Buying Advice Downgrading / downsizing

/ Downgrading / downsizing #1  

donovansn585

So I have a question to ask everyone I am having a decisions making issue. I currently own a kubota l4610 with bucket, farmi winch, rototiller and cab. The only thing I use it for is tilling and snow removal. I also own a husqvarna zero turn for mowing its a commercial model. I have someone that wants to buy my l4610. Oh ya forgot to tell you all I only have two acres of land and no trees. I'm thinking about selling my zero and my l4610 and buying a bx23 kubota with a backhoe, bucket, snowblower and mower deck. I guess what I'm looking for is advice on if I would like mowing with the bx vs the zero and how disappointed I would be with the size downgrade.

/ Downgrading / downsizing #2  
While I've never actually cut grass with a SCUT, I've cut grass with pretty much everything else out there. I've used walk behinds, push mowers, garden tractors, front commercial mowers, and ZTR's. I prefer cutting on the ZTR personally. However, with only two total acres, I'm sure you could get by with the SCUT. From what I've read on here the cut quality is comparable, and what you are really sacrificing is maneuverability and efficiency... but again, on only two acres, that might not be an issue.

Tilling will of course take a bit longer, and my only other concern would be if you have enough horsepower to run a snow blower, as I can't see a SCUT pushing heavy snow around.

/ Downgrading / downsizing #3  
Your age may figure in to this too. If you know you won't have any future needs for the larger tractor and are retired then down sizing may work. The cab is another issue, having one for winter snow removal and other work is preferable when you get older. You will be out in the cold longer clearing snow on a sub compact too.

As I see it your zero turn works well for the mowing and the l4610 will do everything else better than the subcompact. I don't think you will be happy with the limited abilities of a BX and I suspect you won't be saving any money either. Not sure I see any advantages in this trade. I currently have a garden tractor, a tlb and a compact tractor so I have a good idea of the limitations of each. Most of the time the garden tractor will handle all of my lawn work but there are times I need the larger capacity of a compact tractor too. Since your tractor is over 10 years old its value should hold steady while a new unit will drop in value.