Big tractor syndrome

/ Big tractor syndrome #1  

Cherokee140

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 650, Ford 8n, John Deere Model 70 Kubota BX25D
I admit I am kinda a noob at this tractor thing.....I have lived in the country for 16 years, own ~13ac that is a mix of pasture terraced, pretty heavy wooded areas, swampy areas that do not drain well, and some steep hills in the back part of the property....a little bit of everything.

I started looking at new tractors about 2 months ago....my old JD650 is just worn out...so I am looking for something to replace it. Its old job was mowing (belly mower) Brush hog the thicker areas, pulling a small 2 bottom plow, and the odd push pull type jobs that come up. I still have an 8n that starts right up with the turn of a key, and an old JD 70. I have also borrowed from neighbors larger more modern tractors with loaders and such for special projects.

I was very happy with the size of the 650 never found it lacking for power, currently I am looking at Kubota BX and JD 1 series machines.....Same basic jobs as above, but I want a backhoe to thin out that forest area, bucket for moving gravel, mulch, dirt....

I was really thinking that the BX and 1series would really do the job....but all the dealers are trying to up-sell me on larger (more expensive machines).

I made a post on another thread and made this comment.

Everyone and I do mean EVERYONE wants to up sell you in this market....reminds me of the motorcycle market.....you really don't need a 1200cc motorcycle to ride on the highway, I rode a 225 across this state, and there are books by a female that rode one across Africa, and then rode from Alaska to the very tip of south America....all on a Yamaha XT225 (Books called Lois on the loose if you are interested and they are good books) point being that you really don't need a big machine to do a lot of things....a small machine correctly run and projects planned can make do with less.

Yes I know some things you HAVE to have that big machine....round bails and such....but I have yet to find anything on my 13ac that is a mixture of fields, woods, and pretty swampy with some steep hills that my little JD650 would not do. I really have a problem seeing how people with 4ac need a 40hp tractor

The money is really not a huge issue.....yea I don't want to spend it, but I don't want to buy less then I need.....I also don't want to buy more then I will ever use.

Just would like some thoughts on the big tractor syndrome.....am I way off base here.

BTW: There is one Kubota dealer that listened to what I was going to be using the machine for and he suggested the BX, the size my internet research seemed to suggest....everyone else has been suggesting other larger models.

/ Big tractor syndrome #2  
Then buy the BX. If you feel its right for you go for it

/ Big tractor syndrome #3  
Just depends what you're doing with it. For me it's less about HP, more about weight and tire size and lift capacity. You say you have woods, but must not be making 10 cords of firewood/year, or if you are it must not be from 20-30" diameter logs. There are lots of situations I encounter on our twenty acres when the clearance, traction, and weight of a bigger frame tractor are a necessity. I also don't have neighbors with stuff I want to borrow. If you've already tamed your 13 acres, a small compact would probably be great, or even a scut if you're not worried about clearance.

/ Big tractor syndrome #4  
I looked up the size of your JD650 and from photos it looks to be more the size of a small compact like a Kubota B 2320 or 2620 for example. It also looks like it has similar ground clearance to these models (and no bottom hydro fan as in some sub compacts). For the description of your land and chores I think the ground clearance is one factor in people suggesting a slightly larger cut rather than a scut. Also a little more lift height in your 3pt implements with the cut size. Again seems closer to what you currently use.

Personally, I have had both a scut and cut and in your case I think a small cut would be a better fit. It doesn't sound like anyone was trying to talk you into a huge machine, but if you want something a little smaller than you currently use but still very capable like a scut get it and don't listen to the suggestions. Also you stated wanting an FEL and BH (I agree with that) and the scut packages like a bx25 or Massey 1720 etc. are attractive and simple to purchase as a pre configured package. Plus you have the 8n to handle some ground engaging chores. Btw, you don't sound like a noob to me!

/ Big tractor syndrome #5  
We love our BX2200 and BX2660 and will always have one or two just like it, but after doing much of what you describe, we decided to buy a bigger one to supplement them. The BX will do what you describe, but we have ripped the boots off of ours due to the low ground clearance and as we have gotten older, the small wheels and rough ride just became too annoying.

I got protection for the boots, put skid plates on from Bro-Tek, BXpanded also makes them, and have our BX2200 set up for wandering off into the rough stuff so it sometimes works right along with our bigger tractors.

Good luck.

/ Big tractor syndrome #6  
Nothing against the BX or 1-series, but they are very focused on low-ground-clearance applications. If mowing was a priority, I think these machines would have a very compelling advantage over bigger tractors. For working in the woods, doing loader/backhoe work, and just banging around, I'd say to move up at least one size. A bigger tractor won't mow quite as well, but it will do better at most everything else.

I ignored advice to go bigger when I bought my first tractor, a B2920. At the time, the priority was skidding logs out of the woods between trees, and I honestly couldn't have gone bigger. The B2920 was perfect, and served me well. Once I transitioned to things like driveway maintenance and moving bucked/split firewood, suddenly the 2920 felt too small. I moved up to an L, and it's been great -- I can carry significantly more firewood in the larger front bucket, which means fewer trips moving it around.

When shopping for the B2920, I had looked at the BX and 1-series, mainly because I was focused on cost/value. But it became obvious they were not going to be good log skidding machines, and I didn't need to mow anything.

/ Big tractor syndrome #7  
I don't know if you are planning on needing to do fencing, but one of the drawbacks to the JD 1 series is the fact that it can't use a standard sized post hole digger. I really like the small machines, but I have to agree that ground clearance can become an issue. If your place is not too rough, though, the BX and 1 series might work for you. When I sat on a JD 1026, I was very impressed with how comfortable it was and liked it a lot.

I haven't priced these type of machines out in a while. I know that the 1 Series with loader and MMM come in somewhere around 14-15K. What is the difference in price when you step up one level? If its not all that much, maybe it would be worth it since it would still be able to do the same work that the 1 series and BX could do - but only better. You wouldn't have any regrets in the future, and resale might be better for you as well if you ever decide to sell.

/ Big tractor syndrome #8  
I have a BX24. I find that the front wheels are too small to drive around in the woods, the little wheels can't climb over small logs very well, and it's too light to skid logs out sometimes if theres uphills or sticks on the ground. Everyone tells me that I need an L-size, which is a lot bigger than the B-Size. I suspect when you get an L-size stuck it's a bigger deal than a BX stuck. I have found the BX to be too small for what I do. The BX lifts 460 lbs, I need to lift about 800lbs.

Anyway that's my feedback with regard to your question. The BX retained its value well, did what I needed to 95% of the time, and was more maneuverable during that time. But I'll sell it and get a bigger tractor soon, no regrets. Not sure of Ill get a B or L size, depends what kind of good deals come up.

/ Big tractor syndrome #9  
The only thing I would like to add is the backhoe specs. Beware of very limited digging depths with the small tractor.
I hope to add one to the L model that I bought and am rather depressed that the biggest hoe I can get will dig to a max depth of 7'7". That is even a bigger drawback to the smaller units. And for any loader work with a lighter tractor having an HST transmission would make it far easier to get traction to the ground on the lighter tractors.
Whatever you get, I wish you many pleasurable years with it.

/ Big tractor syndrome #10  
The hst may make it "easier" to get traction to the ground, I think it makes just about everything easier. But it doesn't let you put more traction to the ground. Traction to the ground is a factor of weight, and tread. Heavier is better, more tread/bigger tires is better. A small machine without much weight will spin it's tires early, regardless of transmission type.