Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Kioti DK551C

Dr. Emmett Brown: [reads the "Save the Clock Tower" flyer and reacts with hope] This is it! This is the answer. It says here that a bolt of lightning is going to strike the clock tower at precisely 10:04 p.m. next Saturday night! If... If we could somehow harness this lightning... channel it into the flux capacitor... it just might work. Next Saturday night, we're sending you back to the future!.............

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HSTC, MF 5455

Default Re: Logging with tractor and winch ?

Ah well I may as well update as well! The neighbours setup was a Fransgard winch and the 65 hp tractor was actually an 85 hp (NH7740 not the 6640). He quit logging with 10,000 plus hours on the tractor.

I too did a bunch of logging with a Farmi winch, I had a JL501 for 5 years. It was great, fantastic piece of equipment. My kubota L5030HSTC could handle 3-4 trees at a time, 60 ft tall softwoods, always pulled from the top and always working in snow. Despite the comments by Garcon the hst was never an issue, you don't use much hp logging. The winch is used at idle, and pulling logs, even with chains on you don't have enough traction to pull hard. Maybe if logging in the summer and you could get some traction, but we don't cut here unless there is snow to keep the dirt out of the bark as they are getting milled.

Tractor
    Kubota 4740

I have a kubota l4740. It is 47 horse power with a Wallenstine logging winch. I also have a logging trailer. When I am skidding I can twitch out 1/3 of a cord in good going. When using my trail I usually go with 3/4 cord.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-1789371595-jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota 4740

Trying to make a road in soft soils

[QUOTE="gaproperty;3145872"]Past years I have worked on sandy and gravel soils. No sinking no mud. Not the case now. It is a loam type soil and I sink evan when fairly dry. Some clay and lots of soft spots. I am falling smaller trees making a corduroy road. Using branches to travel on. I better get skid plate for my l4740. Anybody ever use geomaterial? Suppose to keep everything afloat and

Tractor
    Kubota B7100HST; Ford 4110

Default Re: Logging with tractor and winch ?

Quote Originally Posted by Madman_Mark View Post
    What size tractor do you guys recomend for part time logging with a tractor and winch ?
    Any less then 50 HP ?
    Any advice, opinions, experiences or things to look out for etc... ?

It isn't the Hp that really counts. It is the tractor weight. Some 50 Hp tractors weigh only about 3500 lb. Some weigh well over 5000#. A front end loader is extremely useful with 4WD not only for traction, but it helps keep the front end on the ground while winching. I wish to get a new tractor and winch myself. I once rented a bulldozer that weighed 15000#, and I had a few logs it could not pull. They were large treetops from a timber harvest. Some branches were more than 18" diameter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123