Buying Advice Kubota vs John Deere (sub)Compact tractor comparisons

/ Kubota vs John Deere (sub)Compact tractor comparisons #1  

Nanook

Tractor
Kubota B3200 HSD
I am looking to buy a TLB. I will also need a post hole digger, reverse tiller, pto generator, and, eventually, a finish mower of some sort. I have been looking at the Kubota B2920, B3320HSD, and B3300SU. I've received lots of great advise and suggestions. I am still not sure which I will buy. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Now, I am thinking that I should compare John Deere offerings, since they are both in the same market, and both have 0% financing. I don't believe I have any other dealers in the area which market serious competition in this relatively small tractor market. (Buying used a non-issue, IMO, since tractors don't depreciate that much, and used would either require a lot of cash or a loan at much more than 0%. That being said, I would like to find a used post hole digger and reverse roto-tiller. I'm sure they are out there, and I am sure they are considerably cheaper when used. And, my usage is not going to be extremely heavy for these implements.) I have not yet visited a JD dealer, but I went to their web site. I have not been totally successful at figuring out an apples-to-apples comparison, but I am sure the dealer can provide that. But, I did price out a 2032R and 3033R, which seem to me to be roughly equivalent to the Kubota tractors that I mentioned. However, they seem to be much more expensive. Of course, I am just comparing MSRP. I know that Kubota offers a pretty decent discount to MSRP depending on the dealer and their inventory, etc. I am sure the same situation exists for JD. But, since JD seems to start at a much higher point, at least from my limited research, they are either a lot more expensive, or they offer a better discount to the buyer.

I have known several people who owned Kubotas and they were very happy. I have never known anyone that owned a JD. That is probably because the Kubota dealers are closer. But, does anyone have any advise as far as Kubota vs JD? I would like at least 23 to 25 pto hp, and I do not want something with a cab since that will never fit in my garage.

/ Kubota vs John Deere (sub)Compact tractor comparisons #2  
If anyone here tells you one is universally better than the other, they are either inexperienced or defending their brand. I own both, and shop both. My new big tractor is a Kubota, but I wouldn't rule out another Deere in the future.

When shopping prioritize features, dealer support, and how the tractor feels to you. Let price be a factor, but not the primary one. You may find you prefer to spend a little more for one model/brand or the other.

When I bought my B2920, I had been looking at the Deere 1026R and 2520 (at the time). The Kubota B was just a better fit of features and value that time. When I got my L recently, it was mainly because the local Deere dealer didn't have anything in that size/price range to even consider, plus I got a good trade-in deal at Kubota.

None of that will stop me from shopping Deere again. I like them both. For that matter, there are some very good other brands out there too. I just wouldn't get hung up on brand or price. Shop around, test drive, and the right tractor will pretty much jump out at you!

/ Kubota vs John Deere (sub)Compact tractor comparisons #3  
:stirthepot:I think they both suck.:D

/ Kubota vs John Deere (sub)Compact tractor comparisons #4  
A Kioti CK30HST will run rings around any of the machines mentioned other than the 3033R and cost less...they have two dealers pretty close to you....one looks to be about 5mi.

A Mahindra Max 28XL would also be right there as far as performance.

My advice would be to check them out before signing on the dotted line for anything.

Last edited:
   / Kubota vs John Deere (sub)Compact tractor comparisons #5  
   / Kubota vs John Deere (sub)Compact tractor comparisons #6  
   / Kubota vs John Deere (sub)Compact tractor comparisons #7  
The Kubotas in the size you are looking at have a 3 range hydro were the Deere has a 2 range.

The JD's will have position control and the Kubotas will have a 1/4 inching valve.

I would figure out which one you like the best then find the best price on. Don't save $500 on a tractor that you will never be happy with.

A Kioti CK30HST will run rings around any of the machines mentioned other than the 3033R and cost less...they have two dealers pretty close to you....one looks to be about 5mi.

A Mahindra Max 28XL would also be right there as far as performance.

My advice would be to check them out before signing on the dotted line for anything.

Yeah but that is only because the hydro pedal will stick and you won't be able to get it stopped:laughing:

/ Kubota vs John Deere (sub)Compact tractor comparisons #9  
I actually have been pricing both the B Kubota and the JD 2032R. Both with a loader/backhoe/belly mower. I was told by the JD dealers (more then 1) that getting the backhoe off requires tools....as in crawling under the machine taking off bolts. That was the deal breaker for me. The drive over deck is only the 62" and not the 72" as well.

The prices on both machines came to only a few thousand of each other. And I felt that if I really wanted the JD I could push the dealer a little harder and could get real close to the Kubota price.

I only got to sit on them at a pretty big farm show in KC not too long ago, and actually liked how the JD sat better....the seat was just a little better to me. I also liked the MF 1700 series machines, but they felt a little taller to me. Case had a nice one as well, but the folks there did not want to give me the time of day....they were too busy talking to each other about golf.

/ Kubota vs John Deere (sub)Compact tractor comparisons #10  
I guess the best advice I could offer is to not rule out any brand. Take your time and try out as many as you can. The 0% financing for 5 years is hard to beat with the Kubota and JD. I'm sure GManBart will be along here soon to tell me I don't have enough experience to comment on the subject, but oh well, that's my 2 cents anyway. Good Luck