Buying Advice JD 4250

/ JD 4250 #1  

jlar

Tractor
Case
I am going to look at a John Deere 4250 tractor with quad range transmission. It has approx 4000 hours, have not seen the tractor yet. Was wondering how it compared to the 4240 and 4440 series. Would appreciate any thoughts or advice on pros and cons of this tractor, and what to look for when I look at the tractor. Thanks

/ JD 4250 #2  
JD 4250's are very good tractors. I've owned a 4255 since '93 that has over 10,750 hours on the tach with no overhaul that I've used JD Torq-Gard +50 oil changed every 250 hrs. One thing to keep in mind is the water pump is timing gear driven and if WP seal fails with a plugged weep hole the coolant ends up in crankcase. I had this happen once to my tractor. So engine oil gets checked "EVERY TIME" it's started for the day. IMHO my tractor is very economical on fuel as it uses a little 3 GPH of fuel pulling my JD 467 rd baler baling 5-1/2 tall,tight bales. Look for signs of wear on drawbar & 3 pt balls.

/ JD 4250 #3  
I can't remember the differences really between a 40 and 50 series, not a lot though, same basic tractor. Great machines.
When I was growing up on the farm we had 30, 40, and 50 series and I can't really recall that much different other than 4 post sucked compared to a cab UNLESS the AC wasn't working. :)

/ JD 4250 #4  
I had a 4230, 1979 model, 100 drawbar hp, naturally aspired with just under 4000 hrs when I bought it in about 2002. A 4430 I could have bought was the same basic engine with a turbo and put out 125 hp. Course it was 2k more and 10,000+ hrs. Story around here is that the 42 was a gutless 44. Mine did ok. I didn't need the 25 ponies, didn't want a turbo, and didn't want the wear and tear of 6k additional hours. It did like the fuel when you worked it hard. The only problem I had with mine was with the radiator. I assume the 4240 and 50 were just later models of the same basic tractor.

Oh there was one thing I didn't like. Mother Deere put one 6v battery on one side and another on the other adjacent to the starter running them in series. Bad design. I redid it with 2 12v batteries in parallel with 00 wires and it made a whopping difference in starting in the winter.

Mark

/ JD 4250 #5  
Those tractors were naturally heavy. It's heavier than most tractors of its time. I've got a 4850 that we use for tilling

/ JD 4250
Thanks for the input guys. The one I went to look at didn't pan out , but I'll keep on the look out for another. The advice is very much appreciated. Thanks

/ JD 4250 #7  
JD 4250's are very good tractors. I've owned a 4255 since '93 that has over 10,750 hours on the tach with no overhaul that I've used JD Torq-Gard +50 oil changed every 250 hrs. One thing to keep in mind is the water pump is timing gear driven and if WP seal fails with a plugged weep hole the coolant ends up in crankcase. I had this happen once to my tractor. So engine oil gets checked "EVERY TIME" it's started for the day. IMHO my tractor is very economical on fuel as it uses a little 3 GPH of fuel pulling my JD 467 rd baler baling 5-1/2 tall,tight bales. Look for signs of wear on drawbar & 3 pt balls.

Jim,
Since this thread is not working out for the OP I thought I would ask your opinion on buying a used 4255 with the power shift transmission. I know they can be costly to repair but how good are they in a general sense.. I was thinking about a good used tractor this size for my work and was looking at some of them this morning. Any information appreciated.

/ JD 4250 #8  
15 speed PS are very good trans. They are almost indestructible. IMHO every major repair is expensive. I wish my 4255 had been a PS. How much $$$$ is the tractor you're looking at?

/ JD 4250 #9  
Jim,
Haven't nailed down a specific tractor yet, just started looking today for something this size. I need it to use for small land leveling jobs and disking for prep work. Prefer to get something less than 14,000 lbs with 100+ hp, mfwd, possible fel, powershift, closed hydraulics and multiple remotes. Also prefer single rear wheels for easier transport.

So far the 4255s' I have looked at are running from $40k and up. The 6430s' are almost twice that, wondering if the newer 6430 is better from a cost stand point? Really think the older 4255 tractors may have more life in them but am no expert. One thing is certain I don't want to buy a new one for $100k, not in the cards.

/ JD 4250 #10  
4255 has very little electronics although mine will measure acres,distances,wheel slippage and record service intervals BUT it will start & run fine with those functions disabled. 55 series tractors especially low houred units command very high prices because they are GOOD. I also think mine is very good on fuel as it uses a little over 3 GPH pulling my JD 467 rd baler @ 6 mph making tight 66" tall bales.