i think i need:

bucket loader (hydraulics)
3 point hitch
rear pto
rear hydraulics
blade
4wd
reliability

we are managing about 70 acres and it is a lot of clay and very soft at times.

need suggestions on a good tractor for the money. we have jd near but they seem out of my price range.

would like to spend around 10k if possible as we will probably need a pickup truck and an old jeep as well.

thanks!

/ need help selecting a tractor #2  
I would suggest you go to other dealer brands in your area and ask the same questions while also looking at the used equipment on the lots. Also go to a site like http://www.tractorhouse.com and click on, for example, the less than 40 horse tractor section (just how they are organized) and focus on the mid 30 to 40 hp tractors to get an idea of what used tractors fitting your description are going for price wise.

Gradually you will build a frame of reference and start to be able to judge your needs. All the major brands are pretty dependable, but your budget would suggest to consider looking at used. Nothing wrong with that as you should be able to find something that will serve you well.

With 70 acres I would suggest 25hp pto power as about a minimum and with soft clay etc. a frame size of compact on up.

/ need help selecting a tractor #3  
I would suggest you go to other dealer brands in your area and ask the same questions while also looking at the used equipment on the lots. Also go to a site like http://www.tractorhouse.com and click on, for example, the less than 40 horse tractor section (just how they are organized) and focus on the mid 30 to 40 hp tractors to get an idea of what used tractors fitting your description are going for price wise.

Gradually you will build a frame of reference and start to be able to judge your needs. All the major brands are pretty dependable, but your budget would suggest to consider looking at used. Nothing wrong with that as you should be able to find something that will serve you well.

With 70 acres I would suggest 25hp pto power as about a minimum and with soft clay etc. a frame size of compact on up.

I second this advice. Good luck !

/ need help selecting a tractor #4  
Gardening: Will this be a business? How large a garden in acres or feet? Is garden primary work area?

How much of the land you will work is sloped? How sloped? Tractor size requirements go up quickly if you have to pull implements up and down hills and 4-WD becomes a requirement.

For gardening, a PTO powered roto-tiller is more useful than a plow, which you need to pair with a Disc Harrow.

Bucket Loader is referred to as a Front End Loader (FEL). Four Wheel Drive (4-WD) is nearly essential to scoop up a full bucket of dirt.

Every tractor has a Three Point Hitch; every Three Point Hitch as hydraulic lift and Power Takeoff (PTO). You need a tractor with a Category '1' Three Point Hitch. Category 1 is by far the most common size. Category '0' will be too small.

It does not require much power to pull a Bush Hog, nor to drag trees, but you do need traction: i.e. 4-WD.

Of your 70 acres, how much will actually be worked and how much is forest?

Sub-compact tractors have only 9" of ground clearance. You probably need 12" - 14" of ground clearance to get into the woods.

A lot of tractor reliability comes from the operator. Will only family members be operating tractor? Employees are rough on equipment 99% of the time. How mechanically adept and prone to get your hand greasy are you? Greasing tractors is ongoing, especially in commercial applications.

Around Tallahassee you should have several tractor dealers offering a range of tractor brands.

Craig's List and eBay are places to shop, cautiously, for used tractors and implements on-line. Prices are lowest in late Fall and Winter.

LINK:

TractorData.com - Three-Point Hitch

Last edited:
   / need help selecting a tractor #5  
It sounds like you need something bigger than a sub-compact, and that's going to make $10K unlikely. If you're thinking new, it sounds like you need a minimum of around 30hp in the smaller compact size tractors (2,500lbs before the loader), 4wd and R1 tires (much better in clay/soft/mud). I would stay away from any of the Chinese tractors (Jinma, etc), and look at either LS, Kioti, or TYM as those three offer the most performance for the dollar right now.

As an example, the LS G3033 is probably what I would call the minimum size/power machine you'd need, and they're nearly $16K new (a bit over if you go with an HST transmission). Luckily, LS lets dealers advertise actual prices, so you can get an idea what they really go for. I would expect a bit more if you look at a similar Kioti, or TYM, but not much...maybe $1000-1500.

LS 3033 Tractor Loader compact

/ need help selecting a tractor #6  
I concur with GManBart's advice. You may or may not have LS, Kioti or TYM near Tallahassee.

/ need help selecting a tractor
I can squeeze a little more out of the budget if needed but is there a reason to go new? I usually buy used cars and from my understanding, tractors should last much longer than cars.

/ need help selecting a tractor #8  
Financing and warranty might be one reason to go new. Many brands offer 0% for fairly long terms.

/ need help selecting a tractor #9  
used is the only way you will find something to do what you want it to do for 10K

Now why do you need a Jeep?
most of what a jeep can do a tractor can do

/ need help selecting a tractor
0%? I'll have to look into that. The jeep is just to get around the land instead of a side by side. Something old like Willy's or a "newer" cj7 that the wife likes.