JD 5045D vs MX4700 vs NH WM55

/ JD 5045D vs MX4700 vs NH WM55 #1  

downslope

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF TO-35, Ford(s) 2000, 8N, 9N, White 2-70, NH TD75D, JD 5045D
I am looking to purchase one of these no-frills 2WD tractors. Are they more or less comparable in terms of operating features and reliability? JD seems to be heaviest, Kubota the lightest, with NH in between. Countries of origin India and Japan. Which one to go with, or in same series like 5055D, MX5100? These are the 3 dealers in my nearby area.

/ JD 5045D vs MX4700 vs NH WM55 #2  
Probably depends on your intended uses/tasks....have you sorted that out?

/ JD 5045D vs MX4700 vs NH WM55
Probably depends on your intended uses/tasks....have you sorted that out?
Use on a small vegetable farm. Cultivating, planting, spreading lime and fertilizer, small 3-pt disc harrows, sprayer, 3-pt plow once in a while, etc. I have two larger tractors (1 fwd) for heavy tillage and fel use. Basically looking to replace some worn out Ford hundred series and 8N's.

/ JD 5045D vs MX4700 vs NH WM55 #4  
Use on a small vegetable farm. Cultivating, planting, spreading lime and fertilizer, small 3-pt disc harrows, sprayer, 3-pt plow once in a while, etc. I have two larger tractors (1 fwd) for heavy tillage and fel use. Basically looking to replace some worn out Ford hundred series and 8N's.
As you have 4WD covered I'll spare you the discussion about how good it is. All three tractors you are looking at should do what you want and you have bigger backup so don't have to worry about buying too small. That said I think the JD has the better power to weight ratio and can do more actual work for the money. If you sit on each one and drive it around the dealers lot a couple of times I think you will see the one you want.

/ JD 5045D vs MX4700 vs NH WM55
... If you sit on each one and drive it around the dealers lot a couple of times I think you will see the one you want.
I think that's what I'll do, try to drive them around the lot, back and forth, etc, as long as they have one in stock and don't have to bring in from another dealer.

Maybe I should put Mahindra in the mix too. I forgot there's a dealer not to far and Mahindra seems to have a lot of 2WD models in that size range.

/ JD 5045D vs MX4700 vs NH WM55 #6  
I think that's what I'll do, try to drive them around the lot, back and forth, etc, as long as they have one in stock and don't have to bring in from another dealer.

Maybe I should put Mahindra in the mix too. I forgot there's a dealer not to far and Mahindra seems to have a lot of 2WD models in that size range.

Very interested in what you find out. I agree that application is important. Some things I would consider is - the difference between an utility tractor and a compact. Things that might be good to look for are:

-placement of controls - most prefer gear levers to be on the sides, not centre where you trip over them
-straddle versus platform operator station
-ease of effort to move controls
-front axle - take alot of abuse - i do not personally prefer bevel gears.
-brakes - dry vs. wet, mechanical vs. hydraulic
-clutch both on tractor and PTO - dry vs. wet.
-loader - is it a "will fit" or a designed for the tractor loader
-transmission - is it synchro? Is the pattern logical for working applications? Are reverse gear speeds ideal and can you reverse forward and reverse with proper speeds easily
-fuel tank - what is the capacity

/ JD 5045D vs MX4700 vs NH WM55 #7  
For a no frills 2wd tractor, which it appears you won't be using a loader on, why not just find an older work horse 2 wheel drive tractor?

/ JD 5045D vs MX4700 vs NH WM55 #8  
For a no frills 2wd tractor, which it appears you won't be using a loader on, why not just find an older work horse 2 wheel drive tractor?

Did someone call my Massey? 45hp PTO and 4,200lbs....smack in the wheelhouse of the JD and NH mentioned.

null_zps21e01bbf.jpg

/ JD 5045D vs MX4700 vs NH WM55 #9  
Did someone call my Massey? 45hp PTO and 4,200lbs....smack in the wheelhouse of the JD and NH mentioned.

I do like that tractor, and that's kind of what I'm thinking. There's actually a nice used Massey 135 in Michigan on Craigslist now for $4800. If I had a bunch more disposable income, I'd probably have to buy it :D

/ JD 5045D vs MX4700 vs NH WM55 #10  
I'm not familiar with the NH but I would look at the M series Kubota, M5040, as it would be more comparable to the JD.