Tractor Sizing shipping overseas in shipping container

/ shipping overseas in shipping container #1  

bobwright

Tractor
kubota 2850
Hi All,
I am new here- brand new in fact as I have been trying to research sizes of tractors on the web and found this forum. MY name is Bob Wright and I work in Uganda for the Presbyterian Church as the construction and maintenance manager of a rural mission station where we run a medical clinic, drill water wells and farm. We have been asked by some Korean friends to greatly expand our farming project to grow sesame seed for export and I am trying to purchase 3 100hp+ tractors and a couple of backhoes to send over here. I have located several used tractors in the US and need to know how wide they are to see if they can fit inside of a shipping container. We can take the cabins off, fenders, tires, etc. as necessary but I do not wantto purchase a tractor which cannot be shipped in a container. The inside dimension of the container is 92" across.

Is there a place which would list the sizes of for example a JohnDeere 4240s, 4040S, etc.

Thanks for your help.
Bob Wright

/ shipping overseas in shipping container #4  
You would likely get more utility by buying three NEW tractors of one brand so that your mechanics can learn one set of maintenance routines and so you can buy parts more often in consolidated orders.

New tractors are shipped to dealers in parts; chassis, wheels/tires, loader, etc in a truck container, which is normally the same size as a shipping container. The pieces are already "packed" for shipment and you would have much less problem doing final assembly from this base. I am sure some dealer would sell to you at cost or nearly at cost.

You certainly do not want tractors with a mix of metric and Sterling threads.

While I do not know your situation I would think one tractor with a front end loader and two without would probably work fine and be less money.

/ shipping overseas in shipping container
Hi, Thanks for your suggestion. I would love to do what you are suggesting- we just do not have the funding to make this happen. If the project goes well we will be bringing in more equipment- but we would need to generate the funds form the work to be able to do so. In the meantime bringing in used equipment is much more economical than trying to source it here- new or used.

I also agree with your assessment- one with a loader and two without. We could even do without the loader completely if it makes sense with the equipment that is available.

We already have the mix of metric and SAE as Uganda was a British protectorate- we just deal with it.

Thanks again for your help.

/ shipping overseas in shipping container
Thanks for your help- I have used this site many times just trying to figure out hp, etc. but they often do not have the dimensions of the tractors. There is a lot of useful information, though.

Thanks for your help!

/ shipping overseas in shipping container #7  
bobwright
One thing to consider on JD 30,40,50 & 55 series rowcrop tractors spec's as to fitting in a 92" wide shipping container is rear axle length. 1st list is 4230,2nd list is for 40 series IE 4240

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 139
   / shipping overseas in shipping container #8  
Welcome from Wisconsin,good luck