~30-35 HP Shopping Results

/ ~30-35 HP Shopping Results #1  

torchroadster

Tractor
New Holland TC29D
Yesterday I went shopping for my first tractor. I think I am looking for about 30-35 HP, 4WD, with a loader. The use is mainly for dirt and tree work. My property is mostly wooded with elevation changes. I need to tame a lot of it. Mowing is not a consideration. I am not sure about transmission type, I've driven both and of course the HST is easier to drive, but not sure it is worth the money.

I visited four dealers - I have summarized what I found in the attached spreadsheet - I hope you can read it OK. Financing offsets between used/new are not a consideration.

All comments and suggestions are welcome. I plan to do more shopping and keep this updated as I do.

Thank you.

/ ~30-35 HP Shopping Results #2  
The LS looks good based on your spreadsheet with either the HST or shuttle. What is your favorite so far? In the end, I suggest you get the size and features you want now. For dirt and tree work you do want weight and power. Any Kioti dealers around?

/ ~30-35 HP Shopping Results
Closest Kioti dealer is about 30 miles, I'll try to check them out. I made a run on Saturday and hit the closest four dealers in one general direction from my house. Maybe I'll have to go the other way next Saturday! I'm fortunate there are a lot of dealers within an hour from me.

So far I don't have a favorite. I wasn't able to test an LS with HST but would like to. The Cub Cadet is interesting but it seems to be a bit off the mainstream right now. Not sure about continued support for parts and so on.

/ ~30-35 HP Shopping Results #4  
If you expect to do a lot of loader work, you would probably find the HST the better choice, especially if this is your first tractor. Is it?

I'd also give some consideration to what you think you might be doing in 3-5 years with the tractor, not just what you might want to do as soon as you get it. This might influence your decision as to what to buy. (Like what kinds of things might you want to put on the 3 point. Is PTO power going to be a consideration for what you might be doing in the future?)

And of course the usual suggestions about knowing your dealer - what kind of support do you expect from your dealer? Are you a big DIYer? Or are you going to rely on them for all service / maintenance.

Where about in East Texas are you?

/ ~30-35 HP Shopping Results #5  
The prices on the LS are a touch better than my local dealer is, so you're in the right ballpark. One thought, if you go up to the G3038, you get 300lbs more FEL lift capacity, and the machine only costs about $700 more.

Regardless, they're all good machines....whatever feels best, and fits the budget will do a good job for you.

/ ~30-35 HP Shopping Results #6  
HST transmissions have max torque at low engine RPMs. You will appreciate this when pulling any ground engagement implement and when starting on a hill.

HST transmissions provide engine braking. You will appreciate engine braking on hills.

HST transmissions change from forward to reverse by rocking a pedal. You will appreciate this when doing loader work.

/ ~30-35 HP Shopping Results #7  
I'll be watching this thread, since we are considering getting rid of a perfectly good Kubota B8200 gear drive tractor, which I have messed with making upgrades and "improvements" over the years we've had it until I am happy with it, to get a HST tranny tractor so my wife would use it. What you are looking at is about what I think we want. My B8200 only has 21hp, which is enough, but I think I need the weight that comes with the 30hp CUTs to do what I want. More power would mean more hydraulic speed, too. My only experience is with the Kubota, but I am so impressed with its reliability, and ability, that I am inclined to stay with the brand. Plus, resale, or "investment" seems real good, too. Have fun, both in buying and using.

/ ~30-35 HP Shopping Results #8  
I am glad I went with a 35HP tractor and very happy with HST.
Ron

/ ~30-35 HP Shopping Results
Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies!

If you expect to do a lot of loader work, you would probably find the HST the better choice, especially if this is your first tractor. Is it?

I'd also give some consideration to what you think you might be doing in 3-5 years with the tractor, not just what you might want to do as soon as you get it. This might influence your decision as to what to buy. (Like what kinds of things might you want to put on the 3 point. Is PTO power going to be a consideration for what you might be doing in the future?)

And of course the usual suggestions about knowing your dealer - what kind of support do you expect from your dealer? Are you a big DIYer? Or are you going to rely on them for all service / maintenance.

Where about in East Texas are you?

This is my first tractor, although I've borrowed and rented several, all with manual transmissions, ranging from 27 to 40 HP.

Good point about thinking to the future - the most I can see myself doing with a PTO is driving a post-hole digger.

I'm a big DIYer - except for major warranty work I would probably never go to the dealer for service.

I am in Hunt County.

The prices on the LS are a touch better than my local dealer is, so you're in the right ballpark. One thought, if you go up to the G3038, you get 300lbs more FEL lift capacity, and the machine only costs about $700 more.

Regardless, they're all good machines....whatever feels best, and fits the budget will do a good job for you.

Thanks - I will check out the G3038.

HST transmissions have max torque at low engine RPMs. You will appreciate this when pulling any ground engagement implement and when starting on a hill.

HST transmissions provide engine braking. You will appreciate engine braking on hills.

HST transmissions change from forward to reverse by rocking a pedal. You will appreciate this when doing loader work.

This is interesting - I had one salesman tell me yesterday that the HST could cost up to 5 HP in loss through the transmission - that seemed extremely high to me for a 35 HP tractor. Do any manufacturers spec HP at the drive wheels?

/ ~30-35 HP Shopping Results #10  
That is a fine spreadsheet. I do the same thing when shopping for tractors or major implements. I have a column for dollars per pound.

Here is a LINK to HST Vs. Gear threads in the T-B-N archive:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...+Gear+site:tractorbynet.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I had one salesman tell me yesterday that the HST could cost up to 5 HP in loss through the transmission - that seemed extremely high to me for a 35 HP tractor. Do any manufacturers spec HP at the drive wheels?

There is SOME loss but 5/35 is too high. Max torque at low engine speeds is MUCH more important.

You have not mentioned your budget, although all the tractors in your spreadsheet are pretty much utility machines. Have you considered a Kubota 'Grand L' L3560, which has a heavier frame and all the bells and whistles for $8,000 more? I am sure Deere makes an equivalent 'vanity' model.

I evolved 'up' from a Kubota B3300SU tractor/loader package to an L3560. 'Grand L' sure is NICE.

Please expand on what "tree work" means to you.

Last edited: