Another newbie needing help selecting a utility tractor

/ Another newbie needing help selecting a utility tractor #1  

ctusdenny

Tractor
2005 Jinma 284
Hi. I just purchased 20 acres in Washington state (US), near Cashmere. I'm completely new to tractors, and have been reading through the forums here. A lot of good info, but figured I'd ask my questions outright.

Out of the 20 acres, the house sits on about 1.5 acres of flat ground. There is about 3/4 acre of lawn (grass). There is also a 2 acre grazing field and small barn. The rest of the land is pretty flat, but mostly wild grass and native growth.

I am looking for some help in choosing a decent utility tractor. I won't be working the land agriculturally, nor will I have any livestock on the property. We simply purchased the property as a secluded place to get away from the city (Seattle). I basically feel like I need a small tractor to:

1. Mow the wild grass and weeds around the property. (Don't need it for the lawn exactly, since I have a mower for that).

2. Basic tasks around the property (gardening work, etc)

3. Snow removal in the winter (driveway is about 300 ft to the road).

I'm not sure what HP would be sufficient? I'm thinking a small utility tractor with a loader, and a 48" or 60" brush mower. I'm not opposed to Chinese brands as I'm pretty good mechanically and can handle most maintenance and repairs on my own. Just don't want junk that won't hold up. Even with the modest use it will get, as I probably will only put 75-100 hours/ year on whatever I purchase.

Anyway, maybe some of you kind folks have some suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Another newbie needing help selecting a utility tractor #2  
What Tractor dealers are with in 50 miles of you?? What is your price range? Do you want New or used?

/ Another newbie needing help selecting a utility tractor #3  
Also consider if you need a cab. Not just for temperature, but to keep away bugs.

You could get away with almost any tractor, including a subcompact. Bigger will let you get your tasks done quicker is all.

New or used, then time frame. Want it sooner? Pay more. No hurry? Wait for that once in a blue moon deal, and have cash in hand.

The problem with some Chinese tractors is parts availability, not your skill level. Unless you can fabricate your own parts.

/ Another newbie needing help selecting a utility tractor
What Tractor dealers are with in 50 miles of you?? What is your price range? Do you want New or used?

Good questions. Thanks.

There are several tractor dealers around the area. There are lots of orchards and commercial farming close by. Some are selling New Holland, Kubota, John Deere, Ford, and several that also carry the less expensive Chinese brands, too.

I don't yet have a real price range. I haven't looked yet at any new tractors, just been researching online so far. The previous owner of the property had a relatively new Jinma 285 with FEL and brush mower attachment. I know this because I saw it in the garage when we were looking to buy the property. I tried to negotiate it into the price of the property, but he's keeping it. I'd like to find something in the $7-$8k range, so used is probably what I'm going to have to settle for. Which is fine, by the way. I'd prefer a used on to save some $$$.

/ Another newbie needing help selecting a utility tractor
The problem with some Chinese tractors is parts availability, not your skill level. Unless you can fabricate your own parts.

Good point. That is one of my concerns with the Chinese brands. And while I'm pretty handy, but making parts for a tractor doesn't sound like something I want to be doing.

/ Another newbie needing help selecting a utility tractor #6  
A daily check on CL for tractors may get you a good used tractor in your price range. I'd say anything in the 20-28 HP range with a 5' brush hog and a loader would work for you. Also Check your local dealers. Sometimes they take in trades.

/ Another newbie needing help selecting a utility tractor #7  
Just so you know, I consider Jinma an exception. There are enough around to find both parts and help if needed.

Not that you should decide anything based on my opinion! :laughing:

/ Another newbie needing help selecting a utility tractor #8  
Just a word on terminology -

Often we think of several "classes" of tractors, primarily based on size.

SubCompact Utility Tractors or SCUTs typified by the Kubota BX series, usually kind of small front wheels and under 25HP

Compact Utility tractors or CUTs typified by the Kubota B and L series, about 20 to 45HP

Utility tractors typified by Kubota M series 50HP plus

Then I guess around 80 to 100 HP you get into Ag tractors.

For 20 acres and 8K your in older CUT category, not impossible but but will take some looking.

Prices have been going up.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?Manu=KUBOTA&MDLGrp=B7610 is an example - in 2009 I bought my 2007 B7610, w 240 hrs, w/ FEL, Boxblade AND trailer

mykub1small.JPG

for 11.5K off CL. At that time a fair deal for a 2 year old tractor. Today the SAME 2007 equipment would probably go for more.

For 20 acres a 30HP would probably do well.

/ Another newbie needing help selecting a utility tractor #9  
. . . Some are selling New Holland, Kubota, John Deere, Ford, . . . I'd prefer a used one to save some $$$.
Any of those should be fine. I'm sure that someone will flame me for saying this, but I try to steer people away from the "off-brand" tractors. Tractors are machines. Sooner or later, you will need parts, service, dealer support, etc.
Take the local NH/Kubota dealer. Same owner, same location, even the same service manager, for decades.
Or the JD dealer. Current owner is the second generation of the same family. His dad opened the dealership in the 1930's.
Compare that, for example, with the local Mahindra dealer that has changed ownership and locations 4 times in the last 10-12 years.

/ Another newbie needing help selecting a utility tractor #10  
Any of those should be fine. I'm sure that someone will flame me for saying this, but I try to steer people away from the "off-brand" tractors. Tractors are machines. Sooner or later, you will need parts, service, dealer support, etc.
Take the local NH/Kubota dealer. Same owner, same location, even the same service manager, for decades.
Or the JD dealer. Current owner is the second generation of the same family. His dad opened the dealership in the 1930's.
Compare that, for example, with the local Mahindra dealer that has changed ownership and locations 4 times in the last 10-12 years.
Or worse - what will be the fate of many "chinese" tractor dealerships? It seems tier 4 is making them cut back severely.