Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540

I think given your current and future needs I by a professional zero turn 60" or 72" if it's lawn you'll be mowing they'll mow twice a fast as a mmm or rotary cutter especially if you have obstacles to mow around. And then look at up sizing your your tractor size to someone like a large L series , MX5100 (cheapel series in disguise) or a real m series like a M6060.

A b series for me on 40 acres would be way to small. Heck it's way to small for my 10 acres. To be fair my M8540 is a little big for my 10 acres in some ways but I'm not looking to get rid of it

Dave

Elite Member
    Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

Default Re: Mid-mount mower vs rotary cutter?

Hook up implements WITHOUT a PTO connection is relatively simple.

Connecting a PTO shaft, which requires matching two closely fit splines and manipulating a lock, either in the form of a push-button or a sliding collar, while holding up the awkwardly positioned shaft in a confirmed space, is a greasy, sweaty job that usually inspires bad words.

Buy for your needs today. In a few years will greater acreage, you will want a bigger tractor; I have just acquired my third in five years, first a well seasoned Deere/Yanmar 750, the second a kubota B3300SU and now a Kubota L3560.

Slopes on your future land can make a huge difference in your tractor requirements.
    The word tractor was taken from Medieval Latin, being the agent noun of trahere "to pull, draw".

Kubota B3300SU; no longer with me but still pulling in the community.

Tractor
    Kubota B3200 HSD

I am not sure what you mean by "float", but I believe it does. It also has wheels in each of the four corners, although so far it has been mowing fine with just 3 of those 4 wheels.
    Last edited by Nanook; 02-24-2014 at 01:41 PM.

I'd look at at ZTR for your current needs and a 40 - 60 HP with rotary cutter when you move. You'll still have a use for the ZTR on your new property for around the house etc. Unless you really - really like to sit in the seat you want to be done mowing with in a few hours on the field. I currently have a 50 HP tractor with a 6ft rotary cutter and find that to mow 10acres (one of my fields) it takes about 4 hours as the field is not that smooth.

Good luck.
    2008 JD 5103, FEL, 6' Frontier, 6' HD boxblade, 7' Landscape rake, More impliments to come, Bobcat (clark) 742 SS.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2013 John Deere 3032E

I agree on having a ZTR mower and tractor. I have 10 acres and mow about 2 at the most with my 50" Toro and then I have a JD 3032e with FEL, brush hog and blade for pasture mowing and snow removal. The ZTR's are awesome for mowing and a blast to operate. I cant imagine mowing 5 to 10 acres, that's lots of mowing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12