Comparison JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #1  

markedman1132

Tractor
John Deere L130
I'm in the market to purchase a new tractor to replace my aging and underpowered JD L130. The L130 has done an adequate job with mowing my 1.5 acres of hilly property, but I have decided to purchase a more robust tractor to plow/blow snow and possibly other property maintenance tasks.

I have narrowed down my choices to a John Deere X738 and a Simplicity Legacy XL. Both units I am looking at are 4WD machines powered by Kawasaki gas engines. I will be getting a 54" deck with either tractor.

The Simplicity machine comes standard with the the rear PTO and quick point hitch. These are options for the Deere that are not included in my quote. However, the Deere comes standard with EFI and the Simplicity does not offer it. The Deere dealer also included the auto connect feature in my quote.

The prices quoted after all rebates are very close. The one advantage of the Deere is the current financing will save me $1300 in interest over 5 years. The Deere also has a 4 year warranty, the Simplicity warranty is 3 years.

Since I don't currently have a need for any rear attachments such as a tiller, I'm not sure I would use the rear PTO or hitch.

Does any one know of a reason why I should choose Simplicity?

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #2  
How is the Simplicity Dealer? is he better than the Deere dealer? I think the Simplicity will give you a better cut.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #3  
How is the Simplicity Dealer? is he better than the Deere dealer? I think the Simplicity will give you a better cut.

Interesting comment Murph. Back in the late 60's my dad was shopping for a garden tractor. Everyone said Simplicity had the best cut then too!

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #4  
I'm in the market to purchase a new tractor to replace my aging and underpowered JD L130. The L130 has done an adequate job with mowing my 1.5 acres of hilly property, but I have decided to purchase a more robust tractor to plow/blow snow and possibly other property maintenance tasks.

I have narrowed down my choices to a John Deere X738 and a Simplicity Legacy XL. Both units I am looking at are 4WD machines powered by Kawasaki gas engines. I will be getting a 54" deck with either tractor.
The Simplicity machine comes standard with the the rear PTO and quick point hitch. These are options for the Deere that are not included in my quote. However, the Deere comes standard with EFI and the Simplicity does not offer it. The Deere dealer also included the auto connect feature in my quote.

The prices quoted after all rebates are very close. The one advantage of the Deere is the current financing will save me $1300 in interest over 5 years. The Deere also has a 4 year warranty, the Simplicity warranty is 3 years.

Since I don't currently have a need for any rear attachments such as a tiller, I'm not sure I would use the rear PTO or hitch.

Does any one know of a reason why I should choose Simplicity?

There is a post in the JD garden tractor section where the OP says his X738 makes a whining noise because of, he suspects, the hydraulic 4WD. Might want to check that out closely.
I've put 1100 hours on my x748 mowing 7 acres, snowblowing and tilling. It's a fine machine. I had an older Duetz Allis branded simplicity that was a fine machine too, but not as fine as the JD, and the JD dealers seem to be better equipped with parts and competent mechanics. The 4 year warranty is nice.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL
Murph - Thanks for the info.

I think I like the Simplicity dealer better even though he is a little farther away (he spent a lot of time with me explaining the features of the machine). I also like the Rear PTO and 3 point hitch included with the Simplicity but not sure if I would actually use them.

I'm leaning towards the Deere mostly because the financing will save me money and also I would prefer EFI over the Carburetor on the Simplicity. It also looks like the Deere is a little easier to add/remove the deck and attachments. Anyone have any feedback on this?

There is a post in the JD garden tractor section where the OP says his X738 makes a whining noise because of, he suspects, the hydraulic 4WD. Might want to check that out closely.
I've put 1100 hours on my x748 mowing 7 acres, snowblowing and tilling. It's a fine machine. I had an older Duetz Allis branded simplicity that was a fine machine too, but not as fine as the JD, and the JD dealers seem to be better equipped with parts and competent mechanics. The 4 year warranty is nice.

I will look into that post. The Simplicity does have the ability to run as 2WD or 4WD, the Deere is 4WD all the time.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #7  
I don't know much about these but I would think you couldn't go too wrong with the deere. I didn't know simplicity sold expensive tractors until reading this thread. I think I would go with the deere if the prices are similar just based on their reputation, parts, and lots of forums/youtube videos about them.

Last edited:
   / JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #8  
Markedman, Interesting situation. I currently have a Simplicity Sunstar and has been a great machine for the last 25 years. Cuts great and great support for parts. Before that had Simp..Landlord 10 hp that was great as well. Currently switching to a Kubota b series because I want a cab and 4 wheel drive. Just got it- last week, don't know if it cuts as well as the Sunstar. Sunstar is Kohler powered with carburation...No issues for me. Concern. 4 wheel drive all the time may tear up the yard. I have a L series 7000 lb with turf tires and if it's in 4 wheel drive the sod pays the price. It's a heavy machine for lawn, so take that with a grain.. I need 4 wd for a hill that the sun star does great with 2 wd except on occasion. And the damage is there for me to see for months. Hoping the Kubota B series (2000lb) will do as well as my Simplicity. If not , my lawn will just look worst that it did!!

Markedman, Interesting situation. I currently have a Simplicity Sunstar and has been a great machine for the last 25 years. Cuts great and great support for parts. Before that had Simp..Landlord 10 hp that was great as well. Currently switching to a Kubota b series because I want a cab and 4 wheel drive. Just got it- last week, don't know if it cuts as well as the Sunstar. Sunstar is Kohler powered with carburation...No issues for me. Concern. 4 wheel drive all the time may tear up the yard. I have a L series 7000 lb with turf tires and if it's in 4 wheel drive the sod pays the price. It's a heavy machine for lawn, so take that with a grain.. I need 4 wd for a hill that the sun star does great with 2 wd except on occasion. And the damage is there for me to see for months. Hoping the Kubota B series (2000lb) will do as well as my Simplicity. If not , my lawn will just look worst that it did!!

robstaples, The reviews I have read showed many of them had the same concerns about the 4WD on the X738, but they all said it was not an issue. I was curious why you didn't buy the Legacy XL. The model I looked at had 4WD (that you can turn off) and shows a soft snow cab as an option.

/ JD X738 vs Simplicity Legacy XL #10  
robstaples, The reviews I have read showed many of them had the same concerns about the 4WD on the X738, but they all said it was not an issue.

It's because those tractors have hydraulically driven front wheels, rather than a shaft drive, so they vary speeds independently when turning, rather than locking together.