3020 to buy or not to buy??

/ 3020 to buy or not to buy?? #1  

mrjata

Tractor
4020/2010
Been over working my 2010 with my baler and have been looking for a 3020. Found one with power shift, which I prefer and it comes with a repaired Farmhand F11 loader. The tach says 1300 (1286) hours, sounds fishy to me. He wants $8500 for loader and tractor. What do you think?

photo 5 .JPGphoto 3.JPG

/ 3020 to buy or not to buy?? #2  
Sounds like a good deal considering the hours and the loader (and hey, wheel weights). Assuming the hours are right. And the machine isn't a lemon. Still, not getting ripped off unless there's something significantly wrong with it I don't think.

/ 3020 to buy or not to buy??
Sounds like a good deal considering the hours and the loader (and hey, wheel weights). Assuming the hours are right. And the machine isn't a lemon. Still, not getting ripped off unless there's something significantly wrong with it I don't think.

What I thought too. Problem is, I have no way to get it home, almost 200 miles. I think the dealership wants $4 a mile to deliver it. If all pans out, I would like to have this one, but money dictates. I know it will hold its value. My 4020 is worth more than double it paid for it. guess I can average tractor prices to feel better, (stole that one, pay for this one?)

What all should I look for? My 4020 is ps so I have ideas but am open to others.

Thanks for the reply
photo 2.JPGphoto 6).JPG

/ 3020 to buy or not to buy?? #4  
I would check trans operation at operating temp. in all 8 fwd & 4 rev speeds. I seriously doubt the tractor only has 1286 hrs of service. Tach's will start over after 10,000 hrs plus tractors have been known to run for many hrs after tach cable broken. Check for wear on drawbar & support plus wear on 3 pt hitch balls. Also look for wear on clutch & break pedals. I think all things equal(equal hrs) a PS clutch pedal will be worn less than a SR trans clutch pedal.

/ 3020 to buy or not to buy?? #5  
The number of hours is highly suspect for tractor built back in the 60's. The hourmeter may have turn over the 10,000 hour mark and started over. It looks like a gasser so expect high hourly costs (5 to 6 gal/hour under load). A loader and powershift are a nice combination, but the loader puts additional strain on that transmission. Should it require repairs the cost of the tractor could double. I'd have a trusted mechanic look at it before I paid that much for a very old tractor. The Farmhand F11 loader was not one of their best.

/ 3020 to buy or not to buy?? #6  
I agree with the others that the hours are suspect. If it were me I would ignore the hour meter altogether, look at the tractor's overall condition and as Jim mentions look for the signs of wear. Might be a reasonable tractor to consider but don't buy a pig in a poke.

/ 3020 to buy or not to buy?? #7  
I always loved the 3020 that I used mostly for haying for years. Ours was gas powered and did have very high upkeep/repair costs the last 5 or 6 years we had it. Did get a good price to sell it but for a dependable high use tractor we were glad to move it on.

/ 3020 to buy or not to buy?? #8  
I agree with all of the above posts but I would encourage you to be sure and operate it under load....with some ground engaging equipment...that will tell you a lot...& it's well worth paying a tractor mechanic to give it a close look over....Yes hours are suspect...especially for a tractor of that size and HP...Good Luck....I love mine..

/ 3020 to buy or not to buy??
Just got off the phone with the owner. Told me of the history, and yes he confirmed the 1200 hours are actual hours. The owner told me that he bought it from an old guy who got it new and used it as a little "piddle" tractor around his ranch. the current owner got it from the estate after he passed. Trading it in on a NEW one. We talked in length, he said he would tell me truth since he had no reason to lie to me, it was the dealer's tractor now. Guess I am going on a road trip later in the week, 4 hours one way, WOOF! Now to find a way to get it home if I buy it.

thanks for all the input. I will post pictures if I buy it if you all want me to.

/ 3020 to buy or not to buy?? #10  
those suckers are heavy! wheel weights, loader, maybe filled tires? Looking at up around 10k lbs I would think. I hope everything checks out the way the current owner is saying- I still think you're getting a great deal if it's all even remotely true.