Large Dealer Vs. Small dealer

/ Large Dealer Vs. Small dealer #1  

fwc

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
Some of you more experienced tractor folk may have had the pleasure to buy/trade with more that one dealer. Do you have any preference (assuming you liked each equally) about dealing with a larger dealer or a smaller one. THings like: the larger on may have more resources and any needed specialty tools etc while smaller might give you a more personal approach. - Thoughts , ideas anyone....?

/ Large Dealer Vs. Small dealer
Even if you havent' bought from more than one, if you chose bigger vs smaller or vice versa, why? or did the size of the dealer matter at all -i.e were you more driven by brand?

Thanks

/ Large Dealer Vs. Small dealer #3  
When I started looking to buy a tractor for our new property four years ago, I knew nothing about compact tractors. I visited several dealers in our area and at first I was really looking to buy from a small hopefully more personal dealer.

After talking with the some neighbor farmers, it was clear that most did business with one of the large John Deere dealerships about fifteen miles away. After my first visit it was obvious why. The salesman knew his equipment well and was very willing to spend the time to answer my questions. A few of the other stores acted like they were too busy to do much more than give me a price quote.

Part of one of my visits was to met the service manager and see the shop area. It was impressive to see the large clean shop with some huge machines in for repair. There was also a section of the shop that was set aside for the compacts, yard and garden tractors.

There were several items included in the package and the shop foreman called me when the skids arrived for my rear blade. He was not happy with the them and felt that they were not what I wanted. After a brief discussion alternatives were found at a local supply house and the dealership picked up the additional cost. Since then I have nothing but good things to say about this large dealership. My Deere will soon be three years old and the right choice was made on tractor and dealership.

My advise is that large dealer may well treat you better than the small one. Just shop around and find the people you want to deal with for a long time. The price was a few dollars more but the service and advice is worth much, much more.

/ Large Dealer Vs. Small dealer
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Part of one of my visits was to met the service manager and see the shop area. )</font>

Excellent Idea... Thanks!

/ Large Dealer Vs. Small dealer #5  
I guess to me there is no right way, big or small. Big dealers get big one of two ways. They can do it by turning over product with low margins and using sales people that lack experience. They can also do it by giving the best service and creating a great reputation with qualified sales people that stay around. Small dealers can do the same. The key for anyone is to find any dealer that has a good reputation. If you find a salesperson that has been around for a while there probably is a reason for it, management pays him right to keep him there. We can always find someone to sell us something for less, but service is something that is hard to come by. Me, I don't mind paying more, within reason ensuring that I will get good service after the sale.

So what I am saying, it don't make diddley if buy from a big dealer or a small dealer, go with one that has a reputation. This would even change my mind on what brand to buy also.

murph

/ Large Dealer Vs. Small dealer #6  
I go with "GOOD dealer" !!!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Large Dealer Vs. Small dealer #7  
I've been through them all over the years, big and small dealers. The dealer I use now is pretty big. Still they have one of the best dealerships all around I've ever been at. Great service, friendly, wonderful prices, and they stick to their word. I've also had bad service at both big and small dealers. I really don't think it matters if the dealer is big or small. What matters is how you're treated.

/ Large Dealer Vs. Small dealer #8  
The personality of the salesman really made a difference. Kubota didn't seem to want my business. Century did.

Good Luck,
Eddie