Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 322

Default Metal or plastic body?

Does anyone have thoughts on;

What is the plus or minus to metal versus plastic body's on tractors?

Best
    Chris

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: Metal or plastic body?

Quote Originally Posted by cmkh3 View Post
    Does anyone have thoughts on;

What is the plus or minus to metal versus plastic body's on tractors?

Best
    Chris
    There was a thread about this a while back, There are two camps, those that believe the plastic is fine, and those that prefer metal..I am in the metal camp, but I have had a tractor with plastic fenders, and it was fine for the time I owned it although some have cracked. My lawn mower (JD) has a plastic hood, and so far so good.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I have no problem with fiberglass components but don't like plastic. I had a JD 332 and it had fiberglass hood and rear fenders/body molding (one piece) and it was good. I had a 1992 Oldsmobile that all the body was either fiberglass or aluminum (doors F.G.: hood and trunk, aluminum) Plastic is becoming the norm for automobiles and tractors it seems but they are hard/impossible to repair and most of them are joining into the replace when damaged category rather than enabling any kind of repair. I guess that wouldn't be too bad if the cost was low, but that isn't the case.
    I would prefer steel for a tractor as you aren't trying to save weight and it can be pounded back into shape, welded etc.

I also don't understand why a tractor mfg would make axle housing of cast aluminum, again you don't want to save weight, you want heavier. With the prices charged, they could put some good old fashioned cast steel in them.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 650, Ford 8n, John Deere Model 70 Kubota BX25D

Metal....one of the key reasons I did not buy a JD 1 series machine. I have plastic hoods on some of my other JD lawn mowers and they have cracked....no reason to expect their larger machine would be any different.

Yes I can see the it won't rust, but I don't really care...I take care of it and will fix it if I scratch it.

Platinum Member

I prefer metal, but I have had both and have green plastic at the moment and it is absolutely fine.

Tractor
    John Deere 2320

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee140 View Post
    Metal....one of the key reasons I did not buy a JD 1 series machine. I have plastic hoods on some of my other JD lawn mowers and they have cracked....no reason to expect their larger machine would be any different.

Yes I can see the it won't rust, but I don't really care...I take care of it and will fix it if I scratch it.
    That's the two sides of the coin. I like my plastic because I know I would dent and scratch sheet metal and it would never get fixed. It's a tractor after all.

Tractor
    Bunton,massey ferguson

Manufacturer's only make plastic parts because it's cheaper than metal and they don't care about quality anymore!!..Just don't plan on keeping your tractor parked outside in the sun too long if it's plastic because it will eventually fade and look like crap!!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 650, Ford 8n, John Deere Model 70 Kubota BX25D

Quote Originally Posted by gemdiesel View Post
    Manufacturer's only make plastic parts because it's cheaper than metal and they don't care about quality anymore!!..Just don't plan on keeping your tractor parked outside in the sun too long if it's plastic because it will eventually fade and look like crap!!
    And get hard and crack. I also have JD plastic and mounting tabs are already busted off.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2013 John Deere 3032E

The metal can fade just as quick as the plastic if not taken care of. You cant expect to leave them outside in the elements and the paint not to fade. My neighbor just bought a new left over TYM Cab Tractor, the loader is so faded it looks pink instead of red. This is a tractor that has never been used, just sitting at the dealer. It's cheap paint, not plastic vs metal, that causes the fading.

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

Having owned, and currently own, both, I much prefer metal.

When I have gotten damage to my Deere's plastic parts, they crack leaving jagged sharp edges that are downright ugly and dangerous. You have to replace it (or remove permanently) from a safety standpoint, regardless of how you think it looks. The Deere replacement plastic body parts are pricey too, enough to make me pucker up.

In similar situations, metal scratches or dents. You can leave it alone, touchup the paint, bang it out, or replace it. More options, and the damaged part is not a ugly jagged shark-tooth eyesore waiting to hurt someone.

To me, fading/weathering is a secondary issue. I don't think plastic or painted metal are real different in that regard.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast