Buying Advice 8N vs JD950

/ 8N vs JD950 #21  
It's true that the diff lock is missing from the n. You can, however use the brakes to brake the wheel that's spinning, which may not be quite as effective, but has helped me out of many jams, until that is, they stopped working.

/ 8N vs JD950 #22  
of the 2, i'd get the jd. but not because you can't make the old ford do something.

just for some niceties... again.. if it was an 861 or 961.. I'd scrap the jd first.. :)

/ 8N vs JD950 #23  
Such a decision?!

You have had the connection to the Ford 8N. If you decide for Going Green and one day want a "loader" the 950 will cost a lot more to do that. Basically the 950 has a 4 speed with a doubler and you clutch and shift each direction change. Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned a little different than that. There is one of these 950 not far from here and I was around 30 years ago when they got it. They don't have locking differential and the PTO starts (lever engaged) and stops at each clutch operation (on their 950). You probably know these things since being familiar with the 8N/9N. Later Yanmar J.D. 950(s) can have locking differential. Basically in the rear of the 950 there is the 3 ph hitch, drawbar, and the PTO shaft. They use ether at times to winter start so perhaps the early ones don't have "glow plugs"? You can check that out.
I hardly know anyone who could turn down an "overhauled" 8N. Make sure the 8N has a hydraulic pump already on it................ it runs right off the end of the crank. You could add almost any loader to it then for hundreds instead of thousands for the 950. You could own it for years and never wear it out and still sell it for $2500. The 8N is a tractor that many of us who grew up in the 1940s still remember with great fondness. Oh yes, we had John Deere's also........ Caterpillars too. The Yanmar J.D. is a great little basic tractor.............. it misses power steering etc. You would expect no steering assist on the 8N. But finally, how one feels toward a purchase will often direct that decision.

Last edited:
   / 8N vs JD950 #24  
Since you said you want to do snow removal I'd hold out and find a 4WD tractor. There is nothing like having 4WD in the snow especially when using a rear blade. Out of the 2 tractors you mentioned I would go with the JD for the reasons that everyone has stated. I am not crazy about something that "just had the motor rebuilt."

/ 8N vs JD950
Thanks everyone for your input.

I ended up getting a Ford 860 with a back blade. Price was between the 8N and JD950, so seemed about right. Needs a little work like adding exhaust pipe (currently just a short pipe off the muffler), lights, etc, but overall seems to run good. I agree 4x4 would be nice, but I figured I'd try this for awhile and see how it goes.

/ 8N vs JD950 #26  
Thanks everyone for your input.

I ended up getting a Ford 860 with a back blade. Price was between the 8N and JD950, so seemed about right. Needs a little work like adding exhaust pipe (currently just a short pipe off the muffler), lights, etc, but overall seems to run good. I agree 4x4 would be nice, but I figured I'd try this for awhile and see how it goes.

We need pictures! An 860 is a good machine that you can keep running virtually forever.

/ 8N vs JD950 #27  
The 8n, especially if it is a 1951, or 1952 model, would be my choice here. Those remain my favorite tractors of all time. I believe the later Ford tractors (Jubilee, 600, 900, series, were a step backwards. They had less fuel economy than the 8n's, and a lower power/weight ratio. They also had less dependable hydraulics (especially the Jubilee), and today, have poorer parts availability due to their lower sales. In fact, the 8n has better parts availability today than any make and model. Most of the parts you will need are available, and in stock, at your local Tractor Supply store. That cant be said for any other make model. The lack of live hydraulics and pto do take some getting used to, but after a few times out, become second nature. The non-live pto is mostly corrected thru the addition of an over-running coupler, a must for any pto operations, with the 8n (about $75 at Tractor Supply store). John Deere is my favorite make these days, but only when they pack the American-made Powertech Engines engines. These start with the 4000, 20 series. Those smaller models, including the 950, use the Japanese, Yanmar engines. The Yanmars are quite dependable, but not something I would consider, based mostly on an action that occurred on December 7, 1941, and even more, on something that occurred a little later on the island of Battan. For someone who does not hold a grudge like I do, the JD 950 is the better choice, especially with them 3 implements, which about negate the cost difference. Certainly, I would try and save up a little more money and go with a 4wd, loader equipped machine. That would offer a great advantage for food plotting.

/ 8N vs JD950 #28  
Congrats on getting the ford tractor. Parts should be easy to find for the ford 860.

/ 8N vs JD950 #29  
you are sadly mistaken about the 00/01 series being a step back.

the advancements they off dwarf any positives the N can muster with sheer number of sales being it's big claim to fame.

i'd wager there is 'as good' parts support for a basic 6xx and 8xx as there is for an 8n .. and that's only a side mount an.. not a fornt mount.

the 860 he found is the machine I would have chosen of the 3.

it will drag that 950 al over the yard. has better parts support.. and if maintained.. could be running decades after that 950 is no longer maintainable. ;)

The 8n, especially if it is a 1951, or 1952 model, would be my choice here. Those remain my favorite tractors of all time. I believe the later Ford tractors (Jubilee, 600, 900, series, were a step backwards. They had less fuel economy than the 8n's, and a lower power/weight ratio. They also had less dependable hydraulics (especially the Jubilee), and today, have poorer parts availability due to their lower sales. In fact, the 8n has better parts availability today than any make and model. Most of the parts you will need are available, and in stock, at your local Tractor Supply store. That cant be said for any other make model. The lack of live hydraulics and pto do take some getting used to, but after a few times out, become second nature. The non-live pto is mostly corrected thru the addition of an over-running coupler, a must for any pto operations, with the 8n (about $75 at Tractor Supply store). John Deere is my favorite make these days, but only when they pack the American-made Powertech Engines engines. These start with the 4000, 20 series. Those smaller models, including the 950, use the Japanese, Yanmar engines. The Yanmars are quite dependable, but not something I would consider, based mostly on an action that occurred on December 7, 1941, and even more, on something that occurred a little later on the island of Battan. For someone who does not hold a grudge like I do, the JD 950 is the better choice, especially with them 3 implements, which about negate the cost difference. Certainly, I would try and save up a little more money and go with a 4wd, loader equipped machine. That would offer a great advantage for food plotting.

/ 8N vs JD950 #30  
I know you like the hundred series Fords Soundguy, and you are certainly intitled to your opinion. I simply don't have the same opinion, and no one will ever convince me that 1951, and 52 8n's are not the best tractor of all time. It sounds like you do recognize, that they have the best parts availability of any tractor today. I don't know if you are willing to admit their greater fuel economy, and better power/weieht ratio than the later Jubilie and 600, that replaced them, but those are easy stats to look up. Personally, I don't believe you have worked your hundred series tractors hard enough to make a real good call on durability. I have worked 8n.s and 600's on many hundred acres and I have seen for myself, the far greater durability of the 8n's hydraulics, especially. They are all 2-plow tractors, the slightly more power, of the Jub. and 600's, does not justify the weaker hydraulics, in my opinion. I don't have any experience with the larger than 600 series, in the 100 series, but a lot with 2000's and 3000s, both in diesel and gas. Again, they had advantages, particularly live hydraulics, and pto, and were very dependable. The advantage of the 8n over them, to me, was the less weight, and much easier implement changes that I can do on the little 8n. We will just have to agree to disagree I guess. I am with you on brands anyhow.