What to buy??

/ What to buy?? #1  

paulfun9

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40
I currently own a JD 755 Hydro and use it to maintain my property and remove snow with a snow blower it has been a decent tractor but lately its showing its age and I feel its time for a replacement. Yesterday I happened by a Mahindra dealer and decided to stop and look. I was impressed with the fit/feel and size of the 3016 but felt it needed a little more power as that being one thing always lacking with the JD 755. So I priced the 3616 in both the hst and shuttle and am now wondering what tractors are out there that might be compatible with the 3616 that I should be looking at for comparison. Most dealerships with good levels of inventory are a far drive and time is limited so having an Idea before hand is best and searching their web sites just gets confusing and time consuming when I go to a dealer web site and find things listed that are not on the factory web sites.

Basically I think I need a tractor with about 33 to 38 HP and I don't care for bells and whistles! Simple straight forward with the least amount of electronics as possible. I have over the years noticed that many tractors make me feel cramped when sitting on them and that too must be a consideration.

So far the only one I have looked at is the Mahindra but I was looking and think the ford T1520 might be a good one to look at as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

/ What to buy?? #2  
How about a Kioti ck35? Sit on one. Roomy layout in my opinion. Very well built. Affordable.

/ What to buy??
Thanks for the reply!

The kioti is a nice looking tractor I did eyeball a couple at a closed dealership on the way home but being closed I couldn't get any specifics. The rocker pedal on the ck35 is absolutely terrible and would never work for me if I decided to get an other HST. I am not a fan of rocker pedals for the hydro but the one on the 3616 seems at least liveable with my big feet when I have my boots on. I really cant see anyone being happy when they have to travel in reverse for any length of time such as clearing snow down a long country driveway with a rear mounted snow blower. Which leads to the other limiting factor, I would really prefer not to have to replace all my impliments to fit the new tractor. Also a front mounted snow blower is about useless when you live out here as there are always places where you absolutely have to turn around and use the bucket to clear because of uneven landscape.

I haven't yet decided on going with the HST or a shuttle for certain but am leaning towards the HST as of now. That is one of the reasons the ford looks appealing to me from the pics. A dual pedal set up for the HST The only downside I see with the ford from the pics online is that it has an electronic actuator for the PTO. Remember I am not a fan of electrical components on a work tractor. My friend purchased a newer JD a few years back and has had nothing but trouble with all the electronic gizmoes and such.

Last edited:
   / What to buy?? #4  
I was going to suggest the Kioti as an option, but if you don't like the HST pedal, that's understandable. An LS G3033 or G3038 would fit the bill as well....33 and 38hp respectively in the same size machine. LS doesn't prevent dealers from advertising actual prices, so my dealer runs an ad in Craigslist pretty much all the time. This is a gear model, but an HST should be less than $1K more....lot of machine for the money.

LS G3038 tractor loader, 38hp, 4 wheel drive

/ What to buy??
The LS looks interesting! After reading some of the forums I see the New fords are supposedly made by them so I will have to take a look around and see if there is an actual LS dealer around here. Thanks again for the advice, by the way I think the DK series from Kioti has the dual pedals so it might also be worth a trip back down to look at them.

/ What to buy?? #6  
Do check out LS tractors. Be sure and spend more than a few minutes of seat time. Operate the tractor, then just sit for awhile.

/ What to buy?? #7  
The LS looks interesting! After reading some of the forums I see the New fords are supposedly made by them so I will have to take a look around and see if there is an actual LS dealer around here. Thanks again for the advice, by the way I think the DK series from Kioti has the dual pedals so it might also be worth a trip back down to look at them.

I haven't looked at a DK 35, but the 40/45/50 all have dual pedals, and are really nice machines, so they're definitely worth looking at.

If you wind up liking one of the Kioti models, there's one other thing to consider that might save you some money. Kioti was building tractors for Bobcat, but Bobcat decided to get out of the compact tractor market. It seems like there are still a few Bobcat tractors left as closeouts here and there...at reduced prices. You'd still be able to get parts/service from a Kioti dealer since they're the same machines with different paint.

Right now LS is making some of the New Holland compacts, but not all (Shibaura is making the rest). You can tell by the data plate...if it says LS MTron, it's made by LS. It's a pretty tangled web of who actually makes what these days!

Ford actually hasn't had any connection to NH for over 20 years. Fiat bought NH from Ford in 1991, and then added Case, to make it Case/NH. The funny thing is that puts them in the same family as Chrysler! I know a bunch of people that work at Chrysler, and one of them told me they get employee pricing on Case/NH equipment similar to if they buy a car.

/ What to buy?? #8  
I too think the LS tractors are solid machines and a good value.

Size and capability wise, what series LS tractors compare with what series Kioti tractors?

In other words, what LS series lines up with the Kioti DK range? What about the Kioti CK range?

/ What to buy?? #9  
I too think the LS tractors are solid machines and a good value.

Size and capability wise, what series LS tractors compare with what series Kioti tractors?

In other words, what LS series lines up with the Kioti DK range? What about the Kioti CK range?

Generally speaking, the LS R and XR series are similar to the Kioti DK series. The R series is going away (Tier III emissions), and being replaced by the XR series. The LS G and J series are similar to the Kitoi CK series....for whatever reason, LS separates out the smaller J series, which is similar to the Kioti CK 20S and 27. It's probably because the J series, and CK 20S/27 are sub-compacts rather than small compacts. R,

/ What to buy?? #10  
Sure wish I had a LS dealer close by when I was Tractor shopping. I like Blue.