Another buying/pricing/comparison thread?!?!?!

/ Another buying/pricing/comparison thread?!?!?! #1  

Cherokee140

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 650, Ford 8n, John Deere Model 70 Kubota BX25D
Yea, yea, yea....how many of these do we have to have.....well I don't have one yet so here ya go :laughing:

Looking for a (what I have learned to be) SCUT....before we called these things little tractors. My good ole JD650 has given all it can give, over heating issues, PTO gone to the happy hunting ground, wheels leak (just had a new wheel custom made) It is time to just let go....hours quit working at 4000 and change, it has been a good machine. It will be lived on by an old 8n that will take care of some of the mowing duty.

Anyway I am looking at the new (or not much used...seems to be a lot of those) tractors in the range of the Kubota BX, John Deere 1 series, M-F GC.....or anything else I might have forgotten about.

I have been reading this form for quite some time now, and so many have asked this same question.....the answer is usually the same, all the machines are about the same, get the one that feels best to you....darn good advice....but how bout a side bar to that question.

We are having a "farm show" here next weekend....you are given the chance to see each machine under one roof...sometimes right next to each other (I remember years ago doing trade shows I hated that) You will have a rep. from each maker there to ask questions, sit and generally play on the machine....but I highly doubt run them.

What would you ask.....what would you look for. I am interested in the different specs that are a little hard to find....how much does this one lift, how much fuel per hour at X load....things like that.

What am I looking for....well you have the list of machines, but it needs to have the loader and backhoe....(I learned another term hanging around here TLB) mowing is something it will also do. It needs to be pretty easy to get on and off of, I am not as young as I once was....and with enough metal in me to make the guys in the airport stop to take a second look....and to think I was thinking they are looking at my......manly-ness.

What I have....well property is 13ac, all pretty flat and all will be mowed, again most by the little 8n with the pull behind, and right up next to the house by a mower, but this for that inbetween area. Going to be doing some digging, stump removing, and we are thinking about putting in a few peach trees...small orchard. (hay could I take it off my taxes)

Lots of other jobs on the list, a chipper/shredder is on the list to do away with some black locust trees, hedge (if the shredder is stout enough).

Anyway....I tried to make this fun, hope you can help this old guy out.

Thanks.

/ Another buying/pricing/comparison thread?!?!?! #2  
What would you ask.....what would you look for. I am interested in the different specs that are a little hard to find....how much does this one lift, how much fuel per hour at X load....things like that. Thanks.
I wouldn't worry too much about asking questions. 1) the salespeople won't know 2) the answers are similar between machines.

Concentrate on ease of use for you. Not all SCUTS are easy to mount from the right (disqualified them for me). The backhoe is easier to use on some. MMM connection is easier on some.

Don't believe anything the reps say about competing brands, and take what they say about their own with a grain of salt.

Mostly relax, enjoy the experience, and maybe one model will call to you. As you said, they are all good.

/ Another buying/pricing/comparison thread?!?!?! #3  
And watch what RPM's you need to reach PTO speed, some of them are real screamers.

/ Another buying/pricing/comparison thread?!?!?!
The one other question I had was why are so many of these for sale used with just a few hours on them.....Tractor house is full of them on all brands. Do people get this machine and think....I really needed something bigger. Or do they get this machine for their 1ac and think they have so much to do....do their one thing then sell it? or are they just not up to the task (seems unlikely with all the folks on the internet that seem to like them)

That is another nagging question I have.

As an example....just found at a local well respected JD dealer a USED 1025r with loader and backhoe for 18.5k. Not a bad price.

How many hours do you ask.

yup .4....how the ________ does that happen.

/ Another buying/pricing/comparison thread?!?!?! #6  
I chose Kubota because the dealer is in my town has been there for years and has a good reputation. They also own a much larger dealership 45 min away. You are shopping for future service as much as the machine.

Dealer availability is one of the hidden things in the back of my mind.....there is only 1 M-F dealer within 100 miles of me, I have at least 7 JD dealers in that same range and about the same Kubota dealers.

The MF dealer has been there for over 40 years, so they are well known and established.....but they are the only 1. That is weighing on my mind. I like the looks of the MF, but service is a key issue that I need to keep in mind.

/ Another buying/pricing/comparison thread?!?!?! #8  
I just got a smokin deal on a new JD 3032E from Legacy Farm and Lawn in Nevada. Beat everyone else by $2,400. You might give them a call.

I just got a smokin deal on a new JD 3032E from Legacy Farm and Lawn in Nevada. Beat everyone else by $2,400. You might give them a call.

Not too far from me. I am going to talk to them at the show....not sure if dealers are there as well or just the makers. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on this next week.

/ Another buying/pricing/comparison thread?!?!?! #10  
I wouldn't worry too much about asking questions. 1) the salespeople won't know 2) the answers are similar between machines.

Concentrate on ease of use for you. Not all SCUTS are easy to mount from the right (disqualified them for me). The backhoe is easier to use on some. MMM connection is easier on some.

Don't believe anything the reps say about competing brands, and take what they say about their own with a grain of salt.

Mostly relax, enjoy the experience, and maybe one model will call to you. As you said, they are all good.

Well said ...