Buying Advice Question for the Massey Folks

/ Question for the Massey Folks #1  

mclintoc

Tractor
2016 John Deere 5045e
First, I'm looking for a tractor in the 50hp range, preferably with a loader. Probably the hardest work it would do is haying an 8 acre field. I might do a little plowing too. I'm looking for a 2wd drive to keep it simpler and keep the price down. (I've heard the arguments for 4wd and am convinced that a 2wd will be just fine.)

At a local JD dealer is a MF 271XE, and though it's not quite what I'm looking for because it doesn't have a loader and the hp is 60, which is a little more than I need, nevertheless, of the tractors I've looked at, it seems to me the most well thought out tractor in terms of design. I really like it, so I'm starting to look at comparable Masseys.

Thus, my question: what's a good model/year for a Massey Ferguson? The main factors I'm concerned with are
1. longevity, durability--something that will start up and go for years to come with little input from me. Also, I want to stay away from any model that is known to have significant problems.
2. ease of getting replacement parts if needed (there are a couple MF dealers within 30 miles).
3. good, simple design: good operator platform, well made, heavy tractor. I don't want and I don't need any bells or whistles.

I'd like to keep the price below, or at least around, $15, 000

Thanks in advance for your replies

/ Question for the Massey Folks #2  
That machine would be a good one. Very simple. No real problems or issues with that series. It's better to have more tractor than you need and not use it.
What price are they looking at for it? You could put a loader on it if it was cheap enough.

/ Question for the Massey Folks #3  
My 2008 Mahindra 5525 with the ML250 FEL meets your requirements. Cost me $19K new with triple rear hydraulic remotes and skid steer quick attach on the FEL bucket.

Good luck.

/ Question for the Massey Folks #4  
For newer Massey Fergusons, I would think you would be looking at something like a 2625 or 2635. When I was looking at tractors, I found some really good deals on new ones, since they are 2WD. Lightly used, I would think they would fit in your price range. The 2625 is around 60 HP (over 50 HP PTO) and weighs over 5,000 pounds.

I would be interested in what you end up with for haying equipment and what it costs you. I am always on the lookout - but it seems that haying equipment is very expensive. My tractor (45 HP) would only handle the smallest of balers - and I just don't seem to come across anything that would fit the budget.

Last edited:
   / Question for the Massey Folks #5  
My Massey 241 comes pretty close to what you're talking about....although it's not a very current model (1999-2000). 48hp, 4,200lbs, 2WD, very simple, and the Perkins engine starts no matter how long it's been parked, or how cold it is. I paid $7K for it, and there's a guy in OH that sells them on Ebay regularly....he has a connection of some kind with an MF dealer down south...he brings back two each trip. You could probably just contact him, and see if he has a lead on any similar machines. The 231S was essentially the same machine built in a different factory (Poland versus Turkey).

Right after I hooked up the new 8' blade:

/ Question for the Massey Folks
Thanks for the replies. Just for clarification: I'm not looking for a new tractor. Something more like the 241 posted above fits my bill. GmanBart, have you discovered any significant mechanical problems with your tractor?

In reply to the earlier question, the 271xe for sale nearby has 321 hrs and is $15,500.

PS, I really like that blade with the detachable side plates--I wish I could find one like that nearby for sale.

/ Question for the Massey Folks #7  
?

In reply to the earlier question, the 271xe for sale nearby has 321 hrs and is $15,500.

I realize that you want a 2wd used tractor, but just to keep things in perspective;

The 271xe is 14 years old and costs $15, 500. add another 5K for a loader, and we're up to $20,500.

My JD 5055E 4WD w/loader was $25,000 w/ 30hrs on it, a new tractor warranty, and 0% financing.

I spent an additional $4500, but I just don't see the long term savings in that Massey.
Flusher has a similar situation as me, with his Mahindra 5525, only he got a new tractor for less than the cost of the 14 year old Massey, w/loader.

Adding a loader to a older machine, unless you find an used one, seldom pays off.

Please forgive me if I misunderstood anything.

All that said; a friend has a MF 243 from that era, and it has been a great machine.

Good luck in your decision.

Bill

/ Question for the Massey Folks
Yes, I agree, and in fact I have really like the 5055s, but as I said in my earlier post, I'm looking for a 50hp tractor with a loader for 15k or less. (I just liked the design of the 271. I don't plan to buy it.) I can't get that in a new tractor.

/ Question for the Massey Folks #10  
Thanks for the replies. Just for clarification: I'm not looking for a new tractor. Something more like the 241 posted above fits my bill. GmanBart, have you discovered any significant mechanical problems with your tractor?

PS, I really like that blade with the detachable side plates--I wish I could find one like that nearby for sale.

No major problems at all. There are three minor things it needs...one of the fittings on the power steering pump leaks (probably a $20 part), the latch securing the cover on the air filter is missing (safety wired in place), and two of the lug bolt holes in the RF hub are chewed up beyond what a thread chaser/restorer can handle (about a $50-75 part)....that's it, and not bad for a machine I bought used with 1,300 hours on it. I always read that Perkins diesel engines start easily, and this one certainly does...no matter how cold, or how long it's been sitting, it fires right up.

The rear blade is Everything Attachments XTreme series, and they offer free shipping up to 1K miles from their facility, and I think all of IL is within that range.

Everything Attachments XTreme Duty 6 way Tractor Scrape Blade