brand new older tractors

/ brand new older tractors #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
New Holland Tractor TS100, Like Brand New
John Deere 4300 HST 4x4 ONLY 26 HOURS!

three years ago I bought a JD LX280 lawn tractor from a friend.
It was a 2004 model with .6 hours on it. He bought it, got tied up in work, stuck it in a basement garage
and forgot about it. Then business was poor for my old friend, and he knew I bought/collected mowers and machinery, and
he mentioned he had this mower in his basement. Well....what an incredibly nice mower. At half price.

Today in looking through the local CraigsList under farm and garden, which I do occasionally, I saw two almost brand new tractors that were well over three years old.

These tractors likely all have a story. Maybe prized so much they didn't want to use them? or a not very sensible purchase to make in the first place is more likely.
An expensive tool that sat, and sat, and sat. Maybe the owner got sick, who knows, but there must be a story to tell.

When I bought my JD mower, which had the nice Kawasaki twin in it, I immediately drained the oil and refilled it, sprayed WD-40 in the cylinder pretty well, and then after a few cranks, she started and I kept it at as low rpm as I could for a little bit, then that engine just purred. After sitting all those years. Fun to see actually.

So when you are looking for new, might pay to check around to see if one of these time machines are out there. If that New Holland Tractor was a Ford, that means a number of years ago, right? Thought it had been a while since Agco took them over.

/ brand new older tractors #2  
At the time I was buying there was a John Deere 1 series machine that was 2-3 years old (I don't remember now) that had .4 hours on it.

Story was that the old man passed right after he bought it but it took the estate and lawyers that long to get to the point where they could sell it. And if you have the cash it would have been a real good deal.....however with just about everyone offering 0% now it was actually cheaper in the long run for me to buy the new machine vs the old one.

It was at a JD dealer and they said they are having a hard time moving it. I told them I would be happy to buy it, but the price had to go down.....I expect it is still sitting there unless someone has the $18k in cash sitting around.

/ brand new older tractors
Cherokee, you bet, my Kubota is on zero percent financing. Somewhere between 20 and 40 percent has to come off before the lack of warranty and simple age will motivate most folk to get out their wallets I'd think. On an older unit, say more than five years old, ??whatever the buyer is willing to pay

/ brand new older tractors #4  
I agree new/old should be purchase at a steep discount.

/ brand new older tractors #5  
I don't know what they cost new, but a fiend of mine bought al new/old (200 hrs) 2010 50 hp Kubota 4wd tractor with loader for 20K. I would say he got a deal