Weight to HP ratio??

/ Weight to HP ratio?? #1  

ledebuhr1

Bronze Member
Is there an ideal Hp to weight ratio on CUT's?? you might have "not enough" or "too much" power.

thanks

/ Weight to HP ratio?? #2  
What is the best brand of truck? You have to be more specific. What do you want to do? Mow? Loader work? discing? Snowblowing?

My rule is you can't have too much hp or weight until you can't pay for it or can't get it to where you need it.
Ken

/ Weight to HP ratio??
Ill be doing loader work and snow plowing. No mowing.

/ Weight to HP ratio?? #4  
Just doing some quick math, I took the approx weights and engine HP for my tractors, and they turn out like this:

1966 IH cub 14hp / 14xx lbs
NH 1920 33hp/ 3500 lbs
ford 8n 27hp / 2800 lbs
YM 1700 ? 20hp/ 1800 lbs

That is floating about 10 pounds per hp. I've noticed the japanese tractors tend to be a bit 'thinner' and the chinese /korean/indian tend to be 'thicker'.. guess it is due to the metalurgy of the castings.. needing bigger /thicker heavier castings to achieve the strength , etc.

Soundguy

/ Weight to HP ratio??
Soundguy, which of your tractors is the most usefull?? I noticed the NH 1920 had the most HP, but it weighed the most. Do you ever feel it was ever underpowered?

/ Weight to HP ratio?? #6  
Probably the most accurate way to derive this is by doing a calculation along the same line, and calculate the relationship of HP to #/in2 of tire contact.

/ Weight to HP ratio?? #7  
Agriculture industry standard is 90-120 lbs per PTO hp. This is to get the power to the ground.

/ Weight to HP ratio?? #8  
In the ag world we are just learning the new gross horsepower ratings as we had always used PTO horsepower when we talked and the ratings are still using that at the 90 to 120lbs. For lawn work we look for less weight yet. For the work you are descibing more would be ideal but yet the rest of the time if there is any you would feel that it is fat.

/ Weight to HP ratio?? #9  
When I was researching tractors (before buying my JD 4410) I did a number of plots. Here's one that plots Weight vs PTO HP for popular CUTs from Kubota and John Deere.

The data indicates the ratio for both manufacturers is running about 105 lbs per PTO HP.

Attachments

• 343024-WeightPerHP.pdf
    77.7 KB · Views: 332
   / Weight to HP ratio??
Thanks for your chart. I am assuming that PTO hp is the closest to rear wheel hp??

Looks like I might be upgrading to the L4330.