Hobby CUT Owners

/ Hobby CUT Owners #21  
In the last few years, people have moved toward zero turn mowers due to their increased speed. This has come at the expense of garden tractors that could multitask. The causes people to end up buying a tractor after the chores start adding up. Most people want something nice and shiny to go with their new plot of land. Farmers don't care for the most part. Many farm tractors I see are covered with mud and have their share of dings and scratches.

/ Hobby CUT Owners #22  
You miss the point...but you stepped right on it.

Yes it is a F150. But people so interested in image they buy the Lincoln and not the lowly Ford. Same with this tractor...they would not be caught dead in something TYM...what the **** is that. Now a John Deere that we might look at....after all they did make their lawn mower....you know they have a 455 to mow a yard the size of a postage stamp.

I didn't miss the point, I commented on a different one. You were talking about buyers, I was talking about retailers/manufacturers....which is why I didn't quote anybody. Talking about the consumer is only half of the equation.

History sort of disproves your point about image conscious people buying the Lincoln over the Ford...they stopped selling them after only a few years, and that was because of poor sales.

People who like trucks don't necessarily care about luxury features, and people who care about luxury features don't usually care for the ride/handling/performance of trucks, so they don't buy them. There are some elements of that in the tractor world, but it's not a really good comparison.

Only time will tell if people buy many tractors from Cabela's....and we'll likely never know why they do/don't.

/ Hobby CUT Owners #23  
I think one of the things that make expensive pickups popular is that it can function as a family vehicle in addition to the normal truck stuff. A crew or extended cab lets the truck function like the station wagons did earlier for families. It may also represent a compromise choice, Dad has the utility of a truck and it's something Mom can drive in reasonable comfort. Also, the winters here favor buying a 4x4 pickup.

Expensive, yes but filling a lot of needs with one vehicle.

/ Hobby CUT Owners #24  
Supply and demand determines the market price. For example, a few years ago I bought two Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drills (10 ft wide, 20 drops, single disk openers) from a neighbor for $275. I used the parts to build one drill that I use on my 6-acre hayfield.

Drill-1.JPGDrill-2.JPGDrill-5.jpgDrill-6.JPG

Enterprising individuals take drills like these, cut them in half, replace the steel wheels with rubber tires and sell the 5-ft drills for $1500-2000 on eBay to the food plot enthusiasts, making a nice profit on the sale.

/ Hobby CUT Owners #25  
I didn't miss the point, I commented on a different one. You were talking about buyers, I was talking about retailers/manufacturers....which is why I didn't quote anybody. Talking about the consumer is only half of the equation.

History sort of disproves your point about image conscious people buying the Lincoln over the Ford...they stopped selling them after only a few years, and that was because of poor sales.

People who like trucks don't necessarily care about luxury features, and people who care about luxury features don't usually care for the ride/handling/performance of trucks, so they don't buy them. There are some elements of that in the tractor world, but it's not a really good comparison.

Only time will tell if people buy many tractors from Cabela's....and we'll likely never know why they do/don't.

We are beating this poor dead horse....IMHO customers are the entire part of the equation....without them there is nothing. Navigators took over from the pickup because the truck part of that was totally usless to those that bought them. So now we get this version of the ford and it is still moving along nice thank you very much.

Go to any dealer....I would bet if you want a "work truck" they will have to order it for you. The people that buy trucks do want them fancy....leather, radios that rattle the windows, climate control...that is all you will find on any dealers lot. The cloth bench seat manual trans is a thing that is just not going to be stocked....because it really does not sell.

Like the other poster said trucks are the family car now. And I won't even get into these "hot rod" trucks....I should know a little about that I have a Roush F150. But I did not buy it for that I bought it for a truck....it was totaled, had 70,000 miles and I got it for a song. I pull trailers with it and fill the back with plywood....it never moves unless I need a truck.

