minnesota. What type of structure do you plan on keeping your tractor in?

I wish it was that warm here in Minnesota. What type of structure do you plan on keeping your tractor in?

I will be keeping it in an unheated 2 car attached garage. Even though it is unheated, it seems to stay warmer than the outside. The snow on top of the snow blower melts while it is in the garage.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #29  
How is the turning radius on the two compare?My 2011 X740 turns pretty sharp compared to other garden tractors.If you are mowing a lot around trees than it would be a factor.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #30  
Pic of my diesel JD X740

Attachments

• Ford Truck 181.jpg
    Ford Truck 181.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 1,103