Metal or plastic body?

/ Metal or plastic body? #1  

cmkh3

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 322
Does anyone have thoughts on;

What is the plus or minus to metal versus plastic body's on tractors?

Best
Chris

/ Metal or plastic body? #2  
Does anyone have thoughts on;

What is the plus or minus to metal versus plastic body's on tractors?

Best
Chris

There was a thread about this a while back, There are two camps, those that believe the plastic is fine, and those that prefer metal..I am in the metal camp, but I have had a tractor with plastic fenders, and it was fine for the time I owned it although some have cracked. My lawn mower (JD) has a plastic hood, and so far so good.

/ Metal or plastic body? #3  
I have no problem with fiberglass components but don't like plastic. I had a JD 332 and it had fiberglass hood and rear fenders/body molding (one piece) and it was good. I had a 1992 Oldsmobile that all the body was either fiberglass or aluminum (doors F.G.: hood and trunk, aluminum) Plastic is becoming the norm for automobiles and tractors it seems but they are hard/impossible to repair and most of them are joining into the replace when damaged category rather than enabling any kind of repair. I guess that wouldn't be too bad if the cost was low, but that isn't the case.
I would prefer steel for a tractor as you aren't trying to save weight and it can be pounded back into shape, welded etc.

I also don't understand why a tractor mfg would make axle housing of cast aluminum, again you don't want to save weight, you want heavier. With the prices charged, they could put some good old fashioned cast steel in them.

/ Metal or plastic body? #4  
Metal....one of the key reasons I did not buy a JD 1 series machine. I have plastic hoods on some of my other JD lawn mowers and they have cracked....no reason to expect their larger machine would be any different.

Yes I can see the it won't rust, but I don't really care...I take care of it and will fix it if I scratch it.

/ Metal or plastic body? #5  
I prefer metal, but I have had both and have green plastic at the moment and it is absolutely fine.

/ Metal or plastic body? #6  
Metal....one of the key reasons I did not buy a JD 1 series machine. I have plastic hoods on some of my other JD lawn mowers and they have cracked....no reason to expect their larger machine would be any different.

Yes I can see the it won't rust, but I don't really care...I take care of it and will fix it if I scratch it.

That's the two sides of the coin. I like my plastic because I know I would dent and scratch sheet metal and it would never get fixed. It's a tractor after all.

/ Metal or plastic body? #7  
Manufacturer's only make plastic parts because it's cheaper than metal and they don't care about quality anymore!!..Just don't plan on keeping your tractor parked outside in the sun too long if it's plastic because it will eventually fade and look like crap!!

/ Metal or plastic body? #8  
Manufacturer's only make plastic parts because it's cheaper than metal and they don't care about quality anymore!!..Just don't plan on keeping your tractor parked outside in the sun too long if it's plastic because it will eventually fade and look like crap!!

And get hard and crack. I also have JD plastic and mounting tabs are already busted off.

/ Metal or plastic body? #9  
The metal can fade just as quick as the plastic if not taken care of. You cant expect to leave them outside in the elements and the paint not to fade. My neighbor just bought a new left over TYM Cab Tractor, the loader is so faded it looks pink instead of red. This is a tractor that has never been used, just sitting at the dealer. It's cheap paint, not plastic vs metal, that causes the fading.

/ Metal or plastic body? #10  
Having owned, and currently own, both, I much prefer metal.

When I have gotten damage to my Deere's plastic parts, they crack leaving jagged sharp edges that are downright ugly and dangerous. You have to replace it (or remove permanently) from a safety standpoint, regardless of how you think it looks. The Deere replacement plastic body parts are pricey too, enough to make me pucker up.

In similar situations, metal scratches or dents. You can leave it alone, touchup the paint, bang it out, or replace it. More options, and the damaged part is not a ugly jagged shark-tooth eyesore waiting to hurt someone.

To me, fading/weathering is a secondary issue. I don't think plastic or painted metal are real different in that regard.