Looking for new tractor on eastcoast. Diesel, 4x4, HST preferred

/ Looking for new tractor on eastcoast. Diesel, 4x4, HST preferred #1  

PacersDad

Bronze Member
Need reliable tractor. Will trailer between properties. Mostly need to maintain 4 acre coastal property.
Would like long backhoe. Generally looking in southern NH, no sales tax. I would appreciate recommendations of
suitable brands and better dealers.

/ Looking for new tractor on eastcoast. Diesel, 4x4, HST preferred #2  
I'd like to suggest this place off Rt 13 in New Hampshire:

New Boston Truck & Equipment

They sell both Yanmar and Massey Ferguson. I think I got a better deal than other places in the area and they've been really good about getting me parts so I can do the maintenance work and add accessories myself. They also have a great shop if you want to take the tractor to them. Yanmars have a long history and reputation of reliability, the backhoes are made here in the USA.

/ Looking for new tractor on eastcoast. Diesel, 4x4, HST preferred #3  
Too subjective. Sorry cant help.

/ Looking for new tractor on eastcoast. Diesel, 4x4, HST preferred
Katahdin,
I like Yanmar, my Dad had one and MF. I was looking at about 30hp but I'm seeing a price advantage in Kubota to move up to utility size, mx4700 which increases backhoe to 9'. still Pricy though. I know Yanmar has TLB and builds John Deere 110 but again, I'd like extra backhoe without that much expense. Using your link, I see LX HST backhoeis about 8.5'.
I'll have to check them out, I'm interested now in what a non-turbo LX would cost. Thanks.

/ Looking for new tractor on eastcoast. Diesel, 4x4, HST preferred #5  
Katahdin,
I like Yanmar, my Dad had one and MF. I was looking at about 30hp but I'm seeing a price advantage in Kubota to move up to utility size, mx4700 which increases backhoe to 9'. still Pricy though. I know Yanmar has TLB and builds John Deere 110 but again, I'd like extra backhoe without that much expense. Using your link, I see LX HST backhoeis about 8.5'.
I'll have to check them out, I'm interested now in what a non-turbo LX would cost. Thanks.

Just FYI, MX4700 is not a utility size tractor. It would still be considered a compact tractor, though it is on the larger size of the compact line. Almost every brand has a competing tractor in this size capabilities range . There are lots to choose from, so you will be able to find the one that is just right for you.

From Kubota website;

Special Utility 46-68HP
MX4700/MX5100 M5640SU/M7040SU M7040SUH

/ Looking for new tractor on eastcoast. Diesel, 4x4, HST preferred #7  
From Kubota website;

Special Utility 46-68HP
MX4700/MX5100 M5640SU/M7040SU M7040SUH

I could call my Prius a race car ... doesn't make it one.

This has been discussed before, if you look at the size and capabilities of the 4700/5100, it is comparable to, and even out classed in some cases by, the majority of the other brands' tractors of that size and power range, which are all considered CUT's.

I'm not saying anything bad about the 4700/5100, I think they are nice tractors ... I'm just pointing out that it's not what most tractor folks would call "utility" ... and, is not what most manufacturers consider utility either.

Thanks for not adding anything helpful to the thread twice now.

/ Looking for new tractor on eastcoast. Diesel, 4x4, HST preferred #9  
Thanks for not adding anything helpful to the thread twice now.

Ok new guy, trying to help you understand the sizes you're talking about.

Would you care to disclose which (all) dealerships you have within driving distance?

If you are wanting something like a true tractor/loader/backhoe, and you aren't as concerned with having your 3pt readily available, then you should look at the Kubota L35 & L45 (I believe it's the 45) ... they are more commercially geared with stronger loader & hoe than standard tractors, and stronger hydraulics. It will cost more, but will be a better backhoe.

All the brands can be had with an attached backhoe now, and all the brands are good, so in order for us to give you a better review of what we'd recommend, we'd need to know what all options we would have to choose from.

/ Looking for new tractor on eastcoast. Diesel, 4x4, HST preferred #10  
Pacersdad, sorry, but this is often how things wind up here, threads will often take an abrupt turn as the subtleties of an unpredicted topic, which are usually related to the intended topic, but by different degrees, get discussed.

You might start a thread about cutting firewood, and end up talking about the new Ford f150s for example. Not always desirable, but so it goes.

Tso, I agree about the size of the MX. Interestingly, tractor data.com lists the MX as a utility tractor. It also classifies the 8n as one. It doesn't describe the large grand L's as utility tractors, nor the dk or ds 40-50s they are uncategorized. The Massey 1648 is listed as a compact. I think they're all about the same size, right? I don't even think the MX (certainly not the 8n) is the heaviest. So I guess my point is that the term is a little murky. I think the tractors we have could be called "large compacts" or "small utility" tractors. Hopefully, the perfect size for me.

Back to the question, though, they are all good. If you are buying a new tractor, and doing your homework, you should end up with a great machine. Actually tso, who has already contributed here just bought that Massey Ferguson recently. He compiled a great spreadsheet with a number of manufacturers represented. The size he and I have is about the biggest tractor you can find with hst, so it's worth looking at. Search for "apples to apples" once you figure out what you have available in your area, drive a few. Tell us what you think of them and how you like the dealership. Buy the one that suits you. Keep us posted.