Suggestions for 2 acre tractor

/ Suggestions for 2 acre tractor #1  

JakeCT

Tractor
None Yet
Hi all. New member here. I am in need of a tractor for 2 acres of land and would like suggestions on the size of tractor I will want. I will need to move snow from my driveway and sidewalk, haul dirt/gravel/firewood/rocks, clear forest, eventually till, and maybe some digging. The land is mostly forest that I will be clearing for garden space. There is very little grass but I have a push mower to take care of that. I have a standard garage space to store the tractor.

I've mostly been looking at Kubotas since there is a dealer close to me. The B series I've been researching. There are also close JD dealers. 20 miles away there are more various dealers.

As a side question, will moving snow off a sidewalk that is maybe 3 ft wide ruin the grass on the edges if I use a tractor?

/ Suggestions for 2 acre tractor #2  
I've got two tractors. one a B7610 (23HP) which I keep on my 1/4 acre lot and one a M4700 (50HP) which I keep on my 1/2 acre lot, both in Northern Virginia.

However I'm planning on moving both down to Mississippi where I've more than 300 acres.

For 2 acres you can probably get buy with a BX or a two wheel tractor for maintaining it. However if you have to clear 2 acres of mature forest (40' plus trees) you'll need something bigger to start with. Probably something in the 40HP plus range.

Make a list of things which must be done once (removing mature trees) and things which will be done often (move snow from driveway and sidewalk, haul dirt/gravel/firewood, till).

And you'll need a narrow tractor to move snow off a 3' wide driveway.

/ Suggestions for 2 acre tractor #3  
If your are removing mature trees you might talk around....I had some pretty large oak trees taken down and got quite a bit of money out of them.

You could be sitting on the tractor bought out right if you have the right size and type of trees on your land.

/ Suggestions for 2 acre tractor #4  
Look at the Mahindras at Ellington Agway. Thats not to far for you.

/ Suggestions for 2 acre tractor
If your are removing mature trees you might talk around....I had some pretty large oak trees taken down and got quite a bit of money out of them.

You could be sitting on the tractor bought out right if you have the right size and type of trees on your land.

Yup. I've already taken down (4) 100 year old oaks (2 red and 2 white) and cut into 12' logs. The portable sawmill is stopping by in the spring to make me some 1" and 2" thick boards. I'll probably make some workbench tables, new kitchen table, some built-ins, etc. after they dry.

What might be able to pick up or drag a 12' oak log? Can a BX handle that?

/ Suggestions for 2 acre tractor #6  
I really hate to pick out any particular tractor because there are probably thirty that would work well and at least that many that would do it OK if not optimal. If you are new to tractors, go rent something for a weekend of about the size you think you will need to get a baseline for comparison.

I like different models of different makes and there are some really good ones about which I know nothing.

We own two BX's and JD2305 and none wold be my choice and wouldn't go below one of the heavier Kubota B Series or equivalent, but as mentioned it is mind boggling how many would be great choices.

Good luck.

/ Suggestions for 2 acre tractor #7  
If you don't plan on having to mow with it I would look into a smaller compact tractor like the kubota B's or L's and the JD 30's series or any similar sized tractor from a different manufacturer.

My reasons are being being this.
Increased lift capacity on FEL
Increased tractor clearance
Increased 3pt lift capacity
Small Cat 1 implements are virtually the same price as Cat 0 ones for subcompacts.

My kubota L2500 handles everything I need of it around the house. It's not a fancy tractor but it is a workhorse. I had some logs milled as well and it was capable of lifting 10' 24-30" diameter oak logs on the portable mill. I skidded 18" diameter trees by just cutting them down and dragging them off without any limbing. Is small enough I can run all over the yard without leaving ruts even with ag tires and even with 2' of snow on the ground I can still get to my woodpile without having to snowblow a path.

I would stay clear of the BX series or the JD 20's not because they are are bad tractors but because subcompacts generally don't have a lot of clearance. If you have stumps around and any significant amount of snowfall you will appreciate the added clearance.

As for bare ground on each side of the path from snowblowing don't worry one bit about it. The first couple snows until the ground freezes you might scrape some of the turf but once it freezes you are good to go. I snowblow a large portion of my yard with my 5' snowblower mounted on back because if I don't my drive will drift in and in the spring you cannot tell the difference from what was buried under snow and what was kept clear.

/ Suggestions for 2 acre tractor #8  
When you say a 12' log, what diameter?
Fresh cut red oak is about the same density as water - 62.4 lbs/ft^3.
a 24" log, 12' long weighs approx 3.14*(1^2)*12*62.4 = 2350 lbs.

/ Suggestions for 2 acre tractor
When you say a 12' log, what diameter?
Fresh cut red oak is about the same density as water - 62.4 lbs/ft^3.
a 24" log, 12' long weighs approx 3.14*(1^2)*12*62.4 = 2350 lbs.

All are probably 18-24" diameter. Hard to tell without measuring. But the arborist who cut these ones (they were dangerously close to the house) was able to pick them up with his skid steer Bobcat with some type of claw attachment.

/ Suggestions for 2 acre tractor #10  
What Dealers are within 50 miles of you? Moving 2000Lb logs are out of the B range Kubota;s reach