Buying Advice Bobcat CT 225

/ Bobcat CT 225 #1  

MoPops

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225, John Deere X540
I found a CT 225, new, loader, ez hookups, hst, either R4 industrial tires, or narrower "crop" type tires.. @$14,000.
I've been reading, looking, at various sites, for what seems an eternity.
Haven't bought it yet, but close.
First post, I can take blunt recommendations.. I've got 44 acres, just 10 tillable, the rest is timbered.
I need to do a lot of cutting and moving wood, building brush piles, feathering the field edges. Hauling junk away, old stoves, water heaters, etc.. I need to spread some gravel also, and maintain a gravel road. (300 yards)
Also, I'd maybe,, like to put in alfalfa in the 10 acres.. I'd leave the cutting and bailing to someone else.
Possibly I'd need to turn over the field? It's in no til beans right now..
Ok, what of the above, could the CT 225 handle?
Which tires should I go with?
What (besides the loader that it comes with) attachments/implements, would I need?
Is $14,000 too much for the CT 225?
I know, it's a lot of questions, especially for a first post, but hey, it's going to be spring soon, I need to make some decisions..
Thanks,
Jeff

/ Bobcat CT 225 #2  
I own a ct225. It has been pretty solid.It is very comfortable and seems well made. It has good weight but just so-so power. I think it will do most of the jobs that you need,but tilling 10 acres will be a stretch. I have r4 tires and they are fine. They look better and are tougher. They are also good for loader work. R1 or crop tires will be fine as well. They give better traction in wet conditions. The price might be a bit high since Bobcat is out of the business and this tractor is a bit of an orphan.Retail was about 17 thousand, but a lot ere purchased with a free loader program,so that makes pricing vary. Mccormick and Kioti offer the same machines and Bobcat is still supporting the machines they sold, for now. I think You need a trailer or wagon for hauling and a box blade for the driveway. I think a plow and harrow for tilling and field prep. A tooth bar is very very helpful as is a set of forks that fit on the bucket.I would also think you would need a rotary cutter(Bushog) I think you can check the used market and find all this for about $3500.00 but it will take take some time. You may have to buy the forks and tooth bar new. If you have the extra cash, I would buy a new trailer instead of a used one.

/ Bobcat CT 225 #3  
The Bobcat ct225 is a solid tractor. I'm convinced that Bobcat will support them for a considerable time.

I think the price is "on the money". As a reference, around here Bobcat ct230 models were selling out last fall at $15,500. There are none left at the dealers in my area.

/ Bobcat CT 225 #4  
44 acres..I would want more machine personally, I would look at a DK 40/45/50series Kioti or equivalent machine at a minimum, get it plumbed up front for a grapple, for moving brush, trees, junk, etc.

Any tractor will save you alot of work... It is cheaper to buy a big enough machine the first time.

/ Bobcat CT 225
44 acres..I would want more machine personally, I would look at a DK 40/45/50series Kioti or equivalent machine at a minimum, get it plumbed up front for a grapple, for moving brush, trees, junk, etc.

Any tractor will save you alot of work... It is cheaper to buy a big enough machine the first time.

I was thinking this would be a comment, but budget constraints prevent me from looking at a new one this big. I've been looking for used, but haven't seen anything close. I'm just looking at 10 acres tilled.. I see what you are saying, but that's just too much $$ right now. Maybe if the government would buy it for me..
Just kidding

/ Bobcat CT 225
I own a ct225. It has been pretty solid.It is very comfortable and seems well made. It has good weight but just so-so power. I think it will do most of the jobs that you need,but tilling 10 acres will be a stretch. I have r4 tires and they are fine. They look better and are tougher. They are also good for loader work. R1 or crop tires will be fine as well. They give better traction in wet conditions. The price might be a bit high since Bobcat is out of the business and this tractor is a bit of an orphan.Retail was about 17 thousand, but a lot ere purchased with a free loader program,so that makes pricing vary. Mccormick and Kioti offer the same machines and Bobcat is still supporting the machines they sold, for now. I think You need a trailer or wagon for hauling and a box blade for the driveway. I think a plow and harrow for tilling and field prep. A tooth bar is very very helpful as is a set of forks that fit on the bucket.I would also think you would need a rotary cutter(Bushog) I think you can check the used market and find all this for about $3500.00 but it will take take some time. You may have to buy the forks and tooth bar new. If you have the extra cash, I would buy a new trailer instead of a used one.

Thanks for all the info.. The guy I'm talking to said he bought 40 of the CT225s and is down to three. I don't think he'll take any more off. Nothing else new is in that price range. I called the local bobcat dealer and spoke with the service mgr. He is comfortable supporting it thru the warranty etc, and thinks bobcat will provide parts for a fairly long time.

/ Bobcat CT 225
The Bobcat ct225 is a solid tractor. I'm convinced that Bobcat will support them for a considerable time.

I think the price is "on the money". As a reference, around here Bobcat ct230 models were selling out last fall at $15,500. There are none left at the dealers in my area.

Good to hear. There's no doubt I could always use bigger, and more hp, but this is my first tractor, if I screw it up (without getting hurt) I won't be out huge $$$

/ Bobcat CT 225 #8  
I was thinking this would be a comment, but budget constraints prevent me from looking at a new one this big. I've been looking for used, but haven't seen anything close. I'm just looking at 10 acres tilled.. I see what you are saying, but that's just too much $$ right now. Maybe if the government would buy it for me..
Just kidding

Maybe if the government would buy it for me..Just kidding
You know, with out getting on a rant...the folks that live off the government probably know a way to do it:mur:

I here you, we have to make do with what we can afford at the time.
Do you need to load over the side of a truck? The smaller tractors are limited with the height of the loader.

Do what you need to do..But I would get the biggest machine that I could afford, and will fit where it needs to go.

/ Bobcat CT 225 #9  
Also, I don't know how your planning on buying, cash or finance, nor is it any of my buisness.

But here is something to chomp on..Kioti has the free loader program going on....

Another member here just picked up a Kioti DK45 HST with loader for 21,500.
He was originally dealing on a DK40 HST, the dealer sold it and gave him the 45 for the same price.

If you are financing, maybe in the grand scheme of things the payment would still be in line??

Do a little more digging before you jump.

The thread is here...http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/buying-pricing-comparisons/305007-kioti-dk40se-hst-vs-mahindra.html

if I screw it up (without getting hurt) I won't be out huge $$$

I wouldn't worry about screwing it up...slow and cautious, once you get these home they shrink.

I would be more worried about wasted dollars by not buying the right machine the first time:)

Good Luck

/ Bobcat CT 225 #10  
I also agree that you should be looking a little larger. I understand budgets, but you can spend just a couple grand more and get way more tractor from either Kioti (same tractor as the Bobcats), LS, TYM, Mahindra, etc.

You can get a new LS G3038 (38hp) with loader for around $15k.

General rule of thumb, especially on your first tractor purchase ... buy one size larger than you think you should.