American made tractors?

/ American made tractors? #1  

tman1020

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat ct225 and Bad Boy zero turn
Well is there any truly made in USA tractors under 40 hp any more? Not just assembled here. Probably not. So then , what's the next best thing, here's what I think I know: ford/ new holland made by L/S. In South Korea I think, john Deere lots of Yanmar stuff ( japan) I'm suspecting many models full of china parts but assembled here. Cub, I lost track I think they have several different imports that have made there's. Farm pro/jimma-china. Kubota - Japan. Bobcat/kioti South Korea (however there is a lot of us parts on the bobcat; loader,tires,wheels). Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken. My intent is not to offend just looking for knowledge. I love all these tractors and have had some of them. Just thought it would be nice to know where they stack up especially sense we all have pretty good idea where they fall price wise.

/ American made tractors? #2  
These days, John Deere makes most of their own CUT's. The 3 models in the 2xxx series are made completely by yanmar. I think the 3005, and the 4005 are also made by Yanmar. The rest are made by John Deere in the US. They all have Yanmar engines. There are parts sourced from all over as you said. My 4720 has a John Deere engine, a Saur/Danfoss tranny, and a Spicer front axle. There are many parts made in the US, Canada, and Mexico. I still think John Deere is the closest to an american made CUT that you can get, albiet North American.

/ American made tractors? #3  
Ah the arrogance of Americanism.... In the 80s JD wouldn't admit that Yanmar made motors for them. Then guess what? Every one found out that Yanmar makes a **** of a diesel and has been doing so for a very long time. Now JD sees "Yanmar diesel" as a marketing point and touts it in all their literature. Sadly there aren't any small diesel made in the USA, so anything your looking for is going to made somewhere else. doesn't make it bad but there is some crap out there.

/ American made tractors? #4  
Ah the arrogance of Americanism.... In the 80s JD wouldn't admit that Yanmar made motors for them. Then guess what? Every one found out that Yanmar makes a **** of a diesel and has been doing so for a very long time. Now JD sees "Yanmar diesel" as a marketing point and touts it in all their literature. Sadly there aren't any small diesel made in the USA, so anything your looking for is going to made somewhere else. doesn't make it bad but there is some crap out there.
I sure do like my 2 Yanmar engines in my x748, and 997, but I also like my John Deere Powertech in my 4720. As a result of tier 4, John Deere is puting Yanmars in the new 4000 series (and skidsteers) instead of the Powertech, I kinda hate to see it go.
We all have an idea where we think things should be made...but the world is changing.

/ American made tractors? #5  
Our 1968 Ford 5100 had parts stamped "Made in England". No such thing as a 100% made in US anything, and hasn't been for a long time.

/ American made tractors?
Definitely can't argue with Yanmar being one of the best diesel engine makers out there. But it is refreshing to hear that John Deere is using a lot of US parts also. I don't question that some of the foreign makers have high-quality products I just worry for the future of our country if we continue to lose quality local production. But that's a whole different conversation. I just hate it when a company sends production out of country to save money and then still charges premium prices especially without clear disclosure. I have no problem with foreign product competing in the marketplace I just don't like being tricked into thinking that I'm getting an American product when I may not be. If there is a savings to be had by purchasing import I would like for it to go into my pocket not some corporate executives for coming up with a idea to save costs for his company.

/ American made tractors? #7  
Well is there any truly made in USA tractors under 40 hp any more?

I speculate Power Trac brand tractors may have as high domestic content as any.

POWER TRAC LINK:

Products

However, Power Tracs are a loader/tractor hybrid, rather than a tractor with the focus on PULLING.

/ American made tractors? #8  
I bought a JD 4120 (little brother of the 4720, with all the same specs, except hp-fuel pressure and hood decals), new, 10 years ago. At that time, "Country of origin" was important to me, but did not play the main role in my purchase. What hooked me on the JD, was it's greater performance in all categories (hydraulic flow, lift capacity, loader lift height, etc.), than comparable Kubota (GL4300), and NH (something40) machines. What set the hook, was a lower price I got on the JD, compared to those (2). What landed me, was the "Country of origin".

I really like that American-made JD Powertech engine, and I am sad to see them go, thanks to "Tier 4". 10 years ago, that 43 hp was the the smallest tractor you could buy, with an American-made engine, and assembled in the USA (Georgia) with mostly American parts. Does anybody know, how low that limit is today (make/model)? Also, other than a starter that failed after 4 years, and a battery that I just replaced this year, that JD 4120 has been trouble free. I must say that I am very pleased with my purchase.

That tractor will likely serve my grandkids well someday, as my granddad's old, 1951 JD model M has served me (still running strong). I have to say that, based on my experiences with these (2) machines, my blood pretty much runs green today. However, my favorite tractor of all time remains the 1951, and 1952, Ford model 8N's (my own, first-ever, tractor purchase). Too bad that manufacturer went belly-up a long time ago. At least I got my one-owner, 1951 8N, while the gettin was good.

/ American made tractors?
Man that is great to hear makes me want one.

/ American made tractors? #10  
Kubota BX, RTV, GR, T, ZD, ZG Loaders, Backhoes, Mowers are all built here to a large extent. Also exported to europe from here. Engines and trans comes in from Japan, but the rest is done here. Std L, M, TLB are just assembled.

KMA employee's about 1200 people. Not sure about KIE.