Kubota B3350HSD and mid mount mower

/ Kubota B3350HSD and mid mount mower #1  

prs

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 650, Ventrac 4500Z AJ02248
My first post here. My Deere 650 compact is getting long in the tooth with regular use since 1982, although it runs well excepting the charging system that was never much good. I have been "shopping" for a few years, but have found nothing that appears to be as foot sure on these WV hills as is the 650 with those wide/low Pillowdia Bridgestone tires. Besides mountain goat sure footedness, my list of needs/wants includes more power, wider mower deck (current is 60") independent PTO, powder steering, and wet brakes. I recently noticed the new model B3350 and its lesser powered twin the B2650HSD both with ROPS instead of cap. I have asked for quotes from 3 dealers so far and have received two, the best of which is 22 grand for the 33 horse and 18.5 grand for the 26 horse unit either including the 72" mid mount, grill guard, telescope lower link, ratchet adjusting lift link, and two front weights. Of course, after 32 years of development, this new model is a lot more sophisticated than the 650 just as the 650 outperformed my old 9N Ford. Any comments or advice, or even warnings?

prs

/ Kubota B3350HSD and mid mount mower #2  
The new Bxx50 models are very nice and have a real nice combination of features. They would certainly be on my list if shopping for tractors of that size.

/ Kubota B3350HSD and mid mount mower #3  
Just wondering if you ever pulled the trigger on either the b2650 or the b3350 with the 72 inch mower deck. I have been considering the same setup. I currently have a a BX2350 with a 60 inch deck that we use to mow a 1 acre yard and 1.5 acres of pasture. I also have a MX5000DT with a Woods BB720 rotary cutter that I use for larger pastures and general brush clearing. When I started out ten years ago, most of the land was rough, but after years of keeping it under control, there are about 3 additional acres that I could cut with the BX2350. I was thinking about trading in the BX2350 for either the B2650 or the B3350 (both with the 72 inch deck). This way I could have an extra 12 inches over the current 60 inch deck on the BX2350. I also think the larger tire size and ground clearance will give it an advantage over the BX2350 since there are still some ruts and rough spots on the 3 additional acres.
Did either of the dealers have any concerns with trying to run the 72 inch deck with the B2650. My gut tells me (at least for the kind of mowing I will be doing) that the extra HP of the B3350 would be a better choice.
Thanks,
Jeff

/ Kubota B3350HSD and mid mount mower
No, I have yet to purchase. Both dealers agreed with my assumption and yours that the higher HP would better handle the wider mower. One dealer was negative about the 72" deck saying his customers who have it on other models complain of scalping. But my little JD 650 handles the 60" quite well and losing the extra width would sort of kill the deal for me. I have been busy and have not had time to follow-up recently.

prs

Just wondering if you ever pulled the trigger on either the b2650 or the b3350 with the 72 inch mower deck. I have been considering the same setup. I currently have a a BX2350 with a 60 inch deck that we use to mow a 1 acre yard and 1.5 acres of pasture. I also have a MX5000DT with a Woods BB720 rotary cutter that I use for larger pastures and general brush clearing. When I started out ten years ago, most of the land was rough, but after years of keeping it under control, there are about 3 additional acres that I could cut with the BX2350. I was thinking about trading in the BX2350 for either the B2650 or the B3350 (both with the 72 inch deck). This way I could have an extra 12 inches over the current 60 inch deck on the BX2350. I also think the larger tire size and ground clearance will give it an advantage over the BX2350 since there are still some ruts and rough spots on the 3 additional acres.
Did either of the dealers have any concerns with trying to run the 72 inch deck with the B2650. My gut tells me (at least for the kind of mowing I will be doing) that the extra HP of the B3350 would be a better choice.
Thanks,
Jeff

/ Kubota B3350HSD and mid mount mower #5  
If you have any hills at all I would seriously consider the larger machine especially with the 72" mower. The 72" will scalp if the property is not smooth, but if it is, you will really appreciate the width. I have plenty of flat areas and a 72' really speeds up my mowing time. The B3350 is a really nice machine.

I gots hills galore. You would NOT believe the slopes I operate on. Only rolled a tractor once. That IS a concern to me with this B3350 being higher up than my JD 650 with those low profile and WIDE Pillow-Dia tires with ballast. Such a concern that I am going to keep the old JD 650 until I am sure the new machine will safely meet the need.

About the Kubota description of the 72"mower, well, even the 60" center mount. The online literature remarks that the height setting for their mowers is adjusted by setting the height of the mower's wheels. On other center mount mowers, I do set the mower's wheels to ride about 1/2" above a smooth hard floor when the mower is supported by the rocker arm hydraulics (3 point hitch level). If the mower wheels support the mower, it seems like they would constantly be wearing out. Heck, I've replaced mine three times since 1982 even with the little wear they get riding with little to no weight on them, just turning mostly by contact with the grass and bumps and such. I guess I need to take that question to the Kubota forum.

prs

/ Kubota B3350HSD and mid mount mower #7  
I have a B2650 cab with the 72"mmm, I spent four hours mowing with it last Saturday. I think it has plenty of power for the 72" but my yard is completely flat.

/ Kubota B3350HSD and mid mount mower #8  
I gots hills galore. You would NOT believe the slopes I operate on. Only rolled a tractor once. That IS a concern to me with this B3350 being higher up than my JD 650 with those low profile and WIDE Pillow-Dia tires with ballast. Such a concern that I am going to keep the old JD 650 until I am sure the new machine will safely meet the need.

About the Kubota description of the 72"mower, well, even the 60" center mount. The online literature remarks that the height setting for their mowers is adjusted by setting the height of the mower's wheels. On other center mount mowers, I do set the mower's wheels to ride about 1/2" above a smooth hard floor when the mower is supported by the rocker arm hydraulics (3 point hitch level). If the mower wheels support the mower, it seems like they would constantly be wearing out. Heck, I've replaced mine three times since 1982 even with the little wear they get riding with little to no weight on them, just turning mostly by contact with the grass and bumps and such. I guess I need to take that question to the Kubota forum.

prs

I'm not sure what other manufacturers call it. Kubota refers to the MMM (mid mount mowers) suspended and floating.

A suspended MMM is held up by the tractor when mowing, and the deck wheels are designed to be anti scalping. A floating MMM rides on the deck wheels and are theoretically designed for that purpose. I have read posts where owners of floating decks figured out effective ways of turning a floater into a suspended.

I have a B2920 with a suspended deck (60"). It has 21 PTO HP and will chop 8" grass with a deck height 4" with no problem. The suspended deck vs floating was the deal breaker for me because I was on the fence between a B2920 and a B3200 (floater).

Different parts of my property I like to finish mow at different heights. I would think frequently adjusting deck wheels would get tiresome.

Hopefully that clears up the kubota's terminology some. It is confusing unless one understands some kubota's vocabulary lol.

That makes sense. I am a suspender too and will not buy a floater. So, I am still shopping.........

prs

Well, I have gotten some other advice on the Kubota specific forum and it seems as if the hydraulics do lift and lower the deck and that you can use that lift to set the mower to ride off the wheels a bit and lock the downward travel of the rocker arm lever to achieve consistent lowest level. That is exactly what I am doing now. I will go to dealership and look it over to be sure.

Thanks guys!

prs