/ Hobby CUT Owners #26  
<at the risk of sounding snarky>
I'm a dweller (or a trender, I guess). Lived in a Midwest city, from 15K to 2Mil, until recently - built a home lake-side in an area after farmer developed plots, mine is only 3ac. and the commute is 50 mi each way daily for our city jobs...hopefully that will last only several more years. Kids are gone. We love our place and have worked hard to make it what it is becoming. But it is a work in progress - work that my little tractor makes doable without begging/paying anyone for help (maybe driving prices up across the industry but not too concerned about it; not looking to sell it nor run back to town).
When not putzing around the yard, I'm hunting, training my dogs, fishing or waiting for the grandson to visit (or working at home for my real job). I plow/blow my own snow - generally we get more than our share of it, and mow my own yard, move my own dirt/rock/trees. Don't mind gravel roads, and have learned how to tame them and my 200ft driveway with my scut (have to admit, an asphalt or concrete drive would be nice but it's not yet part of the vision). I owned a push mower forever, but that seemed a little underpowered for this space/terrain, so now I have a Craftsman gt5000 for the grass (praying more grows this summer than last, as it's a little muddy these days). I don't like to use the JD for mowing - too busy with the loader/bb to attach the 62" deck, not a drive-over whiz-bang type (but it still doesn't qualify for 'basic' cuz it's 4wd). Bought it used, could've bought a larger CUT/Utility, but no matter the price difference between them this unit fit the needs best. We're putting in a standby gennie in the next couple of months; while I don't mind stoking the fireplace and lighting a few candles like we did a few weeks ago when it was -40 with the power cut out, I'd rather not have to worry about it (will probably have to hire that out... I don't like the thought of the new house burning down).
We like our little town 15 miles away, where we do our own shopping and even attend church.
I have friends/family with big farm and ranch operations, hunt/fish with them and on other farms. All of them drive a nicer truck than my f250, which is not fancy but pretty nice imho. We've been welcomed both in our little development and with our farming neighbors, unless they just appear that way to our face and talk smack about us behind our backs. Either way, we're here to stay until God has other plans for us.
I do realize that a few comments above were maybe not aimed at us specifically, but they were close enough that I felt prompted to respond on behalf of those I know who've chosen to nibble at the edges of 'country life'. I have nothing but respect for those of you who manage larger operations, and while I wouldn't ever see the need to have a bigger tractor, your conversations on this board have helped me a great deal, even in my world. <rant over>

/ Hobby CUT Owners #27  
A good blend of cheap & smart can save a lot a cash. Im with you all the way. Jack

As far as the used market is concerned, I think the prices are going to rise with the new tier 4 tractors. I read about a $4k increase in some MFG pricing due to the engine. I'm also willing to bet that most people are leery of the tier 4 thing, especially when looking at early models of diesel trucks that use an EGR. I always buy used but in this case I think you're getting a better value buying new before everything is tier 4. Just a guess.

/ Hobby CUT Owners #28  
As far as the used market is concerned, I think the prices are going to rise with the new tier 4 tractors. I read about a $4k increase in some MFG pricing due to the engine. I'm also willing to bet that most people are leery of the tier 4 thing, especially when looking at early models of diesel trucks that use an EGR. I always buy used but in this case I think you're getting a better value buying new before everything is tier 4. Just a guess.

Something seems to be going right over my head. Can someone explain what exactly is tier 4. Thanks Jack

/ Hobby CUT Owners #29  
Something seems to be going right over my head. Can someone explain what exactly is tier 4. Thanks Jack

The new emissions standards are referred to as tier IV. In most cases it employs a Diesel Particulate Filter, which has a lifespan of about 3000 hours. The motors are more complicated than previous generations, and the tractors seem to run about 2-4k more expensive. Search tier 4 on here, tons of info from people who have bought them already. You can still find the previous generation, tier 3 or interim tier 4 on the lot, but not for long.

/ Hobby CUT Owners #30  
The new emissions standards are referred to as tier IV. In most cases it employs a Diesel Particulate Filter, which has a lifespan of about 3000 hours. The motors are more complicated than previous generations, and the tractors seem to run about 2-4k more expensive. Search tier 4 on here, tons of info from people who have bought them already. You can still find the previous generation, tier 3 or interim tier 4 on the lot, but not for long.

Thanks for clearing that up, never heard of it up here in Canada, if its not here already it probably will be soon, not that it matters to me, at 68 I think im on my last tractor as it is only used for bringing in fire wood in the fall & the odd time in the spring & summer around the yard. (45 to 50 year old Universal 445 2wd with FEL.)