Compact tractor brands that have bit the dust.

/ Compact tractor brands that have bit the dust. #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
As the owner of a Bobcat compact tractor, I know they are no longer available. Montana is history. Century I think has transitioned to Branson maybe ? Any other companies started or stopped in the last couple of years?

/ Compact tractor brands that have bit the dust. #2  
Farmtrac
Cub Cadet

/ Compact tractor brands that have bit the dust. #4  
I thought you could still get FarmTrac's ?

They went bankrupt and were bought out buy Montana. There is a Farmtrac Europe website so I guess they are sold in Europe.

/ Compact tractor brands that have bit the dust. #5  
Interesting thread....as being new to this market it makes me glad I bought from someone that has been around for a long time....and made little tractors for a long time...I hope my experience with orange is better then with green. I found out that green does not make parts for some of their older little tractors....and that is a key reason I bought orange.

/ Compact tractor brands that have bit the dust. #6  
I hope my experience with orange is better then with green. I found out that green does not make parts for some of their older little tractors....and that is a key reason I bought orange.

Don't let the greene fans hear you say that! Many will point out that they can get parts for any older green tractor, and that's a significant reason for going with a Deere. I've seen others say the same thing about most brands, and even some older orange machines are hard to get parts for now. In reality, companies are only going to support their products for so long, and it gets more complicated when you're outsourcing parts (everybody is). The best you can probably do is buy a model that they sell a lot of, with the hopes that sheer numbers will make it a model they support for a long, long time.

/ Compact tractor brands that have bit the dust. #7  
It depends on how hard your willing to work to find your parts for any older tractor. Case in point is the venerable Powerking Economy. Last produced in the early 70s. Parts are available but you really have to look.

/ Compact tractor brands that have bit the dust. #8  
Is Challenger still around?

/ Compact tractor brands that have bit the dust. #9  
One reason for going with a different brand was the parts availability issue with my current JD 650. I needed a new rear wheel, sorry they are not made anymore....I had one custom made. Then the bottom/front PTO went south. The electric clutch bit that I need does not exist any longer. I understand you can't make everything forever, but a tractor made in 1986 should still have parts available.

Funny thing is the service guys said it was a Yanmar part that was not being made any longer for the clutch...oddly that is not an issue when looking at current tractors powered by Yanmar engines. Odd how the sales people say parts availability down the road would not be an issue, where it IS and issue with the tractor I currently have according to the service department.

Don't let the greene fans hear you say that! Many will point out that they can get parts for any older green tractor, and that's a significant reason for going with a Deere. I've seen others say the same thing about most brands, and even some older orange machines are hard to get parts for now. In reality, companies are only going to support their products for so long, and it gets more complicated when you're outsourcing parts (everybody is). The best you can probably do is buy a model that they sell a lot of, with the hopes that sheer numbers will make it a model they support for a long, long time.

/ Compact tractor brands that have bit the dust. #10  
Is Challenger still around?

Challenger is still around, a brand from AGCO. They no longer distribute compact or smaller utility tractors, the smallest being 75 HP.