/ 8N vs JD950 #1  

cbrake

Tractor
Ford 860, JD 214
Hi,

Looking for a tractor to:

plow snow on 1/2 mile lane (NE Ohio)
grade 1/2 mile gravel lane
skid logs for firewood, and perhaps a few occasionally for lumber (15 acres of woods or so)
rotary mower

Looking at two options:

8N, rebuilt motor, new paint/tires, $2500
JD950, 2WD, comes with back blade, disk and plow, $4200

I'm a little partial to the 8N as I grew up with a 9N, and I'm less concerned about getting parts and working on it.

Is the JD950 worth the extra money? It seems some of the advantages are live PTO and option for lower ground speed, but it seems like these issues can be lived with in the 8N.

What else should I be thinking about?

Welcome any options.

Thanks,
Cliff

/ 8N vs JD950 #2  
Does the 950 have live hydraulics? It gets old moving snow without them. Also, having a lower ground speed is very nice. One of our 8ns has the Sherman hi/lo. The one without seems to be missing something without it.

/ 8N vs JD950 #4  
No contest. Get the JD. The x50 series are some of the ruggedest tractors on the planet. It DOES have live hydraulics, not so sure about the live PTO.

/ 8N vs JD950 #5  
I'd go with the 950 in that scenario. Moving snow without live hydraulics can be a pain...when it's cold, and windy, I'd rather not fuss with putting it in neutral, letting out the clutch, raising the blade, pushing the clutch back in, putting it in gear, moving where you need to go, drop the blade, make a pass, then repeat.

/ 8N vs JD950 #6  
Just looked up the 950, that's gonna be way easier to use than an n. No contest. If you want on old gasser, that looks good, go for the 8n, if you want a more capable tractor that's easier to use, get the JD.

/ 8N vs JD950 #7  
i'm a ford lover.. but the jd is likely a better choice even if lighter. it has a plow and disc with it brining it's value up.

it is newer.. and presumably has live hyds.

lower ground speed is a plus.

now if it was an 860 with ps.. I'd say differently. :)

/ 8N vs JD950 #8  
JD 950 is much more tractor than the 8N which is more comparable to the JD 750 (19HP). It will have live PTO and hydraulics. BIL had a 750 and it had all the modern amenities of hydraulics and PTO so I am sure the 950 will also. I know the 750 had the Yanmar diesel engine so I assume that the 950 does also.

/ 8N vs JD950 #9  
JD 950 is much more tractor than the 8N which is more comparable to the JD 750 (19HP). It will have live PTO and hydraulics. BIL had a 750 and it had all the modern amenities of hydraulics and PTO so I am sure the 950 will also. I know the 750 had the Yanmar diesel engine so I assume that the 950 does also.

I'm not so sure the 8N/750 comparison works well....similar power, but the 8N weighs 25% more, so it should be able to do more work with the same power.

/ 8N vs JD950 #10  
I'm not so sure the 8N/750 comparison works well....similar power, but the 8N weighs 25% more, so it should be able to do more work with the same power.

i agree. the 8n hp is almost bang on with the 950, just a couple less. weight is a plus.

the downsides are hyds, froundspeed and lack of a live pto. I know the 950 has an option for 2 stage clutch after a certain sn. not sure what the early trans was though.