Which Tractor

/ Which Tractor #1  

dropingin

Tractor
none
Hey everyone I am new to the forum and have a question or two. I am looking for a tractor to serve as a mower on 3 acres and for a small market garden / 5-10 acre max starting with one acre . There is a good potential for a decent profit . Anyway I am looking at the U.S. refurbished Yanmars with about 24 hp . It seems like a decent little all around tractor -I think but weight seems to be an issue . I like the fact that it will run slow enough to run a tiller , but would it be able to lay plastic with a small mulch layer? I all so found an old Allis Chalmers CA up the road from me for a good price with a 3ph but don't know how that tractor would be with a tiller. The Yanmar has a 1 year warranty and I would go into a little debt . The Allis seems like a potential headache , but can be had for under 2,000.00. Notalgia gets the better of me with the Allis but the thought of major engine trouble or transmission seems like a show stopper. Any advice would be great.

/ Which Tractor #2  
Few Allis-Chalmers have today's industry standard Three Point Hitch. A-C went out of the tractor business about time patents on Ferguson's Three Point Hitch expired.

Yanmar makes excellent diesel tractors. Make sure the Yanmar you are looking at is Four-Wheel-Drive. With Four-Wheel-Drive the Yanmar will have enough power and traction to handle the tasks you have outlined. It would be preferable for it to have HST transmission too, for roto-tilling.

It would encourage further replies if you EDIT in the precise model Yanmar you are considering.

Last edited:
   / Which Tractor #3  
Hey everyone I am new to the forum and have a question or two. I am looking for a tractor to serve as a mower on 3 acres and for a small market garden / 5-10 acre max starting with one acre . There is a good potential for a decent profit . Anyway I am looking at the U.S. refurbished Yanmars with about 24 hp . It seems like a decent little all around tractor -I think but weight seems to be an issue . I like the fact that it will run slow enough to run a tiller , but would it be able to lay plastic with a small mulch layer? I all so found an old Allis Chalmers CA up the road from me for a good price with a 3ph but don't know how that tractor would be with a tiller. The Yanmar has a 1 year warranty and I would go into a little debt . The Allis seems like a potential headache , but can be had for under 2,000.00. Notalgia gets the better of me with the Allis but the thought of major engine trouble or transmission seems like a show stopper. Any advice would be great.

Just wondering what kind of price you have been quoted for the re-furbed Yanmar ?? And does it come with 4x4 and the loader??

/ Which Tractor #4  
I responded to your other post. I want to let you know that it's generally not advised to start identical threads in more than one area. Most members here use the "new post" button up top, so we'll generally see your question wherever you put it.

Good luck in your search.

/ Which Tractor #5  
Few Allis-Chalmers have today's industry standard Three Point Hitch. A-C went out of the tractor business about time patents on Ferguson's Three Point Hitch expired.

I think allis Chalmers made many models with three point hitches. The CA wasn't one of them, though it may have an aftermarket installed or if not, I'm sure there's one available. A-C didn't go out of business in the sixties.

/ Which Tractor
I haven't had an official quote yet but around 5,000 for a YM 2000 and for 4wd about a grand or so more according to Fredericks Equipment, I may go more hp though. The AC has an aftermarket hitch but I think the break down paranoia tells me not to mess with it. Bolt on stuff I can deal with but Transmission work on an old tractor like that has to be a huge ordeal-for me anyway. The Farmalls are really cool but , again seem like a potential problem .I would at least like to get some work in before a major problem . Of course the Yanmar is certainly not new but at least there is a year buffer zone. I do love those old tractors though and would love to own one. I saw a Cub on you tube laying plastic like it was nothing as well as a 24hp Kubota, so I think The Yanmar will handle it. Oh yeah sorry about the double post .I realized that I had posted in the wrong forum as I stated in an edit so I copied and pasted over here. Here is the Allis http://greenville.craigslist.org/grd/4345133058.html Sure is pretty