Advice needed: hours of operation

/ Advice needed: hours of operation #1  

TaterinTexas

Tractor
NH 4.75, Case C80, Kubota B2100
I am new to this site and I am hoping you can give me some advice.

I recently inherited the family farm which we have owned since the mid-1800s. It has 180 acres of cultivated land and 150 acres of pasture and wooded land. It is located in North Texas. I don't know what I'm doing but I am trying to learn as fast as I can.

Currently, I lease the cultivated land out to a guy, but he told me he is going to get out of the business in the next year or so, so I'm likely to be plowing and planting soon (Lord help me find someone with a combine). We generally grow wheat or grain sorghum on the cultivated land. The pasture land is planted with Coastal Bermuda, and needs to be mowed regularly. If I had the equipment, I could probably cut and bale it. There is always clean up work to do on the place, such as removing fallen trees, etc. So, I need a good utility tractor.

Now for the tractor part. I currently have a 1998 Case C80, 4WD, front end loader. No cab. This tractor is kicking my butt. I have always had problems getting it to start...I'll waste half my weekend day trying to get it to start sometimes. The hydraulics for the front end loader are leaking like crazy. And, candidly, mowing pastures in July in Texas without an air conditioned cab is whipping me.

So, I am in the market for a new or gently used tractor. I am not wed to Case, but I do not want to spend the $$$ for a JD. The prices on new tractors shocked me, so I am considering going to a tractor auction and trying my luck there. Here is where I need the advice...

What is considered "a lot " of hours for a used tractor? I understand that hours alone don't tell the full story, because just like with the car, how well-maintained the vehicle has been is important, whether the tractor has been kept under a roof or parked outside, what kind of work has it been used for, did the prior owner "baby" it or abuse it, etc.

Still, I don't know how many hours are expected in the "life" of a normal tractor. When I go to the auction, I will obviously inspect anything I intend to bid on very closely. Nevertheless, I would like to know your thoughts on how ours relate to how "used" a tractor is. I get that this is a very general question and has a lot of variables to consider, but any advice is appreciated.

/ Advice needed: hours of operation #2  
It really depends. A compact tractor (which I dont think your looking for) over 800 is a well used one. On a farm tractor over 5,000hrs, is a bit much, but not horrible. But you can have a machine with 8,000 hours that runs like new, or a machine with a 1,000 hours that is in horrible condition. It really depends on the machine. An older Deere 5000 series is a great tractor. I have a 5210.

/ Advice needed: hours of operation #3  
Trust your impression on overall condition. The appearance often reflects the maintenance and severity of service. The bigger the tractor the more likely it's built to last. I saw a JD 4440 this weekend with over 10,000 hours and no major work.

/ Advice needed: hours of operation #4  
I have to ask. Did you really Price a Deere or just guess?
I personally never trust a used tractor that's been painted. My opinion is you wouldn't paint a tractor that was in good shape for the fun of it.
Look at the pedals for wear. Hard to work a tractor a lot without wearing the pedals pretty good. Hours are just a guessing game. If they start and run good , feel pretty tight and are comfortable that's all that matters.

/ Advice needed: hours of operation #5  
Why do you want to mow the coastal bermuda? Find someone nearby who is cutting and baling their coastal and offer to let them cut and bale yours "on the halves." I.e., if it produces 50 bales, they take 25 and you keep 25.

A lot of people in our area do that. Good quality coastal round bales seem to be going for $75+/- per bale. So, it has value and the proceeds can help defray some of your tractor costs. Don't throw it away by mowing it.

/ Advice needed: hours of operation #6  
TaterinTexas
Amount of hours of use on tractor depends on what type maintenance the tractor has received through out it's life. If I get any rain I will custom bale with my JD 4255 that has over 10,750 hrs on the meter. If I was looking to purchase a used tractor I would choose Craigslist over an equipment auction. Some tractors that end up at auctions have "problems". There are a lot of cab tractors for sale on the DFW Craigslist.