Hobby CUT Owners

/ Hobby CUT Owners #1  

jaydee325

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere X584 Garden Tractor & LS R3039H
I've seen reference to this in a couple other threads. Specifically, it has been speculated that Cabela's marketing to essentially hobby tractor owners is the backbone of their business model. And this is allowing them to command a premium in their pricing.

What this brings to mind is another "utility" vehicle. That would be pickup trucks. I remember back in the 60's, pickups were used to haul stuff. They could be bought for less than most cars. Then the "hobbyist" started bying them in droves and the price went up accordingly.

I hope this does not happen with tractors. They have historically been utility in nature like trucks were. The farmer used them to grow food for himself and his neighbors and made a profit. So, pricing was self limiting since farmers are generally on tight margins.

If the market strategy towards hobbyists works, does this mean tractor price inflation?:eek:

By the way, I'm a hobby CUT owner so I'm not knocking anyones motive for buying a tractor. The tie between pickups and tractors just seemed obvious. Or maybe not. What do you think?

Bob

/ Hobby CUT Owners #2  
That's why they make so many models in the same size and horsepower. You can buy a 47 HP Kubota for 25k. Or you can buy a spend 40k for the grand l model. You can spend more on a b than a small m if you want.

Most farmers don't use tractors this small anyway. There's some use for the large utilities but most ag tractors are 140hp+.

Vegetable farmers like myself, though, use these tractors quite a bit. We are glad they make bare bones models. Honestly, though they could be designed better with vegetable production in mind. If a few manufacturers made a offset cultivating tractor, they'd be a hot item. Mostly though, I think that for the price, 20k can get you a pretty capable machine. I'd rather put my money in a new cut than a new pickup.

/ Hobby CUT Owners #3  
I think you can order a plain jane pickup that would be similar in price to 40-50 years ago plus inflation.

Hardly anyone buys trucks with a std. cab, 2WD, 8' bed, AC and radio though. If you are selling a used one for a fair price, you'll be lucky to get a call. There are many (most?) models that don't offer a std. transmission in pickups anymore.

Deere, Kubota and NH all have CUT/small utility tractor model lines that are more or less bare bones. Those are relatively new offerings, so there must be a market for that type of machine. A base 2WD Deere 50xx model is not very expensive, for example.

/ Hobby CUT Owners #4  
It is already happening. Sure bare bones models are available for the working man, but the hobby market has suspension seats, tilt steering, fancy stereo and air in cab models (usually slightly above hobby pricing, but still) extendable 3pt arms, pin type sway control arms, hydraulic top'n'tilt, backhoes built-in to little tiny units, CUP HOLDERS!, the list goes on.

Ya don't need a lot of these options to make your tractor work - but people ask for it and the market delivers. For a price.

Honestly, what working man needs a vanity brush guard?
th.jpg

Last edited:
   / Hobby CUT Owners #5  
I'm hoping this eventually leads to a healthy used market. I only buy used equipment.

Yes I'm cheap! :D

Joe

/ Hobby CUT Owners #6  
I've seen reference to this in a couple other threads. Specifically, it has been speculated that Cabela's marketing to essentially hobby tractor owners is the backbone of their business model. And this is allowing them to command a premium in their pricing.
... so then they are selling all the other stuff in the store to hobby hunters, hobby trappers and hobby fishers? I'm sure a WWII surplus bolt action 30-06 with a peep sight can take down a deer as well as any so called "hunting rifle". I understand the argument, but I don't buy it. Just because people pay more money for something, you can't assume they are any less capable or qualified in using it. If that were the case, then 90% of the pick up trucks sold in this country are just hobby trucks.

/ Hobby CUT Owners #7  
I honestly think In, my opinion that sub-compact and compact tractors are getting way to expensive for what your getting. Like others said you are paying for features. I just don't understand how you can pay as much or more for a tractor that weighs much less and is not near as capable as the bigger (Utility)machines. I often see on here guys buy compacts or sub compacts and then bump up to a Utility tractor because they find out the machine is not as capable as they thought. Don't get me wrong they have there place but in my opinion price should reflect size just like on the bigger machines. You wont find a new 100hp tractor selling for as much or more than a 300hp tractor.

/ Hobby CUT Owners #8  
If that were the case, then 90% of the pick up trucks sold in this country are just hobby trucks.

I hate to tell you this but they are....just like very few Jeeps go off road.

But in the case of cabelas I think they are going to miss the mark by a large part. I can only say from my own personal observations.....I live in the country....a small spot of land 13ac. Down the road from me we have a group of people that we all call the sub-division dwellers. These are houses all close together on 5ac plots. These are occupied by people that want to live in the country. Some have horses (for a while) some have large tractors, some have gardens, most are gone in a year....as in selling and moving back to the "city". Why....well heck I don't see how you do it...driving so far every day and gas is $3.50 a gal?...and you are so far away from the grocery store...my wife has to drive an hour to get to the mall....I have to haul the kids an hour for soccer practice....to the movies.....on and on.... Why do you stay. Me. I love it here.... They say....but it is SO MUCH WORK.....and on it goes.

Those people are the ones that are going to be buying the cabelas tractor...then selling it when they move back to town. And trying to sell me their **** horses....I hate horses.

It is easy to have that pickup truck...look at a new one. They are more car like and ride more like a car with each model year. When I left GM in the 80's no one saw this coming. But now we have Lincoln pickup trucks.

Those with the Lincoln pickups are the ones buying the Cabelas tractors (for the most part.)