Quick.Need some opinions on International 584 !!!!

/ Quick.Need some opinions on International 584 !!!! #1  

Madman_Mark

Everything I've heard about them so far is good.
I'm going to look at one tommorrow.
Need to know what to look for etc... ?
Only has 1900 hrs on it.
2WD with a loader and a Farmi 351 winch and chains.

/ Quick.Need some opinions on International 584 !!!! #2  
Nice working tractor Mark. I sometimes cringe when people talk about being in the woods with a tractor but you will learn more when you look at it. One hidden thing to look for is the parking brake is a transmission unit that is easily over powered and burned out. Not cheap to fix. Otherwise they used the same rearend to 85 horsepower from the 52 that that is rated so there is a lot of longevity there.

/ Quick.Need some opinions on International 584 !!!! #3  
I drive a 584 and a 585 at least once a week! One is a 4x4 the other 2wd. Both the parking brakes don't work, I use the loader as a brake.

The shift linkage broke on one and was fixed, it is very worn now and has sloppy shifting. The hour meter broke 10 years ago at something like 3000 hours, probably has 5000+ on it now.

The other one has 1200 hrs and is like new.

They seem to go through a pile of water pumps.

Seem to be very rugged unit but they are big to try to squeeze into tight places. The 4wd w cab and loader is like 8000+ lb, the bare 2wd is ~5000 lbs.

The only thing they go through a lot of is tires, mostly the fronts on the 4wd.

A new starter is about 250$, been through a couple of them, the instruments and dash lighting seems to have stopped working too.

Hope this helps.
Ken

/ Quick.Need some opinions on International 584 !!!!
It also has a canopy on it and 1 owner.Sounds all right so far, let's hear more !

/ Quick.Need some opinions on International 584 !!!! #5  
Re: Quick.Need some opinions on International 584

The tractor sounds ok for what your looking for. Because it is 2WD, the fact that is is heavier should help. You know that for logging I personally think you need 4wd but if you are careful, you'll probably do ok with 2wd. The Farmi 351P is what I had before I traded up to the 501. It is a good winch, typically used on smaller tractors than you are talking about. It doesn't matter though because the clutch slips at the rated pull so the winch does not get harmed. One of the real strong points of the Farmi winch is its clutch which has a five year warranty and is easily replacable. I've heard of many Farmi winches that are 15 years old and still working fine.

Andy

/ Quick.Need some opinions on International 584 !!!! #6  
Well, I put a new battery in the 584 last night a soldered in a new lead for the cab fuse panel, I don't think that helps you!

The 2wd is pretty good with chains on. I like how much more tighter turning it is than the 4wd, although the loader on yours would reduce that a bit.

The seat can't really be moved far from the wheel but I find most tractors like that, end up cramped trying to put the brakes on.

If it is the factory loader, it is a nice quick detach setup but needs leg stands welded on. It is drive up and pin but without the leg stands it is a PITA to take it off.

Ken

/ Quick.Need some opinions on International 584 !!!! #7  
i am looking at a 584 this week too mark and i found this information helpful thanks

/ Quick.Need some opinions on International 584 !!!! #8  
Everything I've heard about them so far is good.
I'm going to look at one tommorrow.
Need to know what to look for etc... ?
Only has 1900 hrs on it.
2WD with a loader and a Farmi 351 winch and chains.

At 1900 hours, the original factory tires should be about shot and maybe ready for a new set all round. Ken Sweet

/ Quick.Need some opinions on International 584 !!!! #9  
At 1900 hours, the original factory tires should be about shot and maybe ready for a new set all round. Ken Sweet
They got ya Ken, this thread is almost 10 years old:)