Forks comparison

/ Forks comparison #1  

spindlewood

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST Cab
I've just placed an order for a Kioti DK40 SE HST Cab. The dealer quoted for the Rankin forks which are 42" and rated at 2250 lbs for $799.

Idaho Implement sells two I can pick up (no shipping):
48" 3,700 lbs. Edge Skid Steer Pallet Forks - $643.56

48" 5,500 lbs. Heavy Duty Skid Steer Pallet Forks Model 1PFHL48 - $756.09 (looks like it is by X-TREME DUTY)

Unless the Rankin has some hidden advantage I am unaware of, it seems one of the Idaho Implement forks would give a lot more bang for the buck.

My uses: lifting logs onto a trailer, moving pallet boxes of dirt and manure, etc. never used pallet forks. I'm presuming the 48" would be more versatile than the 42" for giving more stability when lifting logs. Which model would you recommend for my uses?

/ Forks comparison #2  
I have 48" forks rated for around 5K on my LS, and that's what I would want on a DK40SE as well. I like having forks that can handle roughly the max FEL lift capacity per tine in case I'm trying to lift something near max weight, and the entire load (or most) is accidentally transferred to only one side....won't bend/break anything.

/ Forks comparison
I have 48" forks rated for around 5K on my LS, and that's what I would want on a DK40SE as well. I like having forks that can handle roughly the max FEL lift capacity per tine in case I'm trying to lift something near max weight, and the entire load (or most) is accidentally transferred to only one side....won't bend/break anything.

I hadn't considered the possibility of weight shifting - good point.

Idaho Tractor doesn't include shipping on the models I linked to. Erroneous presumption on my part that I could pick up at their location for free. But they do have the 48" 4,000 lbs. model in stock for $785 - and I will go with it. Thanks for the input.

/ Forks comparison #4  
I hadn't considered the possibility of weight shifting - good point.

Idaho Tractor doesn't include shipping on the models I linked to. Erroneous presumption on my part that I could pick up at their location for free. But they do have the 48" 4,000 lbs. model in stock for $785 - and I will go with it. Thanks for the input.

Those should do a good job. With smaller machines many folks are worried about giving up too much lift capacity due to heavier forks, but your DK has a lot more capacity than most!

/ Forks comparison #5  
I'm 99% sure that the ones you said are made by x -treme duty are actually construction attachment brand forks. They are what I have and I'm very happy with them. They make a version that's rated for 4000lbs too. It's the same carriage with different tine blades. Should be a bit cheaper if the dealer can get them. Either way, those are what I'd go for.

/ Forks comparison
I'm 99% sure that the ones you said are made by x -treme duty are actually construction attachment brand forks. They are what I have and I'm very happy with them. They make a version that's rated for 4000lbs too. It's the same carriage with different tine blades. Should be a bit cheaper if the dealer can get them. Either way, those are what I'd go for.

You certainly could be right. I found the Construction Attachment website here. Can't tell if Construction Attachment makes it or if both they and Idaho Implement are simply selling it. It's stamped with X-treme Duty on it.

Yes, the 4000 lbs model is what I'm going for. Thanks for the recommendation.