Comparison Identifying my Ford Tractor

/ Identifying my Ford Tractor #1  

Daves641

Tractor
Ford 641 Workmaster
Hi all, I have a 1961 ford tractor that I'm trying to identify. The numbers above the serial number are 841-L. My research shows that is a 172ci engine, 4 speed, wide front end. The tractor has 641 workmaster decals on the hood and the hood and grill look like a 641. The grill on the 841 is different than mine. Did they put a 172ci motor in a 641? The ones I've seen have the 134ci motor.
Thanks, Dave

/ Identifying my Ford Tractor #2  
No. Did someone change engines over the years? Highly possible but there are a lot of parts larger on the 800 series and the engines may not line up for a swap out. Decals however, can be easily changed. Possibly the guy putting the decals on didn't know he had a 600 series. Anything's possible with old farm machinery.

Mark

/ Identifying my Ford Tractor
Hey Mark. I've found out that by the engine casting, it's a 134ci between 1958-59. I am thinking the tractor is probably a 600 with the bell housing changed out sometime so that's why it shows 841-L stamped on the id. It's been this way since I have owned it.
Thanks for your help.
Dave

/ Identifying my Ford Tractor #4  
No. Did someone change engines over the years? Highly possible but there are a lot of parts larger on the 800 series and the engines may not line up for a swap out. Decals however, can be easily changed. Possibly the guy putting the decals on didn't know he had a 600 series. Anything's possible with old farm machinery.

Mark

wrong wrong wrong!

ALL the 134, 144, 172 and 192 ci gas, lp, and diesel 4 cyl prior OHV red tiger based engines bolt up to ALL ford bolsters and trannies fom 1953 thru 1964

With a lil care and parts finagling as to respect to spline counts and pedal locations, you can mix and match trannies and rear ends from 55 thru 64, keeping in mind that you want to keep SOS trannies and rears together .

/ Identifying my Ford Tractor #5  
Hey Mark. I've found out that by the engine casting, it's a 134ci between 1958-59. I am thinking the tractor is probably a 600 with the bell housing changed out sometime so that's why it shows 841-L stamped on the id. It's been this way since I have owned it.
Thanks for your help.
Dave

yep. swaps happen. it's common.

I have a put together mutt that works out to be a 941D it has the 172 engine and factor wide rowcrop front of a 901 diesel, a 641 ag chassis tranny, and a rowcrop rear end. tinwork shows the front came from a SOS tranny machine... as mentioned trans came from an ag chassis 641, and rowcrop rear.. who knows.. 58 and up.. probably 901gear model rear though.. thus she's made of 3 machines.

I have a 63 or 64 2000 that is now 3 machines. only the rear end is now the 2000 as the trans was changed from a 641 when i got it.. and now it has a 134ci engine from an earlier unit.

My NAA has a later 134ci engine.

I have a 950 that is true heinz 57.. it has parts from at least 7 tractors on it.

/ Identifying my Ford Tractor #6  
And just what's so wrong wrong wrong with my answer? Seems in your second reply to this post you have done just what I said COULD happen, many times.

Sour note!

/ Identifying my Ford Tractor #7  
And just what's so wrong wrong wrong with my answer? Seems in your second reply to this post you have done just what I said COULD happen, many times.

Sour note!

there are a lot of parts larger on the 800 series and the engines may not line up for a swap out.

here's the part you are wrong about.

ALL the 53+ engines BOLT to ALL the trans, all the 55+ trans BOLT to ALL the REAR ends.

ALL front bolsters from 53-64 BOLT up to ALL the red tiger engines produced from 53-64

front and rear hub lugnut patterns are the same from 47 thru 64 so rims even swap. IE.. i had an 8n rim on a 950 rowcrop.

saying some of the 800 parts might not fit was the issue.

same starter. same hydro pump. same ps pump all ag models used the same steering box, front leaf axle and radius rods. all 53-64 tin can be mad to fit as long as you don't try to stick a 15g gas tank under a 10g hood, unless you move the hinges.

Blindly warning someone that their 600 and 800 parts likely won't swap does a huge diservice.

I agree on the sour note. I'd have felt sour too if I had passed on bad info like that as well!

/ Identifying my Ford Tractor #8  
here's the part you are wrong about.

ALL the 53+ engines BOLT to ALL the trans, all the 55+ trans BOLT to ALL the REAR ends.

ALL front bolsters from 53-64 BOLT up to ALL the red tiger engines produced from 53-64

front and rear hub lugnut patterns are the same from 47 thru 64 so rims even swap. IE.. i had an 8n rim on a 950 rowcrop.

saying some of the 800 parts might not fit was the issue.

same starter. same hydro pump. same ps pump all ag models used the same steering box, front leaf axle and radius rods. all 53-64 tin can be mad to fit as long as you don't try to stick a 15g gas tank under a 10g hood, unless you move the hinges.

Blindly warning someone that their 600 and 800 parts likely won't swap does a huge diservice.

I agree on the sour note. I'd have felt sour too if I had passed on bad info like that as well!

Well I whipped out my 1955-60 service manual on the Ford hundred series and had a look yesterday. A parts list would have been more helpful. I have had a lot of different tractors over the years, numerous Fords and MFs. Easy to get confused when it has been a long time. Part of my reply was based upon the 2000 and 4000 sitting side by side and looking at the rear ends. However, you ought to know. You seem to be the resident expert. You have enough of them in your ID box.

Oh and I did include the word MAY not fit as a precautionary note. I guess you dispelled that myth so I guess the information that Dave received from this post will be beneficial to him.

Mark

/ Identifying my Ford Tractor #9  
3 cyl 2000-4000 are completely different animals from the prior models

a prior 4000 is a spruced up 801

a 3 cyl 4000 is aa monster and bares no resemblence