Logging with tractor and winch ?

/ Logging with tractor and winch ? #21  
Dr. Emmett Brown: [reads the "Save the Clock Tower" flyer and reacts with hope] This is it! This is the answer. It says here that a bolt of lightning is going to strike the clock tower at precisely 10:04 p.m. next Saturday night! If... If we could somehow harness this lightning... channel it into the flux capacitor... it just might work. Next Saturday night, we're sending you back to the future!.............;)

/ Logging with tractor and winch ? #22  
Ah well I may as well update as well! The neighbours setup was a Fransgard winch and the 65 hp tractor was actually an 85 hp (NH7740 not the 6640). He quit logging with 10,000 plus hours on the tractor.

I too did a bunch of logging with a Farmi winch, I had a JL501 for 5 years. It was great, fantastic piece of equipment. My Kubota L5030HSTC could handle 3-4 trees at a time, 60 ft tall softwoods, always pulled from the top and always working in snow. Despite the comments by Garcon the hst was never an issue, you don't use much hp logging. The winch is used at idle, and pulling logs, even with chains on you don't have enough traction to pull hard. Maybe if logging in the summer and you could get some traction, but we don't cut here unless there is snow to keep the dirt out of the bark as they are getting milled.

/ Logging with tractor and winch ? #23  
I have a kubota l4740. It is 47 horse power with a Wallenstine logging winch. I also have a logging trailer. When I am skidding I can twitch out 1/3 of a cord in good going. When using my trail I usually go with 3/4 cord.

Attachments

• image-1789371595.jpg
    image-1789371595.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 408
   / Logging with tractor and winch ? #24  
Trying to make a road in soft soils

Past years I have worked on sandy and gravel soils. No sinking no mud. Not the case now. It is a loam type soil and I sink evan when fairly dry. Some clay and lots of soft spots. I am falling smaller trees making a corduroy road. Using branches to travel on. I better get skid plate for my l4740. Anybody ever use geomaterial? Suppose to keep everything afloat and

/ Logging with tractor and winch ? #25  
What size tractor do you guys recomend for part time logging with a tractor and winch ?
Any less then 50 HP ?
Any advice, opinions, experiences or things to look out for etc... ?

It isn't the Hp that really counts. It is the tractor weight. Some 50 Hp tractors weigh only about 3500 lb. Some weigh well over 5000#. A front end loader is extremely useful with 4WD not only for traction, but it helps keep the front end on the ground while winching. I wish to get a new tractor and winch myself. I once rented a bulldozer that weighed 15000#, and I had a few logs it could not pull. They were large treetops from a timber harvest. Some branches were more than 18" diameter.

/ Logging with tractor and winch ? #26  
It isn't the Hp that really counts. It is the tractor weight. Some 50 Hp tractors weigh only about 3500 lb. Some weigh well over 5000#. A front end loader is extremely useful with 4WD not only for traction, but it helps keep the front end on the ground while winching. I wish to get a new tractor and winch myself. I once rented a bulldozer that weighed 15000#, and I had a few logs it could not pull. They were large treetops from a timber harvest. Some branches were more than 18" diameter.

50 hp are usually heavy enough. Tire valve protectors, and skid plates could save you time and money. A fel is great to keep the tractor from rearing up.

I know guys that used 35 hp and did pretty good with a fel, skid plate. Like the other guy said weigh does help but I say balanced weight is great to. Heavy front end with fel and 4 wheel drive keeps the tractor front wheels on the ground and steers better. Good luck.

/ Logging with tractor and winch ? #27  
Even though it's a thread from the dead -

Depends on terrain, what and how you are logging.

Are you pulling out select hardwoods on steep slopes it's far different than clearcut 30 yr old pine.

Most of my acreage has < 40 year old mixed hardwoods OR < 20 yr old stands of pine. For a long time I will be doing selective logging of the hardwoods.

I figured I needed a tractor which could lift a ton on the 3pt so I could get the logs on my sawmill. That's about 10' long by 20" DBH. If you've got bigger logs you might need more power.

/ Logging with tractor and winch ? #28  
What I hope to buy, if I can swing it: Mahindra 5035 HST, with FEL. This is 49 bare engine Hp, 4WD. With ballasted tires and no rear implement, the weight is a bit over 8400 lb. Add a winch and it might top 9000 lb. That oughta do it for most of my needs. The big timber I will still have professionally logged. I just clean up the tops and downed wood for firewood, and clear the trails. A 4 way bucket on the FEL looks like a really nice option.

/ Logging with tractor and winch ? #29  
good luck finding a 5035 hst. I'd give my left leg to find one now