Logging with tractor and winch ?

/ Logging with tractor and winch ?
Thanks for the link to that site Andy, lots of good info.
I used to drive a tractor/winch combo in the woods for a friend of mine comercially (until it burnt with no insurance one night). It was around 70 HP but I can't remember exactly. I'll try to post a picture of it someday.
It was an Igland winch.
We used to winch one log in at a time and hook the chain in the slot and then winch the next one until we had 5 or 6 on board. Worked pretty good but I see now you can get those sliding keyholes and haul in all 6 at once like a skidder would do. Does this work very well ? Seems to me it would tend to pull the tractor backwards winching in that many at once, unless of course they are really small.

/ Logging with tractor and winch ? #12  
Are you doing this commercially? For personal use I find the smaller tractors do less damage to the trees I'm not harvesting at any particular time. It is suprising just how large a log you can skid with a small tractor.

/ Logging with tractor and winch ?
Yeah, part time comercial but possibly more in the future.

/ Logging with tractor and winch ? #14  
I log with a Norse 450 winch and a Kioti DK 55 tractor. A very nice combination to work with. I cut pine last week the biggest was 42" on the butt and was able to get out 20' logs, one at a time . Firewood is not problem with multiple logs per hitch. Looked into Holder Tractors but the price tag is prohibited . Used to use a 35 h.p Kioti but could not get myself out of trouble or snake out any real sized logs. I would say 55h.p minimum.

/ Logging with tractor and winch ? #15  
My DS4510 (45HP) Kioti has plenty of power for hauling a couple of 25" logs 30 feet long, but it has a manual shuttle transmission. On level ground these logs pull in 6/8 gear. Hydrostatic transmissions will absorb at least 20% of your horsepower in my experience, despite what many people say, so that is definitely a consideration in selecting your HP.

Also if you have mountains to contend with, more HP may be required. I've loaded all 4 Kioti tires (ag tires are a must) because "traction" may be as much of a factor as HP and this improves "stability" also. But I'm a hobby firewood cutter - 15-20 cords per year (skidding from a mile back in the woods). Commercially a 65 HP tractor (with manual transmission) would surely pay for itself.

/ Logging with tractor and winch ? #17  
LOL Ductape, I didn't realize the thread was so old until I got to your post!!

Last edited:
   / Logging with tractor and winch ? #18  
Better late than never - LOL

/ Logging with tractor and winch ? #19  
I have a 28hp Ford 1720 and recently had the opportunity to borrow a Farmi 601 winch. All I can say is WOW! Even though my Ford is far smaller than recommended I'm astonished @ what I can pull with that winch on my small tractor.
I have pulled 20" Maples with it.
I do not have the power/weight to hitch & drag a log with the butt off the ground but I can drive out & winch the log to me.
If I had known how this tool enhances the capabilities of my tractor I would have had my own years ago!

Last edited:
   / Logging with tractor and winch ? #20  
I log with a Norse 450 winch and a Kioti DK 55 tractor. A very nice combination to work with. I cut pine last week the biggest was 42" on the butt and was able to get out 20' logs, one at a time . Firewood is not problem with multiple logs per hitch. Looked into Holder Tractors but the price tag is prohibited . Used to use a 35 h.p Kioti but could not get myself out of trouble or snake out any real sized logs. I would say 55h.p minimum.

Almost the same setup as me. dk45hp with norse 450 winch. Lots of snatch blocks, chocker chains etc. It came with as few chains which had an 8"x1/4" rod attached to the end. This allowed you to push the rod under the tree butt to pull the chain through. Very handy. I made up a bunch more chains and added longer rods.

I've pulled some big stuff with this set up. One of the things we do is sharpen the butt with the chainsaw before pulling - it lessens the change of getting hung-up.

Play safe!